Author Topic: FlashlightNews Forums Update  (Read 14435 times)

Offline lambda

• View Profile
Re: FlashlightNews Forums Update
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 04:12:36 AM »
I see FLN hasn't been updated for some time either. So NC must have some stuff going on more important right now.

We'll just have to wait and hope all is well soon...

Offline nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • FlashlightNews.org
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 05:06:58 AM »
Hi guys,

Very sorry for the lack of communication over the past several weeks. My medical issues have resolved themselves (mostly) and I'm feeling really good, but have been staying with my Mom the past few weeks as she recovers from some surgical procedures. She has no real internet access (dial-up and a very slow and old computer) so I've ended up taking a sabbatical of sorts from internet stuff (which has been really, really weird.) The days I have been able to get home I've been very busy with personal stuff as well, and have had to put the forum, as well as FN, on the back burner.

It does look like I'll be able to get back to work this week, as my Mom is now ambulatory and mostly self-sufficient. I got back home yesterday and will try to catch up on emails some of the members have sent me over the past couple of weeks. I also will get with our forum ISP to straighten out the back-end issues that kept me from getting the forum back up previously. I also need to make time to update FN and email some of that site's sponsors, so it might be a few days until I get a chance to post another update here (or better yet, get FNF back up and running.)

Thanks to everyone for the emails and for your continued support, as I really do appreciate it. I feel badly that all this personal stuff has had me overwhelmed and that the web site and forum have suffered for it, but I can honestly say that in some ways the down time has rejuvenated me. My interest/motivation for flashlights and the web in general have really suffered for most of the past six months or so, but I finally feel excited about getting things back to normal, both at home and here in the virtual world.

(....and yeah...I know you've all heard this before. Hopefully this time around my plans for the forum and FN will actually pan out!)

Steve

Offline lambda

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »
Hi NC, Thanks for the Update!

Figured you must have something going on, as I say "in the real world", that required your attention.

Glad to hear that twinge of excitement in your writting again. Sometimes a break does us all good.

FNF is still the first link I click every morning in hopes it is back up and operating...

Offline Groundhog66

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »
Glad to hear things in your personal life are getting back to normal, that is always what is most important.

Offline The_LED_Museum

• View Profile
    • The LED Museum
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »
I just went there and was presented with this:

:thumbdown: :(  :( :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:24:40 AM by The_LED_Museum »

Offline nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • FlashlightNews.org
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:35 AM »
Doh!!!

I have a support ticket in to my web hosting provider and will let you all know what's going on as soon as I get a response.

Offline nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • FlashlightNews.org
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 03:01:32 AM »
Just a quick update here....

I've regained control of both the forum server and the DB after this latest exploit, but am having issues with the forum software and have discovered some issues with the forum DB. I'm working to fix both but have hit a roadblock that might take a while to work around.

But I am actively working to get us back up and running.... :thumbup:

Offline lambda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • FlashlightNews.org
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 01:05:24 AM »
Another quick update for everyone...

I've been dragging my feet for the last few days over a decision that I don't really want to make. The forum DB through the July 19th hack is really messed up...to the point that it is keeping me from having admin control over the forum software. It seems the easiest (but perhaps not best) solution is to simply load a known 'good' copy of the DB and go from there. The problem is, that would be a DB copy from October of last year, meaning we would lose about 7000 posts that were made from Oct '09 to July '10. Bummer, eh?

So, can you guys give me some feedback on this? Should I just pull the trigger and restart things from October of last year? Or should I try to continue to see if I can recover everything? Is a functioning forum better than none at all?

I should note that it is possible that I might be able to manually restore selected threads from the corrupted database (as well as member info)...no guarantees and it would be a slow process, but it might be possible.

Offline CRESCENDOPOWER

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:55 AM »
Another quick update for everyone...

I've been dragging my feet for the last few days over a decision that I don't really want to make. The forum DB through the July 19th hack is really messed up...to the point that it is keeping me from having admin control over the forum software. It seems the easiest (but perhaps not best) solution is to simply load a known 'good' copy of the DB and go from there. The problem is, that would be a DB copy from October of last year, meaning we would lose about 7000 posts that were made from Oct '09 to July '10. Bummer, eh?

So, can you guys give me some feedback on this? Should I just pull the trigger and restart things from October of last year? Or should I try to continue to see if I can recover everything? Is a functioning forum better than none at all?

I should note that it is possible that I might be able to manually restore selected threads from the corrupted database (as well as member info)...no guarantees and it would be a slow process, but it might be possible.

No since putting yourself through all that with the family issues you have had recently. It's just flashlight information that will be missing, and most likely those topics will come up again. What is most important is getting the site back online.

Offline lambda

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
I say pull the trigger and forget the missing posts; you've lost enough hair over this :thumbup:

And don't forget to disable avatars.....

Offline CRESCENDOPOWER

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »
I say pull the trigger and forget the missing posts; you've lost enough hair over this :thumbup:

And don't forget to disable avatars.....

Offline Vic303

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
Purge it all.  No telling really how far back the corruption runs, or what other probs might result from a questionable copy.  I might load a member list, just so the known folks can get back in w/o reregistering, but look at this as an opportunity to prune the database and 'clean house'.

Vic

Offline nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • FlashlightNews.org
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 04:03:34 AM »
Another update...

I've deleted the damaged and virus-infected database and successfully replaced it with the last known good copy. However, I still have some minor DB issues to fix that resulted from a normal forum software update (so that we don't get hacked again.) If you visit the forum it will appear to be running, but upon log-in you'll get a error message. I'm awaiting some guidance on how to fix the issue, so hopefully sometime tomorrow things will be back up. I'll still have to restore some of the functionality of the old forum (like the sidebars), but dammit anyway...we're nearly there.

I can't thank you all enough for your patience... :thumbup:

Offline WillM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 05:26:18 AM »
Thanks for your effort on this - don't worry about missing posts over the last year...

will