Author Topic: Five Mega 2 Inch Deep Reflector SHOOT-OUT  (Read 9376 times)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
Re: Five Mega 2 Inch Deep Reflector Updated 04/18/06
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 01:36:28 PM »
Crop of Road shot added.   Looks like SMO wins the throw contest...
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline andrewwynn

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • MiniMighty Page
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 01:22:24 AM »
i bored out one of these for a Mag138.. it's incredible. I wasn't happy with the results with the Mag625 so i sold the reflector to the buyer of my Mag138... but I have a second i didn't bore out and plan to try it with my M66 and other lights.

-awr
Regulated hotwire driver. click here now for the Surefire M6
3-level high-power LED drop-in for mag. click here (coming soon)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 04:34:44 AM »
I have one being bored out to fit the MINI HID as a test.   2 inch deep throw demon or Junk   We shall see!
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 08:36:28 PM »
I have one being bored out to fit the MINI HID as a test.   2 inch deep throw demon or Junk   We shall see!

:popcorn:
nemul

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Re: Five Mega 2 Inch Deep Reflector SHOOT-OUT
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 10:23:15 PM »
It worked but not steller...

This thing deserves a bump!

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 07:41:37 PM »
One thing that is critical with using these 2" deep reflectors is to make sure the bulb is perfectly centered.  I usually have to remove the head 4-5 times to get it perfect.  I can tell your beamshots do not have it centered right.  FM just found another batch of 20+ of these he had hidden in a back room and forgot about them....but I'm sure more are coming....keep your eyes open.  Not sure if he posts on this forum or only on CPF's.

I'm gonna see how these (or a future version he comes out with) works with the 625 torch/mad max lights...but I hate using a MagLite with a WA bulb without one of these deep babies.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:19 PM »
Lux you are the king of the 2 inch reflectors   :thumbup:

Those 3 inch mag heads (3 different people offering) popping up recently is really good news too.

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 02:50:22 AM »
I have two of these 2D size 9x2/3A NiMH 1185 FM lights, and I have been waiting (& waiting) to get a hotdriver from AWR, because if I don't let this rest for a couple hours, I will instaflash the 1185...then it takes forever to get the new bulb perfectly centered in the deep reflector again so my beam is perfect.  One you get it set...it is sooo sweet.

I'm wondering if it is turning out to be impossible to get 3.5" or 4" quality reflectors for the maglites...since they would be so nice for these WA bulb Mags, as well as the Torch Osram larger bulbs.  I sure think there would be a great demand for a 4" reflector, but have never seen anyone willing to take it on.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 11:59:59 PM »

One thing that is critical with using these 2" deep reflectors is to make sure the bulb is perfectly centered.  I usually have to remove the head 4-5 times to get it perfect.  I can tell your beamshots do not have it centered right. 

The Mag85 was centered. This shot gives a good idea of the different beams…

Nemul did this great rendition of what’s going on with SMO and 2 inch deep

Nemul - you gotta teach me how to do this little trick!

For Max throw the standard SMO reflectors appears to be outperforming the 2 inch deep; even in flood-foreground. 2 inch deep reminds me of a Light Stipple with better hot-spot...

I have a 3.5 Chrome head from FiveMega coming (under LunarModules name).  I bet the 3 inch heads will do as well or better because of the 3.5 poor reflector coating (for now atleast)…

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
That is pretty hard to figure out how he did that picture, but if you open it in a GIF viewer, there are actually 20 individual pictures that he put in the single "GIF" image file....and like animated smileys...it plays through all 20 frames.  I'm not sure how he actually got each of the frames, or if there is some automated "transition" program like those clips that change a person's face to someone elses.  Could be that program did it...otherwise, it would be impossible to reliably get all the frames in between as individual photos. 

I can definitely say that is not how my 2" deep behaves.  I have three sets of identical FM Maglites, and can compare them side by side to see easily that the deep reflector is much better at a brighter hotspot and throw.  Two sets use 1185, and third pair of lights uses 1331 (700L model).  Someday I'll get some beamshots.  These are the lights:

1185 #1
1185 #2
1331 700L