Author Topic: I'm a Flashlight Philosopher. I need your help.  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Somy Nex

• View Profile
    • Beamshots
Re: I'm a Flashlight Philosopher. I need your help.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 11:58:05 PM »
Thanks, I looked at both of those (LitFlux and Jetbeam).  Unless I read the data incorrectly, neither have the output of the L2T Fenix nor the runtime.  I guess I keep looking.

actually on the "max" on the liteflux and jetbeam have higher total output than the fenix LxT, but suffer drops in runtime because of that. however, the fenix does seem to have the highest throw figures.

however, the liteflux has a lower low, which will run longer. the jetbeam has 3 brightness levels, with a lower low, which will also ultimately give you longer runtime.

the liteflux is about a equal tradeoff with the LxT, as they both have 2 levels, but the difference being the liteflux has a tactical (not reverse) clickly and a lower low.

the jetbeam is significantly more expensive, but you do get a number of extra features for that price. 3 brightness levels, strobe, a much tougher HA, sapphire lens, but no tactical clicky.
Macdonaldus Senex fundum habuit. E-I-E-I-O. Et in hot fundo nonnullas boves domesticas habuit. E-I-E-I-O. Cum moo moo hic, et cum moo moo ibi. Hic una moo, ibi una moo, ubique una moo moo. Macdonaldus Senex fundum habuit. E-I-E-I-O

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 02:31:01 AM »
Welcome to the FF abouna, in your first post you stated that you wanted a "relatively long burn time"...about how long?  There aren't any single cell lights I can think of that can compete with the ProPoly Luxeon in output and runtime unless you have a multi level light and use the lower level(s) most of the time. 

Since size doesn't seem to be a concern, I'd lean towards the ProPoly Luxeon or an Underwater Kinetics Fire or incan.  Is sidespill or throw important to you?  The UK eLED is dim compared to a lot of other LED lights but it has a killer runtime.

Thanks Fore.

Well I guess I'm not so sure about run time.  Coming from 7 standard LEDs I guess I'm used to something I can't really expect from a newer more powerful light. 

I guess if I had to pick sidespill or throw I'd have to go with sidespill as this is used most of the time as a task light (under sinks, furnace room, etc).  Unfortunately I'm tied up in the typical cunundrum because I want low cost, AA, throw and spill.  I'm asking for too much!

Offline fore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:45 AM »
I mispoke when I asked about spill or throw.  The farthest throwing light I have (cub w/LH) throws a really tight spot but the spill is bright and shoots out at a wide angle.  Should be throw vs flood.  Maybe some of the other guys can comment on the beam profiles of different lights, but there aren't many low cost floody lights that I can think of other than the multi LED lights.  There are a lot of guys with a lot more experience with different lights than me though.

That liteflux that Somy Nex mentioned sounds interesting if you're not a fan of the reverse clicky of the Fenix.  The reason I mentioned the UKs is because you mentioned runtime and the L1T is just above what you said you wanted to pay.  If you're at all interested in a multi level light...I'd say the added versatility is worth a little extra, but it all depends on how you intend to use it.  If it's going to be an edc, I'd say multi is the way to go.  For a general task light, I see nothing wrong with a single level.  Happy hunting and let us know what you decide on.
that rug really tied the room together...

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 08:50:40 PM »
any decision yet?
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 03:03:12 AM »
Nope.  But have to say I keep going back to the Fenix line.  It seems hard to beat.

Thanks for keeping tabs!

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 09:00:26 AM »
The Fenix lights are fairly priced mid-range lights.  There is a bit of lottery (tint, build, and glass), but if you get one you are happy with, they are nice little lights.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?