Author Topic: HID heavy Iron Beam Shots  (Read 8652 times)

Offline BVH

• View Profile
HID heavy Iron Beam Shots
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:52:51 AM »
Give a man a tripod and see what happens!

First shots are about 160 Yards.  Cam settings are F3.5 & 3.2 seconds.  I would say I could have increased the F Stop (? not sure if that means open it up more or is it reversed?)  Anyway, a longer exposure or a larger opening would have been more representative of what I saw with regard to corona and spill.  All the spill is missing and some of the corona is missing.  Next time!

All Wattages are at the bulb.

Barn Burner 80 Watts

Costco 80 Watts

Twin vector 192 80 Watts each for total of 160 Watts

Blitz 84 Watts

BB & Blitz

Costco & Blitz

Twin Vector 192 & Blitz

Now some long range shots.  Yardage is about 350 give or take.

Blitz

Twin Vector 192

The Blitz reflector is just amazing at focusing.  The color temp difference you see is very representative of what I saw.
WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW Marconi, 1KW VSS-3a, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam, 150 Watt Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Fritz HandSun, LarryK14@52V

Offline Larry K

• View Profile
Re: HID heavy Iron Beam Shots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »
Great beamshots. I tried outdoor beamshots and they turned out terrible. :D

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »
Vic, look what your parts are doing!  Can't wait till the 100 watter (or higher) gets shrunk.  Keep bringing on that neat stuff!

Larry, the tripod makes it so much easier!  I had to experiment with F-stops and times, not being a camera buff.  I guess it's just a matter of doing it often enough to learn and retain.
WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW Marconi, 1KW VSS-3a, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam, 150 Watt Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Fritz HandSun, LarryK14@52V

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »

Man those are great shots. You've got the distances & spreads covered nicely. If that's your home and you don't have to go anywhere (pack all that equipment) to take beamshots like that we'll be expecting more! That Blitz has a great tight beam but also puts out allot of light close to the user...

I'm totally committed to getting a heavy finned - two output Ballast done that provides 100 watts to the bulb. I think the big ceramic bulb (in the Blitz) can handle the extra power too. I'm resisting pushing/funding the project until the Mule and Maximus & current smaller Ballast are shipped... Hope we have a good -fun - powerful 2009  :D

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »

WOW!  Those are great shots!  You really have some powerful lights!  Looks to me like some of them will reach out a heck of a lot further.  I seem to like the warmer tones for truer rendition and identification of what we are looking at.  I have a lowly POB HID.  I would love to see one for comparison/education if you have one.

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »
I have the Amondotech 3152 which was the predecessor of the POB however it came stock with a 4300K bulb.  I don't have any 6000K or higher HID's in my inventory.  I could just never get used to the "dark light" as I call it.  I've had a few but got rid of them so I can't take any comparison shots.  Sorry!

Vic, yep, right out my front door, turn 90 degrees left and set up the cam on the front porch.  There's a street between me and the target but it's about 15' below and no significant spill hits it so I really have free reign.  No homes behind the trees in the short range shots.  There are some homes above the long range shot trees so I have to be careful on that one.

I'd really like to put a 100 watts through the Blitz!!!  I feel confident that my two Rulon, 500 degree plastic bushing setup will insulate the Blitz body plenty well for the heat.  Are we talking about using the same bulb as I have now for 100 watts?  Its ceramic base worked well for this mod.  I simply removed the metal flange and it pops into the inner plastic bushing.  I think the only running restriction would be to let the light sit static and run it past 6 or 7 minutes (with 100 Watts at the bulb)  The heat rises and begins to get the top of the plastic housing pretty warm as it is now with 84 Watts.  If you're using the light and moving it around, more of the heat is spread over more of the reflector and housing.  I've never run one with the stock 100 Watt Halogen bulb.  Maybe the same thing happens and it's not a problem.  I'll try that with my recently arrived Blitz 240.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:47:47 AM by BVH »

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:59 AM »

BVH - "I have the Amondotech 3152 which was the predecessor of the POB however it came stock with a 4300K bulb.  I don't have any 6000K or higher HID's in my inventory.  I could just never get used to the "dark light" as I call it.  I've had a few but got rid of them so I can't take any comparison shots.  Sorry!"

I have heard some POB owners installed the 4300K bulb in their lights.  I was not sure exactly why or what the benefit was.  Would you recommend I do that to improve my POB beam quality?

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »
Definitely install a 4300K bulb.  You will be very pleased.  But maybe I'm prejudiced!  Seriously, there's a world of difference.

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »

BVH - Ok I'll take your advice.  Can you recommend the best place to get the 4300K bulb?   :D 

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
I've never gotten into bulb base differences so I'm not much help there.  There's quite a few threads on this subject over at the other forum.  Try that.

Offline PaulL74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Where can I buy a BarnBurner or a Blitz like the one you have shown here?

thanks everybody!

Offline windstrings

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:02 AM »
I just sold my Barnburner yesterday.... but I'm sure these will get crankin as soon as the dots line up.
The Second Mouse gets the cheese