Author Topic: Wire Wound Maglites  (Read 3367 times)

Offline WillM

• View Profile
Wire Wound Maglites
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »
I wanted to do something a little different with the 2 AA mini-mag. I had some wire, the lathe and some time – so – this is what I ended up with.

Interesting little side note. I tried to clear powder coat the wire part. They came out looking like Mister Bubble. The powder coat effectively sealed the wire. There is air trapped between each coil of the wire. Powder coat requires 380 degrees to cure the powder, as the trapped air heated, it expanded and formed lots of bubbles on the surface. as the saying goes - some you win, some you lose.

This is the setup to wind them,

note: these can’t be used as an electro magnet, the wire is not insulated and the ends are cut off inside the body.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 09:07:10 PM by WillM »

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
Re: Wire Wound Maglites
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
thats neat
nemul

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »
Interesting!  What type of wire?

Look nice !
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline WillM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »
I picked up some bare wire at a craft store, one is gold colored, the other silver, the color is through the wire , not just coated. They both are 24AWG. I had tried to get some bare copper - no luck

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 02:14:06 AM »
Cool.  Will, the Mag body master. :thumbup:

Offline WillM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »
How did I do it?

There is a .022 inch hole at each end, the wire is pushed through that. I ground out a little dimple on the inside of each body where the hole is. I bent the wire inside and put a little Pro Weld - cold welding compound (steel epoxy) there to prevent the wire from coming loose. The outside of the body has been turned down .020 inch. the thickness of the wire. I also put a thin layer of the pro weld to cover the entire area that was turned down.

I put the wire through the hole, wind a few turns to get it started, turn on the lathe ( very slow ) and keep the wire slightly behind the last loop on the body. The small wood blocks keep tension on the wire. I advance the carriage manually, get near the end, do the last few loops manually. put the end of the wire after the last loop through the other hole. bend it on the inside. a little more pro weld and it is almost done.

Some of the pro weld comes up through the loops. I cleaned that off with some lacquer thinner. I finished with a coat of lacquer..

easy - right ...