Author Topic: Finally, a Cub comes to NJ  (Read 2742 times)

Offline AngryAmerican

• The Coach
    • View Profile
Finally, a Cub comes to NJ
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:35:19 PM »
Well, I finally scored one of my Mr. Bulk grails, a LionCub. Thanks to SteveL, I picked up a black CPF LE LionCub #30. Great light, perfect size. I sat there playing with it most of the day it arrived. So, now the family includes a LionHeart (#167), a SS DragonHeart, a Ti Cub II, and the Cub. That's all, I just wanted to brag.  ;)
There are two kinds of people in this country, AMERICANS
and people who live in America

Offline shuter

• View Profile
Re: Finally, a Cub comes to NJ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »

Hi Coach, Congratulations on scoring the Black LionCub.  It's one of my favorites as well.  :thumbup:

Offline anbu2020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »
I worked at a big cat rescue with lions for over 7 years (see icon). While lions are, in my opinion, the easiest big cat to work with, I would strongly reccommend not buying one as a pet. Try finding a big cat rescue and getting a chance to work with some. One of the problems with lions is they cannot be by themselves, so you would need to get two. Some states allow them to be purchased and kept as pets, so you would need to check your state laws and contact the U.S.D.A. for standards. A dealer can give you some info, but they are definately biased towards ownership and may not give you all the information you need. Just a few notes about lion behavior. They cannot be alone as they will literally go insane so you have to purchase two and then you run the risk of having them bond to eachother instead of you. Lions are very very aggressive about food, toys and pretty much whatever they happen to be chewing, pouncing on or eating at the time. They go into a behavior known as "posession", which is what the tiger did to Roy. They grab onto an item and will absolutely not let go, even destroying whatever they are holding on to to prevent someone from taking it away. The only way to get them to release it is to distract them, which usually requires another person. I've had lions go into posession of my feet, hands, thumb, ponytail, leg and other bodily parts. If there isn't someone around with you to help distract the lion, you may end up waiting hours for them to let go. Lions are very physical and will lean on you, throw their entire bodies on you, sit on you and jump on you all as friendly gestures. The lion in my icon decided to lean on me one day and I was standing up against the side of the chain link enclosure. He leaned so hard that it bent the chain link backwards, smushing me and permanently injuring my knee. Some big cat owners declaw and defang, which is not only cruel, but causes serious health problems. We had several lions die due to problems from declawing. They ususally need several surgeries to correct arthritic growths and other problems from declawing and defanging causes serious liver problems and gives the lions constant headaches througout their lives and a lion with a headache is not fun. Even without their teeth and claws, they are incredibly strong and can easily kill by pinning you and using the rest of their teeth, and their body weight to suffocate you. While I loved working with them, raising them and just plain hanging around with them, I did it at a rescue, with training and with others around to help. Please try to find somewhere near you and see what it's like working with an animal that is so strong and intelligent before you buy.

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
What no DamCham yet? ;)