Author Topic: 12v led mod under-hood light. HELP  (Read 2532 times)

Offline pawscal

• View Profile
12v led mod under-hood light. HELP
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have a simple project and i would need some help. Years back chevy trucks came with this underhood reel light.

I like it so much i went to a salvage yard and took one out and instaled it in my duramax.

The one downside with it is that the light is really not that powerful, thats where LED mods come in  :D

Here is a pic with the plastic cover off, getting power to a LED would be pretty easy but I just dont have a clue what is the best LED to buy.

Thanks in advance

Offline lawson4450

• View Profile
Re: 12v led mod under-hood light. HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:24:22 AM »
a website called autoluminations.com or autolumination.com has these bulbs or bulbs that have those bases that would probably fit your application. the other thing you can do is open the base up and put a different connector in their to fit a bigger bulb in as well.

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54:12 AM »
LEDs need some kind of way to limit the current flow.  There are basically two methods
- A "driver", which is a slightly complicated electronics board - example - taskled.com
- A resistor - example - 2 ohms, running 3 LEDs in series from your battery.

The big challenge with auto power is voltage spikes.  Very few "drivers" can handle them very well, which is why I suggested taskled drivers.

You are looking at roughly $ 100 to get that thing converted to LED, which is fine, just keep it in mind.

Offline solveitstore

• The Most Durable Flashlight Holders on the Planet
    • View Profile
    • Solve-It! Store
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:55 PM »
If you want a cheaper option, our company sells Flash Grips, which make pretty sweet under-hood light holders.  Here's one of our customers' trucks:

In use:

In storage:

I hope this isn't too spammy, but I saw the under-hood title and figured since the Flash Grip specifically addressed that issue, I'd share our offering.  Thanks! Website's in my signature.