Author Topic: Any way to use my Legend LX with rechargable CR123's?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline JRS

• View Profile
Any way to use my Legend LX with rechargable CR123's?
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:13:55 AM »
Pulled my Brinkmann Legend LX out of the drawer a few days ago.  Would like to use it with the CR123 rechargables I see on Ebay, anyone way of doing this? 

I know the LX is a 6 Volt light, and the rechargables are 7.2 Volts, which I believe will blow the bulb or shorten the bulb life.....anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance....

JRS

Offline jmw19

• View Profile
Re: Any way to use my Legend LX with rechargable CR123's?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »
Hmmm, the LX uses a different bulb than the Maxfire LX - just answered my own question, it's got a bi-pin bulb, right?

You've got a couple options here.
1. There are 3.0 volt rechargables, that use a circuit on each cell to drop the voltage in use. These come off the charger at the same 4.2V as the "normal" li-ions, but once a draw is placed on them, they drop right down to 3.0 - 3.2V. The big drawbacks are lower capacity (600 mAH or so) and their running voltage, while lower than the standard 3.7V, is still higher than a CR123's running voltage, which tends to drop under 3 volts for an incandescent's draw. Most 2xCR123 bulbs are rated at 4.8V, so you still run the risk of blowing the stock bulb.

Which leads me into #2. There's a number of bi-pin bulbs available that'll fit your light and solve the problem. Streamlight uses the bi-pins in a number of lights, and the bulbs are fairly easy to find online, and maybe even locally.
You could fit a 3.6V Strion bulb, and use 1 17670 or (if it fits) 18650 cell, and get a perfect match, and it looks like more light, too.
Using 1 cell also removes any issue of battery matching problems, though as I understand it, the li-ions are (if taken care of) much less likely to have problems.
If you want to use the RCR123s, then you'll want to fit a 3-cell bulb - as for the TL-3. The voltage spec of 2 li-ions matches pretty well, with a bit of overhead for cells fresh off the charger.

I believe all the parts I mentioned can be obtained from lighthound.com - I've no affiliation, but am a happy customer. You might pay more than Ebay (but probably not), but the quality will be unquestionable. I'd be hard-pressed to trust li-ions from Ebay, given the potential for destructive failure.

Best,
Jon

Offline JRS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:20:26 PM »
Cool, I like the looks of the 17670 because it says it's the same at the 2 CR123a's stacked up.  Will I get the same runtime and brightness as using 2 CR123's?  (It says it's only 3.6 Volts, as opposed to 6 Volts when you use the CR123's stacked up.....)  Thanks for the input.

Also, is the 18650 the exact same size as 2 CR123a's?  It's only an extra 60 cents for a battery that looks like it has more capacity......

JRS

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 11:23:42 PM by JRS »

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »
Another option is that I believe the 3w drop-in LED module will fit the Legend.  Then you can run rechargables with no issues.  Check with bugoutgearusa.com
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?