Author Topic: FiveMega 1450L HotWire  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
Re: FiveMega 1450L HotWire
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 04:54:47 AM »
I'll tell you the best kickass output in a 1.5 Shorty that uses 4 x 14670 and Turbo FM3H-2 and the 43W Carley for 1500 output with a double click.  Unbelievable.

Lux

is the 4 x 14670  (2s2p  -   2200 mah) setup with the 43 w bulb going over 2 C

I haven't tried that with mine yet but I bet it is something to see in a small package, May be one of the smallest - brightest 1D setups ever...

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 05:11:32 AM »
Holy sweeeet........  I have a 1450L coming to me via snailmail now.... (should have upgraded to Global Priority.... :'( )  I also have a FM3H-2 coming to me too!  I can't wait!!!!  Good times are coming!

Hey Lips, do you use the charging jack to recharge your 2p4s battery pack?  Lux has raised some potential issues with "pack" charging these Li-ion cells... and I tend to agree with him.  Chances are low that something will go wrong, however, I probably wouldn't chance it.

Awesome setup you got there! 

Donald

Hey Wave,  you know everyone should educate themselves about using Lith Ion before going that route. Education and safety precautions abound.

For me I won't buy another light without a charging jack (unless it's extra special :D) I only use protected cells and have 5 of the universal chargers of varying design. For me its the most efficient - effective and safest way to go at this point in time...

These Lithium lights are a little more $ to get into but there advantages are worth it. Great lights!   :thumbup:

Edit:

Forgot to mention as Lux brought to our attention the need to balance every so often the packs in these lights, especially if they see allot of use. There are a ton of lights out there like the barn burner/Xerays - Rayzors - Microfires - on and on that use large packs with no way to balance the lithium at this time. I think these hot-wires should be fine with some smarts and attention paid to them...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:22:06 AM by Lips »
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:31 AM »
does balancing the cells mean to routinely take them out to charge them seperately?
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 09:57:28 AM »
does balancing the cells mean to routinely take them out to charge them seperately?

Yup

or make sure there close to same voltage...  nice to have this builti into charger and bat holder...

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »
I have been finding that unlike the RC guys that learned a long time ago about the need for careful Li-Ion charging, and balancing of their packs....most at CPF don't understand the dangers.  FiveMega's battery packs are not safe to charge with the universal chargers because there is no monitoring of individual cells.  That has to be done with separate tap wires going to each battery, and those tap leads go into a battery charger "balancer" feature that is sampling all the cells and adjusting voltage to each of them to keep them balanced at the same voltage.

You could make an FM battery pack have balancing taps going to each battery connection with some wires & solder, but you cannot solder to the battery terminal itself.  I threw out my universal Lithium chargers...they are dangerous...once Alin was made to understand how dangerous, he finally stopped selling them.  If you look at a typical RC LiPo pack you see the balancing leads and main red/black wires.  None of that is setup on our flashlight packs.  At least the XeRay pack has 3 parallel sets of 4 Li-Ion cells and a PCB that is comparing the voltage of one set of 4 cells against the other 2 sets...so there is some balancing going on.  I took mine apart here.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »
I use my universal charger for the multicell NiMH packs in my X990, Torch, and Mag85 - is that still OK?
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »
There are not the same risks with NiMH or NiCd.  The explosions and fire incidents are with LiPo and Li-Ion cells.  The newer Lithium Phosphate batteries do not have these dangers, but are not available in many cell sizes yet (not to mention higher prices).  Here's a couple threads to get an idea..and note the RC Groups thread was closed quite a while ago.

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »
I'll tell you the best kickass output in a 1.5 Shorty that uses 4 x 14670 and Turbo FM3H-2 and the 43W Carley for 1500 output with a double click.  Unbelievable.

Lux

I haven't tried that with mine yet but I bet it is something to see in a small package, May be one of the smallest - brightest 1D setups ever...

Lips, this is the light (I didn't see you on the GB list), and it is not 2s2p like for the other shortie here, which you did get.  Note the difference of the body grooving. 

The first link uses 4s-1p to get the 14.8V you need to drive the Carley 43W.  This shortie needs a double click to warm up the bulb, and light it due to the 2A PC in the AW 14670.  Put an FM3H-2 on it and you have a shortie rocket that keeps the 4s-2p red versions we got happy.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »

Lux

Lips, this is the light (I didn't see you on the GB list), and it is not 2s2p like for the other shortie here, which you did get.  Note the difference of the body grooving. 

