Author Topic: Roar of the Pelican build instructions  (Read 30342 times)

Offline Kryosphinx

• View Profile
Re: Roar of the Pelican build instructions
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 10:59:53 PM »
I've got a reflector with an 8mm hole, and the ROP high bulb fits just fine. My only problem is that the bulb is potted kinda crooked, so the edge barely scrapes the reflector. YMMV

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 03:56:11 AM »
Can someone please measure the diameter of both ROP bulbs? I have one of those ~8mm hole alu mag reflector and the low ROP looks a bit too wide.

ROP Low  =  7.5mm
ROP High  =  7.8mm

New Fully Protected 18650 2200mah Lith Ion batteries fire up both bulbs without double click. Nice and white.   Modamags new MOP puts an awesome beam on the 2C frame.   $18 2c,   $10 2bulbs, $12 for both batteries, $20 reflector. Best deal around...
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 07:35:38 AM »

New Fully Protected 18650 2200mah Lith Ion batteries fire up both bulbs without double click.

Wrong      Fully Protected 18650 to run ROP HI not here yet...
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 01:47:56 PM »

Here ya go Hburner (Ron) 

I choose to use the small magnets in the black 2c setup myself but don't advocate it to others...

Tailcap in this 2c Black   De anodized with Drimel   3 magnets used...

These are the shims used to "set and forget" the Reflector Height Adjustment for non-cammed Reflectors. Bulb can be tightened in PR base with lock nut so it's bulb bat-wings are parrel to ground.

Some Gravy Shots!
1D FiveMega HA-III    RopLE FM HA-III 2c     RopLE Black 2c    FM700L 1.5D Chrome    FM Rop 17500x6 2D    SF M6

The 1D FiveMega HA-III  is absolutely Awesome.     The 700L is one of my favorites...

Cheers

Questions,   fire away!

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 04:36:20 PM »
Sweet!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline hburner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks a million Lips! I just need to find a good source for a reflector and I will ready to go with my first Mag mod. I was reading last night and really found the new? Stippled reflectors ineresting. But where to get them? Thanks again!

Offline hburner

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »
How is the throw with those reflectors you have installed Lips? I am trying to get the med. stippled one but may just get a MOP instead because of the availibilty of them, Thanks hburner.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 01:12:49 AM »

My favorite reflectors now are from Litho123 Here          (Camless 1940mod)

His are reflectors are extremely versatile with a great hole size for many bulbs. He has a chart at the beginning of the thread...

I have almost all of them but use mostly the SMO reflectors for max throw. The bat-wings don't bother me like they used to. A good all around is the MOP reflector. The med-heavy Stipple will definitely smooth out the beam for you. The RopLE is not a super-power light so I would suggest one of the lighter refracted reflectors for it. Those in the picture are LOP and MOP I believe. Heck get 3 different version, you'll use them eventually!

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
Yo, how do you folks calibrate the reflectors for optimum focus? Or do you just smack 'em straight down onto the Maglite bulb post? I have always preferred cammed, so I can calibrate with a twist of the flashlight head.

The Official ROP Reflector (but most certainly by no means mandatory or the only one) is the Cammed MOP at this point of time. Convince me that camless is the way to go... :)
Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!
Home of the ROP - and my projects, lights, and collected info

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 04:10:45 PM »
Yo, how do you folks calibrate the reflectors for optimum focus? Or do you just smack 'em straight down onto the Maglite bulb post? I have always preferred cammed, so I can calibrate with a twist of the flashlight head.

The Official ROP Reflector (but most certainly by no means mandatory or the only one) is the Cammed MOP at this point of time. Convince me that camless is the way to go... :)

I actually prefer the camless.  Mostly because, with a cammed, I find myself screwing around with the focus everytime I turn one on.  99 times out of a 100, IMHO, this is just a waste of time.  This is particularly true when you have a high output light like the ROP.  I mean, it lights up pretty much everything, no matter what focus it's set at!  :D

As far as adjustment, I use a camless modamag M2 LS reflector on a fully awr modded switch.  modamag supplied, what I believe are stainless 3/8" washers, of varying thicknesses, with the reflector.  You just sit however many you want on top of the bulb (OK, actually around the bulb) when you screw on the head.  Works for me.  :thumbup:

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 04:09:48 AM »
Damn, Lips!  Those are sweet!  I especially like the look of the RopLE FM HA-III 2c!

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 11:56:44 AM »
Ah, the washers. I could never get those to deliver exactly what I wanted...
Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!
Home of the ROP - and my projects, lights, and collected info

Offline andrewwynn

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • MiniMighty Page
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 09:16:38 AM »
I've got a reflector with an 8mm hole, and the ROP high bulb fits just fine. My only problem is that the bulb is potted kinda crooked, so the edge barely scrapes the reflector. YMMV

I've learned that it's possible to bend the flange to better aim a potted lamp.. YMMV a lot :-D

-awr
Regulated hotwire driver. click here now for the Surefire M6
3-level high-power LED drop-in for mag. click here (coming soon)

Offline DUQ

• "What? You paid How much for that?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 03:31:55 PM »
For my ROP, I used the post fix trick and no shims.  I find that with a camless reflector there's hardly a need to adjust it.  If I want more flood, I just do it the same way as a cammed reflector.

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 04:33:29 AM »
I've learned that it's possible to bend the flange to better aim a potted lamp.. YMMV a lot :-D

-awr

Humm, yup, I thought everybody knew about that!  :D  It can make a huge difference, for sure.  Seems like a lot of flanged lamps come "pre-bent", the wrong way of course.  :rolleye:

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries