Author Topic: The MaxBlaster vs. The Torch  (Read 6164 times)

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
The MaxBlaster vs. The Torch
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:53:04 AM »
I'm starting this thread after coining this name (sorry if someone else has already used "The MaxBlaster" for another light) to post about a 2D Maglite mod that I bought from Mad Maxabeam, after making sure it was ok with him. I have no interest or relationship with him other than buying some of his custom made lights, and enjoying our PM's back and forth.

For a while, I was unable to get one of Mac's Torches after seeing the much publicized YouTube video, so I got a 2D model from Mad Maxabeam. Both lights used the Osram 64623 100W bulb and 14.4 v NiMH battery (12 cell) packs. The USL group buy project is another variation on the theme, but uses a different bulb and other components.

I was very happy with Mad's light, until I got one of Mac's Torches. I then noticed Mac's was shorter and brighter, as well as putting out more heat. I did find that I needed two hands to push Mac's tailcap button, but otherwise it just outperformed Mad's. I think it must be due to the lower resistance in how Mac made his, including the tailcap switch design...so BIG Prop's to Mac !

Quite frankly, my Mad 2D model was becoming a shelf duster....until he came up with a new idea in response to my PM's. Today I got a new design from MadMax, where the key is having added a 13th battery. This 13th cell brings the pack voltage up to 15.6V....and what a difference that extra battery makes !!!

I don't yet have an easy way to do comparison beam shots for such power lights, but you can be sure that the new "MaxBlaster" 15.6V 2D light is significantly brighter and easily puts out more heat than either of the two previously discussed lights (& verified with my own fancy fireplace newspaper test).

There are pro's and con's with both lights, as is usually the case with anything custom built. Mac's Torch is just over an inch shorter, and has a silky smooth operating tailcap button. Mad's MaxBlaster has the new higher voltage pack (brighter & more heat output), and by keeping the stock side button, it allows easy one hand operation which I prefer.

The craftsmanship of both lights is superb....and use the same bulb and reflector. Anyone should be totally thrilled to get either one of these lights....but Mad has more than made up for the lower resistance that Mac achieved, by simply adding more power.

He obviously added the extra battery at the tailcap end to keep the 2D size, and now includes the spring as a part of the new battery pack. Quite ingenious IMHO, and it fits easily and perfectly in the same light with the normal tailcap spring removed. (The above 13.2V pack was also from MadMax to be used with the Osram 64625 or 62138 100W bulbs which reportedly have a nicer color and less artifacts...and which I plan on using with a new 3" reflector head coming soon.)

Hot off the charger, this new 13 cell battery pack was about 19.2V (!!!), but should be rested for 1-2 hours until the voltage is in the 18.4-18.5V range to avoid flashing the bulb. The previous MadMax & Torch 14.4V battery packs end up at about 15.9-16.2V after sitting a few hours...so you can see the advantage of The MaxBlaster.

I am intentionally avoiding any discussion of the pricing and availability of both lights, but at my last set of transactions, Mad's was a bit cheaper and more available. Mad has been wonderful and responsive to my PM's...so I'll leave that step up to you all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:28:23 AM by LuxLuthor »

Offline kiely23

• 23 - "haben ist besser als brauchen"
    • View Profile
Re: The MaxBlaster vs. The Torch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:32:05 AM »
 8)
Use this pack the new Elite 2/3 A 1500mAh cells? Where can i buy this new battery pack?
I will take it!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:43:57 AM by kiely23 »
- have a good time... -
Dragonheart, Chameleon, LionCub, LionHeart, Orb Raw Da, Spy005, Gatlight V2 Al / V3 Tux, Exolion Ti, Draco, E-Micro, Neoca Wood, Arc LS, Carribean Ti, ORB Raw, Amilite T3, Jet-1, Nitecore, Arc AAA Chimo miniFluPic - MiniHID, Maxblaster, Mag85R, Mag11, etc.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:49:20 AM »

Love those power lights. Hope they become more available. Nice post Lux.

One thing I'd like to see the makers of these SUPERLIGHTS do. Incorporate a charging jack in the design at the  REAR or SIDE of these lights.

