Author Topic: Cool Phone  (Read 89964 times)

Offline Darkgear

• Tin Man
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • If I only had a brain...
    • View Profile
    • Darkgear.com
Re: Cool Phone
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »
no problem at all. :)   Just don't ask about digital TV and I'm talking about wireless digital TV not the cable digital TV.  I'm still not clear about DVB-T, ATSC and ISDB-T.  :P  Too much tech out there nowadays.

Back to phones.  Kukula how do you like the N90?  I've been lusting after one for a while now.  I will probably get a N91(for music) or N70(for pictures) when they are available.  I love symbian too. The one thing I hate about WM5 devices is it is still a Microsoft OS.  I have to reboot it at least daily. :(

Offline Darkgear

• Tin Man
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • Darkgear.com
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
My father just brought home his Treo 700W yesterday.  I got to play with it for a little while tonight.  Pretty sweet.  I like that it has a full SDIO slot.  Many possibilities there.  Yet no WIFI :(

The phone dialing touch pad is much better than my 8125.  Treo really got their hands in there and tried to make a Treo experience out of the windows mobile platform.  They did a good job.  There are several interface item I'd like to have on my phone.

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 05:19:49 PM »
My father just brought home his Treo 700W yesterday.  I got to play with it for a little while tonight.  Pretty sweet.  I like that it has a full SDIO slot.  Many possibilities there.  Yet no WIFI :(

The phone dialing touch pad is much better than my 8125.  Treo really got their hands in there and tried to make a Treo experience out of the windows mobile platform.  They did a good job.  There are several interface item I'd like to have on my phone.

Randy, I've used a Treo 650 (the latest Palm platform) for several months, and before that, the Treo 600.  I have virtually my whole life on that thing and I have gotten where I can't live without it.  It's got my realtor electronic key and database on it, plus of course calendar, contacts, etc.  The phone is very easy to use, as the keys are all domed nicely.  I have big hands and it's NO problem using them.  It's an extremely well-designed and thought-out piece of equipment.  All features were made to be used one-handed.  Very cool. 

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »
I have been waiting for this one

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300

but it does not have WiFi - what are they thinking ?

Might have to get one of these to go with it

http://www.nokiausa.com/770

I have avoided putting flash on my PC, so I cannot see the N80 features very well.  Might have to break down and put it on a system I don't care about.  I really wish they would just do at least the basics in HTML instead of all of that flash "stuff".

Offline Darkgear

• Tin Man
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • Darkgear.com
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »
Regarding the 9300, I'd be worried about the size of the screen or more the shape.  I think all the Symbian guys can tell you that most software doesn't resize well.  That wide screen is nice but i wonder how all the 3rd pary symbian software out ther will cope.   Other than that it looks like a nice device and you're right no wifi? :thumbdown:

The 770 is such a cool device but it has limited utility.  Somewhat like the other thread talking about the UMPC or Origami.  I have played with a 770 and it is a nice internet browser over WiFi.  It would be great to use in bed to check email or something like that but to the business community it is a 3rd device.  Not powerful enough to replace your laptop and too big to replace your cell phone(it cannot anyway).  I think they could add a nice size HD to it and make it into a GREAT PMP.  For around $500 I'd buy the 770 over an Archos AV500 just for the screen size and internet.  It is an interesting device for Nokia.  It is a departure from a phone device and it also runs on Linux.  I wonder where Nokia is going with this...

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »
I don t know what Nokia is thinking, but here is what I am hoping. (BTW - I am a big Nokia fan in case you cannot tell)

- The 600 x 800 pixel size means that the screen size can be small like the current version, or upsized to a "big brother" 6 inch or so size for those of use with over 40 eyes.
- The Symbian S/W is fine, but the PIM features of the phone are rather limiting.  I use the 6800 with the folding keyboard, and like it, but it has limited compatibility with my ACT database.
- Since the screen in theory would still be "decent" if a bit bigger, a faster processor / more memory are easy to add down the road for a variety of uses.  Ideas, GPS, VOIP phone, organizer, etc.
- Since it is Linux based, a variety of s/w will be ported, some of it even useful

Back to the other phone, since the older model did have WiFi for Europe use, I think the reason it was removed was to appeas the phone companies, not because they don't believe in the feature.

ernsanada

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2006, 03:15:43 AM »
This is my latest cell phone...

:D

ernsanada

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2006, 03:17:58 AM »
Here's another cool phone...

Offline yuck

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2006, 06:11:49 AM »
My wife and I have never owned a cell phone. I have always thought that it would be nice for her to have one in case of emergencies.

Offline Darkgear

• Tin Man
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • Darkgear.com
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
Here's another cool phone...

That one has the cool new jump rope feature buit in :)

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2006, 08:51:19 AM »
My wife and I have never owned a cell phone. I have always thought that it would be nice for her to have one in case of emergencies.

I have virgin mobile (prepay) only $20 every 3 months to keep the phone active...
My phone is the AudioVox 8910...
nemul

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »

You can get nearly any cell phone and keep it in the glove box of your car for emergencies.  Keep a car cord in there, too, in case the battery is dead.  Most phones, even unactivated, will work when you call 911.  You can probably go in to any cell phone store and request one of the customer trade-ins.  They'd probably either just give it to you or charge a nominal amount.

Offline COMSEUR

• View Profile
    • COMSEUR@axcess
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:30 AM »
I got me a new one, too. Somehow, I think it doesn't like me much...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:59:29 PM by COMSEUR »
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you...

Best regards & stay safe
COMSEUR

Offline flashlight

• Flashaholic
  • Too many flashlights, not enough money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2006, 11:02:05 AM »
There's a cool new software download from Motorola:thumbup:
'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.'
Albert Einstein

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »
Still using my Symbian based Nokia 6600.  My experience is that the Nokias get better reception than the Siemens phones.  The Symbian software is OK.

My contract if up for renewal next month - not sure if I will pay for another phone or not.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?