Author Topic: SONIC IS TEMPORARILY OUT...  (Read 9635 times)

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
SONIC IS TEMPORARILY OUT...
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:36:24 AM »
...due to a total breakdown of his computer.  It is a very old unit and the only thing keeping him at least partway up to speed was his cablemodem ISP service.  Now it will not boot up at all.

He spoke to a computer tech friend over the phone about the symptoms but it does not sound promising, although his friend is still going over to check it out in person.

Anyway, I know that Darryl (Sonic) has a few e-mails/PMs to which he was going to reply, and asked me to post this so that those people would know what the hold up was.  And thus I and the rest of the Moderators will help monitoring his LED Mods and Flashlight Components forums until Sonic is back up and running.

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter.
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline IsaacHayes

• Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
    • View Profile
Re: SONIC IS TEMPORARILY OUT...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »
Speaking of PC problems, I tried the Knoppix bootable linux CD (downloaded the image and burned it) and it's great. Detects all your hardware (even usb external drives!) and runs without a harddrive. So if your HD goes to the crapper, you can pop in the CD, and get online and do whatever!! it's got lots of apps too.

You can read/write to fat32, and ready only from NTFS file systems, so you can use this allong with an extneral USB HD to pull your files off of your old HD if windows is messed up but you still have files on there. That's great if you don't have a second HD or computer to access your HD with!!!

I got me a 2.5" Laptop HD enclosure that runs totally off of 1 usb cable, and I'm using that now as a back device. It's small and super cool too BTW! :)
All Your Luxeon Are Belong To Us. Pure Cyan. Pure Power. :director: :duckie:

Offline MR Bulk

• Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:52:55 PM »
Whoa, thanks Ike.  But I'm not sure Sonic (or even I) would understand everything you just said - still, your intentions are appreciated and perhaps someone can translate for Sonic...
MR Bulk

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:58:34 PM »
Charlie - translation

There are CDs available (both Linux and MS WIndows) that you stick in the computer and they are a self contained operating system - no hard disk even required.  They often come preinstalled with common software like browsers, mail, office stuff, games, etc.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:09:04 AM »
thats cool!
nemul

Offline loalight

• sweet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:24:15 AM »
Knoppix is an absolute &*!@^&*!^# lifesaver. Especially now that it's better with NTFS..
•  Ti LC UW0K  •  HA3 Nat LH #001 UW0K  •  LT  • Draco •

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »
at first i thought
SONIC IS TEMPORARILY OUT... of Cherry Limeades!!!
nemul

Offline MR Bulk

• Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 01:29:26 AM »
Ahhhh, thanks Geo!
MR Bulk

Offline fläshgreëniè

• Flashaholic
  • all your fatty cläms belong to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »
Actually, I had to use Knoppix just last week. My work laptop harddisk decided to poop and the IT people at work couldn't get the backup program to work since it keep failing when trying to copy certain files.
There is a bit of a learning curve if you haven't used Linux before but should definitely take a look at it. Its a life saver.

Offline Sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 07:02:51 AM »
Thanks for all of the support guys!

I am now able to get on-line, but my computer will continue to lock-up.  Sometimes it works for 3 hours, sometimes 2 minutes...Each time it locks up, I can usually get it working again after a restart, but not always.  The problem is very unpredictable and I'm afraid I've taken this computer as far as it wants to go.  I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

To AWTYD and Geologist:  Thank you guys for covering for me, you both have done a great job!  Even though my computer issues are far from solved, I'll try my best to catch up and help you guys out.

Sonic

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
Sonic - do you think the problem is software or hardware related?  Again pm me for any assistance!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline MR Bulk

• Administrator
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
I think his computer-savvy friend told him something about the "ethernet card" possibly going bad? :icon_scratch:
MR Bulk

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
I have a PLENTY of extra Ethernet cards (new never used).  I'll send ya one if needed!

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 10:36:44 AM »
As a test - I would pull the Ethernet card and see if the machine still locks up (as before).  If it does not lock up, then it is probably NOT the Ethernet card.

If someone could download and burn the KNOPPIX CD for Sonic, then he could also try to see if the PC locks up while running Knoppix - that is the quickest way to figure out if the issue is software of hardware related.  If hardware, start removing cards (ethernet, modem, etc), to see if they directly affect operation.

Offline fläshgreëniè

• Flashaholic
  • all your fatty cläms belong to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
I got one standing by if you want it...