Flashlight Forums
August 22, 2014, 11:26:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Flashlight Wiki now open. Click "WIKI" in the menu or click Here. Use your FF log/pass for access.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bright (LED) flashlights be dangerous for the eyes?  (Read 4941 times)
jonsson

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »

I have a UltraFire WF-606A Q5 and I like it very much because it is much brighter than any of my other flashlight. But, I'm a little concerned about my eyes. In the datasheet for the XR-E Q5 Cree says

"Users should be cautioned not to stare at the light of this LED product. The bright light can damage the eye."

What exactly is dangerous? Of course, I don't stare directly into the LED but could ordinary use of the flashlight be dangerous for the my eyes? Why can the CREE LEDs be dangerous? Is it just the brightness of the light or does the light contain UV or IR?
Geologist
Flashaholic

Send me all your lights!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »

If you've ever been shot in the eye with any overload of light (I still remember a work colleague doing this years ago with a SF E2e with fresh batteries), it can hurt and cause damage.  I don't think that LEDs are somewhat special in this case - but historically most people didn't have/carry such small devices that could put out so much light.  Sure we all stared into the lens of that old Rayovac 2D light - how else would you know if it was working.  But your eyes (like your ears) can suffer damage from abuse.  My work requires me sitting at a PC 8 hours a day, and at the end of the day, my eyes can be shot.  Just be careful and use common sense.  ... and don't stare into the sun!  (or my Torch Wink )

Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?
Spectral_mist

Lumen junkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

Just be careful and use common sense.  ... and don't stare into the sun!  (or my Torch Wink )

OR my Thor HID conversion! Oh yeah! Grin

Seriously... excess of ANYTHING is bad for you, be it alcohol, sugar, work, sunlight, sound OR intense focused light directly into your eyes Thumb Up
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:22:06 PM by Spectral_mist » Logged

Flashlight modding - I'm just in it for the Lumens!
rs.led

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:07:15 AM »

While still far dimmer than added LEDs of commensurable admeasurement and activity use, they are ablaze abundant to accomplish a white LED Flashlight practical,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: