Author Topic: In 1000 words or less, why pay big for a small light?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline wayassfasterthanyou

• View Profile
In 1000 words or less, why pay big for a small light?
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:01:03 AM »
Don't get me wrong I love flashlights as much as the next guy here but why spend big on a small light?

It started with the mini aa mag led to see that all the led lights I had were not all that good , sure my 4 year old dorcy led was cool and bright not to mention always ready to go , but the mag was brighter and sleek.

then I find a forum that talked about better light so I read and found that cree was a major player in better than ever light and that the little nf-007 fenix light was good for the money so I bought it and WOW brighter than my mag.

I now find that other than some tint and spot pattern they are all using the cree led and seem to be about the same brightness, so then why should I buy the RA clicky for $150 if it is not going to be any brighter ?

keep in mind I will end up getting one I just need to know why.

Offline CRESCENDOPOWER

• View Profile
Re: In 1000 words or less, why pay big for a small light?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Every flashlight purchase should be based on the specific individualís requirements, and goals. It is his, or her decision to decide what they are willing to pay for. What I want, or need may, or may not be what you are looking for. No one is telling you that you have to buy a 150-dollar Ra Light to have a good reliable 1-cell light in your pocket. But, what we are telling you is that a huge 2-18650 light from DX for 45-dollars will offer you one thing, and one thing only, and that is high lumen output with severely overrated specifications. You will not receive acceptable reliability, you will not receive quality service, and you will not receive a high level of construction.
My problem is not that anyone buys a cheap light from DX. My problem is when those individuals who do buy from DX believe their flashlight purchase is as good, or even better than lights 3 to 5 times the price. If all one cares about is lumen output to price ratio buy from DX. Just be ready to accept the negatives that come with that low price.
If no one believed Surefire, or RA Lights were worth the money these companies would be out of business in a heartbeat. These lights are consistently rated a 9 out of 10 for construction quality, which practically sets the industry standard. Ra Lights have an incredibly smooth, and wide beam profile that works well indoors, and outdoors, and many people consider the U.I. to be unmatched. Surefire with all of their research, and development make some of best tactical lights in the world. Check out their (TIR) lens lights in the outdoors. They are designed so they you can actually interpret what you see with precision. They also make specific room clearing flashlights, and incandescent models with fantastic 3D rendering.

topman26

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:13:21 AM »
thumps up for your article, great post... 

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
I think some of the Asian produced lights are overpriced.  They may put out a lot of light, but the workmanship is 2nd class (IMO), and service and support has been a toss up (from experience).

Surefire is top notch in quality, materials, and workmanship, and they stand behind their products like no other (from experience).  Except for the state of the batteries, I never have to question whether the light is going to function.

Paying more for smaller lights?  Many of us have paid easily $300, $500, $1000, or more for some lights - but it has nothing to do with how much light is produced.  But these are custom lights - for the collectors - special materials, finishes, limited runs - things of beauty and art. 

Even today with very limited funds, I would spend the extra cash for a light with quality workman ship.  Just like anything, you get what you pay for.  Again depends on your needs and budget....
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline etc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
I think some of the Asian produced lights are overpriced.  They may put out a lot of light, but the workmanship is 2nd class (IMO), and service and support has been a toss up (from experience).

Surefire is top notch in quality, materials, and workmanship, and they stand behind their products like no other (from experience).  Except for the state of the batteries, I never have to question whether the light is going to function.

That hits the nail on the head.
I cannot get Asian lites to last more than 1 year. So you pay over and over again.

Also the definition of "a lot" varies.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
I do have a lot of cheaper Asian produced stuff which does work for everyday use.  Don't expect 1 year of hard use, but don't care about wear and tear - better to have a $10-$30 light wear out or get busted than a $300 light.

OTOH, for a light that I keep for emergencies or for tactical use, it is something that is beyond question in quality.  Nothing like being stranded somewhere with a light that craps out due to inferior workmanship...
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?