The first link uses 4s-1p to get the 14.8V you need to drive the Carley 43W.  This shortie needs a double click to warm up the bulb, and light it due to the 2A PC in the AW 14670.  Put an FM3H-2 on it and you have a shortie rocket that keeps the 4s-2p red versions we got happy.

Ok that's the one I didn't get 4s-1P. I think if I get the battery holder it would work in my 700L 1.5D though

FiveMega said "1450 Lumen bulb requires double click and load is over 2C"   That 14670 bat is only 1100 mah so 2c = 2.2 amp draw. I believe the 43w carly is pulling 2.9 amps so your going over pretty far with that bulb. Wouldn't run it too long at .7 amps over 2c...   I may be wrong though...

By the way, Nice work on the ballancing battery holders. Petrev is tops too   :thumbup:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 08:46:07 AM »
I have been finding that unlike the RC guys that learned a long time ago about the need for careful Li-Ion charging, and balancing of their packs....most at CPF don't understand the dangers.  FiveMega's battery packs are not safe to charge with the universal chargers because there is no monitoring of individual cells.  That has to be done with separate tap wires going to each battery, and those tap leads go into a battery charger "balancer" feature that is sampling all the cells and adjusting voltage to each of them to keep them balanced at the same voltage.

You could make an FM battery pack have balancing taps going to each battery connection with some wires & solder, but you cannot solder to the battery terminal itself.  I threw out my universal Lithium chargers...they are dangerous...once Alin was made to understand how dangerous, he finally stopped selling them.  If you look at a typical RC LiPo pack you see the balancing leads and main red/black wires.  None of that is setup on our flashlight packs. 

At least the XeRay pack has 3 parallel sets of 4 Li-Ion cells and a PCB that is comparing the voltage of one set of 4 cells against the other 2 sets...so there is some balancing going on.  I took mine apart here.

The Rayzors have similar electronics in the battery pacs that if I remember correctly check 11 criteria including moister of the pack.

But still you have no balancing or monitoring between the 4 cells in the parallel set, so in reality instead of 12 little bombs making 1 big bomb you have 4 medium bombs making 1 big bomb. There are many of main-stream lights out on the market including Xeray, Rayzor, Microfire Warrior HID, AE Powerlight so on and so on charging Lithium Ion in Series without balancing... Are they safe, hmm...

I don't see how that makes the above lights any safer than a FiveMega Pack that you can manually balance every so often...

I'll feel better when we get balancing charged options for sure.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »
I use my universal charger for the multicell NiMH packs in my X990, Torch, and Mag85 - is that still OK?

I was sitting in my home office after hooking up my chager to a pack of 9 x CBP1650's. Heard what I thought was 2 bottle rockets going off outside. Jumped up and looked at battery pack, nothing, went outside, nothing, went back to battery pack and smelled the venting incident.

This CBP1650 vented in the pack in the glass cooking dish...  No fire though  ;)

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »
You are right about the various Lithium battery packs.  I can tell it hit a nerve after pointing it out and getting no response.  Part of the problem with the long established uses of Lithium cells is the s**t really didn't hit the fan until the fires happened on airplanes, and with laptops, leading to millions of li-ions being recalled.  If you stop and think about all the cell phones, computers, button lithium cells, LiPo, Li-Ion cells...most don't want to do anything more than they have to.

The RC dudes learned about the dangers because they push the crap out of their cells, charging them at 5-10C, crashing them into the ground, etc. etc.  Not that many other users of Lithium's push them in ways that increase the fires and explosions...but high current flashlights with protected and unprotected Li-Ion cells and incorrect charging is putting our group at a lot higher risk than we need to.

I still can't get over that with all these Li-Ion rechargeable cells, there is no easy way to safely charge them with balancing, other than a 2 slot Pila charger.  Not even any safe cradles/chargers that are setup for this need.  I'm trying to get a guy who runs a large RC supply site to make these so we can have convenient, safe Li-Ion charging...and the Voltronic cradle one of them found in Europe is pretty close to what we need.

Next step is to see if there is a safe, reliable way to put charging taps in FM's battery packs.