Author Topic: Help a new guy upgrade his old Flashlight!  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Torpedo Vegas

• View Profile
Help a new guy upgrade his old Flashlight!
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
First I wanted to say thanks for all the help on my key chain thread!  Now on to business :)

Right now I have a Streamlight TL-2, but since I got my Fenix LD01 Q5 flashlight I have decided to upgrade my nightstand flashlight.  It will be sitting on my nightstand most of the time, but I will also take it out camping/hunting, walking the trash out, and just be a cool light.  I do live in the country so when you get away from the house it can get very dark.  Other then that I want it to be an LED, be around the same size of the TL-2, have a few different modes, be in the $100 range, and be Bright.

Here is what I have came up with my limited flashlight knowledge.
Fenix TK11 R2 (I like my LD01 so I started here.  I did not find alot of good stuff about this one though)
OLight R2 Warrior (Someone recommended this one in another thread as "Only flashlight you will ever need")

Since both of these can run on several different batteries, the most talked about seems to be the 18650, I also have a few questions about rechargeable batteries.  How long do the Lithium batteries hold a charge when just sitting?  Would I just be better off going with non rechargeable since it will not be heavy use?  I do want to get some AA and AAA rechargeable batteries for around the house anyways so could you guys let me know a good brand and charger :)

I know that $100 may not be much to some of you guys, but when it comes to a flashlight I just cant pull the trigger without some help.  Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.    

Offline Torpedo Vegas

• View Profile
Re: Help a new guy upgrade his old Flashlight!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:56 AM »
Ok so now I have found the OLight M30 Triton and Fenix TK40!  These guys are both a step up in lumens :) and cost :( but I may actually consider one of them.  I did read thought that the Fenix could only be stored for a few months because it drains the power.  Is this a problem of any others I listed?  Any other thoughts?  What is so great about the 4sevens website?  People have mentioned it in several forums and reviews and was wondering if they had a %off check out code or something.

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »
check out Dereelight and EagleTac..
flashlightconnection.com

nemul

Offline crazee horse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh, i jst found the tk40! i so dont need that light but want it so much it hurts! i may have to sell the mrs! :thumbup:

Offline socom1970

• Rachel Stevens... YUM!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
That is an EXTREMELY tempting light.  I have been telling myself I don't need it.  I don't know, though...   :D
McGizmo, MilkyMods, Surefire, HDS, Fenix, FM, Inova, etc.

Offline Spectral_mist

• Lumen junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »
Trust your feelings... you DO need it!  :thumbup:

Nice output, user flexibility & great battery format what more could you ask for?
Flashlight modding - I'm just in it for the Lumens!

Offline NinaMM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
For under $100 bucks I'd go with something from Streamlight again.  The Stinger Xenon rechargable looks awesome, and the Sidewinder speaks for itself, although I don't know how much use you have for a strobing red or green light.