Author Topic: BVH Blitz 240 HID mod - New, FULL Pictoral  (Read 18213 times)

Offline BVH

• View Profile
Re: BVH Blitz 240 HID mod - New, FULL Pictoral
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
Got my GM and AMP brand weatherproof connectors and crimp tool.  And got my fuse holders.  I was running my Blitz without any protection  :confused2:  I know, I know, not too smart.  Well, it was only for short term testing.  Well, now I can finish it up and take some beam shots of mine.  Stay tuned.
WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW Marconi, 1KW VSS-3a, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam, 150 Watt Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Fritz HandSun, LarryK14@52V

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

Looking at getting samples and more info on this huge reflector unit. It's focusable and may or may not be an option for the Super Modified Class!  (Maximus and Mule Maker)

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline JetskiMark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »
That looks just like the old Coleman spotlight that I am going to convert. It has a decent looking 8 inch metal reflector and a glass lens.

Are these metal and glass?

How much can you get those for?
Regards,
Mark

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
That looks just like the old Coleman spotlight that I am going to convert. It has a decent looking 8 inch metal reflector and a glass lens.

Are these metal and glass?

How much can you get those for?

I've seen these for a few days now and decided this morning to inquire... They do look very much like the pics in the link you sent me (coleman). I haven't heard back yet about price or inquire details yet... They come in Black or Yellow color and appear to be already updated with HID bulbs etc already... I thought from pic they were bigger than 8 inches in reflector... The Blitz is 9 inch so may be better option. I'll post when I hear back on more info....

You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
That huge monster looks much bigger than the Blitz to me!  I want some!

Looks to be 11 or 12"?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:57:40 AM by BVH »
WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW Marconi, 1KW VSS-3a, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam, 150 Watt Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Fritz HandSun, LarryK14@52V

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

It really looks allot like the coleman link Mark sent me but it does look allot bigger than 8 inches... I'm guessing 11 or 12 inches too... We'll see...

The Blitz at 9 inches is so low profile- light weight - good reflector, I can't see anything "stock" being better for its size or price... 100 watts to bulb will be great in time... I was shinning the Blita in the neighborhood last night at 400 yards!

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:24 AM »
It looks like a classic NFA front bezel.  Do you have some coming or are you waiting for info?  If you order, and these are larger than the Blitz - even by an inch, I'd like a couple.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:11:51 AM »
It looks like a classic NFA front bezel.  Do you have some coming or are you waiting for info?  If you order, and these are larger than the Blitz - even by an inch, I'd like a couple.

I asked for a couple to be sent with Mules and more info. It's a brand new item for them as it was only shown about two weeks ago, haven't heard anything back yet as I only asked today so I'll post...

Coincidence Mark showed me the light he was planning on modifying as it look so similar...

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »

I heard back and am getting two Black ones for free. BVH I'll send you one for free...

They do appear to be the Coleman Lights as they have 8 inch reflectors and are stock Halogen:

Professional portable hunting light(with halogen bulb)
55-100W,input voltage:12 or 24V/AC-DC。
lighting distance:500-1000m
reflector dia:20cm 
total length: 25cm   
net weight:1kg

Cheers!

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
Man, the photo just makes them look massive! 

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 03:24:43 AM »
Man, the photo just makes them look massive! 

Sure does. I don't think those are sold over here anymore. I bet the factory that made it Epoxied the Colman name off the Mold and kept on making them...

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 12:24:46 AM »
Check on Collins Dynamics, I have an older model that is Aluminum with a 12" reflector

Offline BVH

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »
Tony, can you post a pic?  Tried a quick search and found only their 8.5" handheld spot.

Offline windstrings

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 11:54:20 PM »
Beamshots tonight if the weather holds.  I'll compare at 100 watts with my Barn Burner and with some 30/35 Watt lights on 35 watt setting.

Did I miss those beamshots?... thats a beamshot I'd like to see!

1550 views and counting and only a few replies... this tells me "allot" of folks keep checking in to see how the project is coming!

Are we far enough along for an eta yet?
The Second Mouse gets the cheese

Offline pinebluffbill

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
Jetskimark and LarryK did their Blitz mods before I did.  I just wanted to share my method of mounting the HID bulb into an unmodified body.  New stuff below

Purchased two hi-temp plastic bushings from McMasterCarr and had to grind down the outer diameter of the inner bushing by about .080"  Everything is a light press fit for Lip's 100 Watt bulb.  Just remove the metal flange.

The focusing system is simply screwing in or out the reflector ass'y on the threaded end of the light body.  There's a detent arm on the body that drops into many linear groves on the reflector housing base to maintain focus once set.  There's probably a good 5/8" of focus travel. available.  More than enough to cover any difference in new style bulb chamber (read filament) location.  In my system, the center of the HID bulb chamber ended up about 1/32" further out as compared to the Halogen bulb.  Just had to screw up the reflector by about 1/8 of a turn.

Now the battery & ballast box is another story.  Used a Radio Shake plastic project box.  Not too happy with it.  Needs some work.  It's heavy with the 100 Watt (83 to the bulb) ballast and the 6.4 AH Li-Poly battery.

Original on/off function is maintained.

OK, here's the full mod pictorial.

I wanted to not have to unscrew the box top every time the battery needed charging so I found a polarity keyed, two terminal quick connect/disconnect with locking nut to charge through.  These wires hook to the charging wires of the Li-Po pack - not the discharge wires.  I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure I can't run the light with a power source using this same cord.  Not gonna try.

The finished light without charging cord weighs 5 lbs, 15.5 oz - under 6 lbs!

The components.  The wrench-looking thing is a strengthener for the thin, metal box top.  Too much flex without it.

The charging cords

The ballast and battery are held in with velcro so easily removable.  Thanks to LarryK for this idea

The rocker switch toggles between 35 Watt and 100 watt (input power)

I had to change out the high Voltage wire connectors from
typical Beldon spades to 30 Amp Anderson quick connect/
disconnects.  The Beldon connectors don't fit tight enough
together to prevent initial arcing and a no-start.

My Schulze charger and Mastec 30V-50Amp Power Supply at work!

Beamshots tonight if the weather holds.  I'll compare at 100 watts with my Barn Burner and with some 30/35 Watt lights on 35 watt setting.

how much for one of the blitz handhelds?