The short run-time of these lights require frequent charging and they would get much more useage if it were convienent to charge them.

:thumbup:

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:13 AM »
Yeah, good point...but that's why I have two packs  :)   Also, both the Torch and MaxBlaster have more precise threading, or less spring pressure which makes it easy to screw/unscrew compared to all my other Maglites.  I don't think Mac's design would lend itself to a tailcap charger, since the switch is there.

These two lights are more for a "blow your mind" effect, than being practical with regards to run time...kind of like the Larry14K airplane lights.  I tend to use these when outside in shorter bursts though, so they do last me quite a while...that's one of the reasons I like Mad's being able to keep the side button....quick & easy on/off action.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
Ahh, but it's so easy to slap that charging plug in without unscrewing the cap and as Ron Popeil says "set it and for get it"

Everytime I put a few minutes on mine I fell I need to charge it especially given the short run-time of the light and the self-discharge of the NIMH. Use it a few minutes and let it sit up you might only have 2 or 3 minutes of runtime...    Being the connoisseur of five-mega lights, you know what I'm talking about ease of charging!

From the looks of the tail-cap spring Max installed on that pack. Putting a built-in charging jack would jump right in there!

Macs    "Little Mac" Super MagCharger utilizes the side button so that should be no problem. I realize the rear switch is 10amp but I prefer the side button also... Once flashoholics get a taste of Plug and Play they won't go back to swapping batteries... I can't !!!
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
Lux

Where did Max's host come from. Did he fin the head himself?

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »
I don't know.

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 01:42:49 AM »
15.6v in a 2D!... how much?
nemul

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
15.6v in a 2D!... how much?

More than fair...but you didn't read my last sentence of my first post.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »
On the resistance issues:  Wondering why theres resistance there...

What does the Bi pin holder look like on Mads unit.

Was a sping tail-cap mod done on Mads unit.

On Mads side button is anything Modded to handle all that power.

I believe Mads pack is welded and should have very little resisance.

Have you asked him about putting a charging plug in the end of his pack. (This would also give a vent hole relieve for venting failures on these lights)

What's the word...

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »
On the resistance issues:  Wondering why theres resistance there...

As you know, there is resistance in all lights.  Mac's design of the tailcap switch and bulb holder looks like he dealt with it better. But Mad did do the extra wire coming down through the Bi-Pin KIU holder/stock Maglite switch assembly and soldered into where the (+) end of battery pack makes contact with bottom of black plastic Mag switch assembly.  Mac has some other KIU setup that does not include the side switch.

What does the Bi pin holder look like on Mads unit.

Same as Mac's.  That silver KIU type setup with the two slots that you stick the bipin into.

Was a sping tail-cap mod done on Mads unit.

On the previous 14.4V battery pack version, yes there was a heavy wire soldered to connect the bottom and top of the tailcap spring.  However, as my images show, on the new 15.6V battery pack, he put the spring inside the end of the battery pack...but it still does have a thick wire coming from battery pack to end of the spring to further reduce resistance...which you can see in my photos.

On Mads side button is anything Modded to handle all that power.

All I can do is take off the rubber boot, and see it is a stock Maglite switch, but looking inside the tube, as I mentioned above, he did run a heavy guage wire down through the plastic and soldered to the (+) battery contact point...and which I assume goes up to help improve current flow to the bulb.

I believe Mads pack is welded and should have very little resisance.

Correct, and he makes the 14.4V packs for Mac's Torch now.

Have you asked him about putting a charging plug in the end of his pack. (This would also give a vent hole relieve for venting failures on these lights)

No, because personally these tail caps are so much more precise, and not under that heavy typical tailcap spring tension, that makes them  extremely easy to screw on and off to remove the batteries...and I don't see an easy, safe way to put a tailcap charging pin the way it is setup in the 2D size.  I personally don't really like that other Mag Charger Torch version as compared to this one.  I think it is too big, too many parts, and I deal with the short run time by having two battery packs.  I can swap one in no more than 10 seconds.  Personal preference.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:08:25 AM by LuxLuthor »