Author Topic: Flashlights on Vacation  (Read 21065 times)

Offline Aten_Imago

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • Imago Metrics - Illuminations Pilot - ISO 20282
Re: Flashlights on Vacation
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »
LOL! Welcome to the wide world of Umbrella Lighting- a time honored method of efficiently bouncing lumens.I have a  spare Silver or Satin one around here. Would you like me to send it to you for R&D?

Part 3:

Over the years been working on better and better ways to illuminate the camp area around the fire... 2 yrs ago i had the panasonic light that was about 100 lumen... i put it up high.. i put some cardboard into the handle and shot the light up into the cardboard.. the cardboard was covered with crumpled and flattened aluminum foil.. and worked great... well last year i had upgraded the light to the Megasonic bumping up the brightness to about 280 lumen and LED powered.. the runtime maybe 6 hours.... i tried something different that year.. i bounced the light off a big white wall.. Well.. this year i figured out the 'holy grail'...

That is an X990 (3200-3500 lumen) bouncing into a 9' diameter umbrella.. it was just like a light being on in a room! The picture does NOT do justice for how much light that thing puts out.

more pictures here.

-awr

Offline Aten_Imago

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2006, 01:26:51 PM »
I was lucky enough to get an AWR Nano just before heading out on Vacation. I also took my neckworn AUNOC, A Modified Keymate, a PakLite and Green GloToob .
The Nano was just amazing! The town I was in doesn't do street lighting very well and I used the Nano to navigate my 2 mile evening walk- both through streets and along the beach. I still can't help chuckling at how bright it is for its size. The best part was that just after recharging: My cellphone,iPod and Digicam batteries, I'd top off the Nano Battery (5 minutes). It's cool not having to use throw-aways.
One evening after an amazing dinner at a relative's place, I had to pull it from around my neck to light up the sink- so my Sis could properly see her work space- WOW! suddenly heads turned and the host exclaimed "What is THAT!!?" I sheepishly held up the Nano for all to behold. I could see her eyes open up with envy and lust so I slipped her the AUNOC as a gift. "The Nano is a prototype that has to be retured" i quiped sheepishly...
After Italy wone the World Cup, the Center of town turned into a scene from Carnivale in Rio. I was stuck in town without a way back to the hotel- so I just shot pix of the revelry and merriment. The Nano was really helpful in lighting up some dark scenes that made it impossible for my camera's focus system to work ( Pix to follow later)
Thanks Andrew! The Nano ROCKS!

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2006, 05:47:44 AM »
I noticed this thread a while back.  I just can't help but think, "What a ridiculous idea".  Flashlights on vacation.  Sounds like "Girls Gone Wild!" ( :naughty:).  It just seems silly.  I don't ever get to go on vacation.  Why should my flashlights go?

OK, my LionCub got a vacation to Hawaii but, that's just because some numbnuts turned her into a CubMeleon and wired her wrong.  I considered that a "working vacation" anyway.  That's OK, I guess.  :icon_scratch:

At any rate, I think anyone one who is thinking of sending their flashlights on a vacation should reconsider.  I mean there's the cost of transportation, meals (especially those on a lithium diet), lodging (allthough this probably isn't a real problem), and, you never know what kind of trouble they'll get into out there on their own.  :thinking:

Flashlights are just tools, right?  Hummm,...... on second thought....  Hey!  I just came up with a brilliant ( ;)) idea!  Why don't I, take a vacation, and, take my flashlights with me?  Cool idea, huh!  :D

It's not very likely but, I think numbn..... er, I mean, I, need a vacation.

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2006, 07:06:37 AM »
:rotflmao:

Don't let numbnuts mod your lights!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Aten_Imago

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »
Actually you're right. The flashlights never get a vacation. They only get rest stops  ;)
I noticed this thread a while back.  I just can't help but think, "What a ridiculous idea".  Flashlights on vacation.  Sounds like "Girls Gone Wild!" ( :naughty:).  It just seems silly.  I don't ever get to go on vacation.  Why should my flashlights go?

OK, my LionCub got a vacation to Hawaii but, that's just because some numbnuts turned her into a CubMeleon and wired her wrong.  I considered that a "working vacation" anyway.  That's OK, I guess.  :icon_scratch:

At any rate, I think anyone one who is thinking of sending their flashlights on a vacation should reconsider.  I mean there's the cost of transportation, meals (especially those on a lithium diet), lodging (allthough this probably isn't a real problem), and, you never know what kind of trouble they'll get into out there on their own.  :thinking:

Flashlights are just tools, right?  Hummm,...... on second thought....  Hey!  I just came up with a brilliant ( ;)) idea!  Why don't I, take a vacation, and, take my flashlights with me?  Cool idea, huh!  :D

Dave

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »

Dave

Uh, Dave, this is my thread idea, and, frankly, I'm damn upset you'd think it was a ridiculous idea to have a thread about flashlight on vacation.   J/K :rotflmao:

The vacation is yours, not the flashlights'.  They're just along for the ride.  :woot:

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »
The vacation is yours, not the flashlights'.
Oh,................. nevermind.  :rotflmao:

But, thanks for the vacation!  :thumbsup:

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries