Author Topic: Bulkware Reference Thread - A Collective History of Mr. Bulk Creations  (Read 27434 times)

Offline BraddahBill

• Flashaholic
  • Lumens, don't know what it means, but I want some.
    • View Profile
Re: Bulkware Reference Thread - A Collective History of Mr. Bulk Creations
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »
From many Moons ago..............

Brass Lion Cub

UPDATE 5-24-05:

Just some photos of what we did this past weekend.  Here's DarkGear separating the brass LionCub bodies in preparation for internal work:

Note the cool starburst pattern the camera flash created on the spun brass finish of these flat tail-standin'

Big Honu stuffs the gold/nickel-plated custom wound music wire springs into their battery tube homes:

TXOJ Luxeon 3 stars mounted and soldered, ready for their reflectors:

ZenGhost busily unwrapping brass Cub bodies:

A closer look at some of them:

Here is probationary HAT member Fore, stretching o-rings onto their appropriate body channels:

Here DarkGear and ZenGhost are solemnly engaged in the most critical phase - harnessing the synergistic power of the pyramid and our own Hawaiian solar energy...

...which you will experience when switching one of these brass Cubs onto High... :D

And a parting shot of my stubby little Lh-equipped LionCub, with the focal power to throw a bright, narrow beam clear across the length of a football field, all packed into a mere three-plus inches:

(Sheesh, that last one sounded like it came from a snake-oil tent barker, didn't it?  Haw!) :naughty:

And Now For The Serious Part:

These brass jobs will be available in very limited numbers to only the original LionCub List buyers, there will be somewhere between 60 and 80 units, and suffice to say this is only a fraction of the total number of regular LionCubs.

Demand exceeds supply by several times - so my quandary is how to offer them fairly.

After much agonizing and cogitating, I finally decided that they should go to those who have been buying lights from me from the beginning, all along during the past three years, and who then also went ahead and signed up (and paid for) the LionCubs when they were originally announced, and pretty much sight unseen.  I can't solicit testimonial support any better than that...
So watch your e-mails as I will be contacting you, in some strange, convoluted, nonsensical order dreamed up only in my wildly careening and spun-out-of-control mind, to offer first crack at one of these.

And as always, Thank You for your support...

Offline aikiman44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »
Seeing those HAT pics makes me really miss what this hobby/obsession used to be...  :'(  Thanks for sharing those.  :thumbup:

I think that bare cub in Troy's picture is the one I used and abused so much that the switch doesn't work anymore.  It is NO where near as shiny anymore.  8)

Cool thread.  Miss the fun days.

Do you guys think a golden age of custom flashlight design is drawing to a close?
I said I liked it.  I didn't say I wanted to kiss it.
 - In a Lonely Place

Offline Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
 [quote/]Do you guys think a golden age of custom flashlight design is drawing to a close? [/quote]

It has certainly crossed my mind.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:11:29 AM by Rudi »

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
This thread is just awesome!

Geo
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »
[quote/]Do you guys think a golden age of custom flashlight design is drawing to a close?

[/quote]

Naw, them Chaw-neez oversea'ers are pickin' up the torch (Euro-pun intended)...:evil6:

MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline lumenator

• Lumen crazy in a small form factor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 07:52:55 AM »
[quote/]Do you guys think a golden age of custom flashlight design is drawing to a close?

[/quote]

I believe that if the passion remains true to us flashaholics their will always be that part in us that holds a high respect to those that bring art and function to the hands that use and appreciate these custom lights.It is my belief that we as a community need to stick together and keep this passion alive. 8)

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »

I believe that if the passion remains true to us flashaholics their will always be that part in us that holds a high respect to those that bring art and function to the hands that use and appreciate these custom lights.It is my belief that we as a community need to stick together and keep this passion alive. 8)

:headbang:

in the beginning it seems the custom makers and modders were all doing what hadn't been done before.  Charlie is right - technology wise there are handfuls of lights these days that are mass produced, have good performance, regulation, features, etc - but that isn't really what brought be over to the poor custom side.  My first custom made light was the original U bin run of the Orb RAW - smaller than before, brighter, way cool.  It was an awesome light - but still just a light.  It took something more to grab my soul.  Long before I was a Mr. Bulk fan, I saw his avatar of the Brass LionCub.  It was more than a flashlight - heck I didn't even really go read the details about the light - I saw the light as ART.  If you will research my posts and go all the way back to the beginning of MBF (now known as Flashlight-Forums), you will see that my first order of business was to obtain one - and thanks to some great people - I still have that light and will keep it forever.  There have been many custom lights and makers - lots of cool stuff.  But it is rarer still when a light crosses that line and becomes something more.  We custom light nuts are probably drawn to the art side just as much as anything else.  The spark of creativity is what makes these lights special.

Now to convince Charlie that I REALLY NEED one of those Ti Cub II masterpieces!!!!!!! 

Geo
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
Long before I was a Mr. Bulk fan, I saw his avatar of the Brass LionCub.

That was actually probably my avatar, which I had for a couple of years.   :D  The Brass Cub is still right up in my top three lights of all-time.   :thumbup:

Offline aikiman44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 01:04:04 AM »
Geo, I agree with you. My concern is, now that Mr B is taking a 'hiatus' from creating customs, I don't know if Don's (though I certainly love my Lunasol and Sundrop) future creations will hold my attention.  I mean, with a shelf full of Mr B's, McG's,  Gatlights, Spy 005 and 007, various Orbs, Gothams, etc., where are the customs headed? 
To me, these were such a blast of creativity that they will be difficult to match.  A golden age of custom light production?
Of course, I'm not an old-timer flashaholic like many, but damn, I look at my lights and am just amazed by them.  They'll be hard to top.  To paraphrase Mr B, there is nothing technologically new right now with which to design new lights.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:08:08 AM by aikiman44 »
I said I liked it.  I didn't say I wanted to kiss it.
 - In a Lonely Place

Offline starfiretoo

• What me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
Heck, there's a new thread started in USN reminiscing about hanabata days (days of our youth) in Hawaii. Now, here this thread turns to reminisce about the golden age of LED flashlight design. I came in late to the game. My 1st high end a natural PD-S mizer. Later, Version 2 Gatlights, CubMelean, Spy005, Maxlite. All from the builders. What a rush.  :wav:

This year we seen the influx of cheap LED lights and a different breed of "collectors" seeking how low can you go. Economy ain't helping. :'( Maybe this is the writing and time to take a break and get the creative juices running again ;) Even Ti is going passe with the Mainland China on the bandwagon :yawn:

Maybe the far east will be able to come up with their own designs. Probably, not. They had the Olympic TORCH this year but that's about it.  :yawn:

Aloha, Brian :D

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »

You never know what the future holds.  Me, I just need a hunk of free/quiet time right now but an Eternal Flame will always burn bright in my heart, so when The Right Time comes (back), well...:naughty:

I thank you all for your past kindnesses.
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline Eric242

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
About the Stainless Steel DragonHearts:

Actually it should be 24 SS DragonHearts. The 03-20-08 quote from the TNC shop in this thread says 24 stainless lights. Charlie sold at least 20 through this sales thread and additional 4 in his DIY LionCub (AND OTHERS) thread. The numbers in his sales thread indicate 22 preorders for the SS DH but I believe 20 were actually sold plus the additional 4 makeing the total of 24 SS DHs.

About all the other DragonHearts:

The sales thread has the following numers in the sign-up list: 12x brass, 14x bare, 12x black, 1x HA. When you head over to Lips DragonHeart Coating thread youīll recognize one additional bare for Mr.Bulk making the numbers 12x brass, 15x bare, 12x black, 1x HA. BUT youīll also recognize kiely23 on the coating list who originally was put down with a black DH on the sign-up list. So now the numbers would be 12x brass, 16x bare, 11x black, 1x HA. BUT Lipsī list only has 13 bare lights noted for a special coating! So now we need to find out if RPM, m3stk and LouRoy changed their mind with their bare DHs and what finish was chosen instead or if these 3 bare DHs were just ment to be bare without any coating. I just fought my way through the 35 pages of the sales thread but didnīt read every single post. So letīs assume 3 bare lights without any coating were made.

And now the important part that amps up the aluminum/brass DH numbers: Charlie mentioned several times half of the produced DHs (originally 50 were planned) will have to go to a certain online vendor, who turned out to be lighthound. I know for sure that lighthound sold HA black, HA natural as well as brass DragonHearts! Iīm not aware of any bare DHs sold through lighthound.
Hereīs what Charlie posted:
Uh-DAY-um!  Waal rott hayer we already gots us TWENTY-EIGHT lights PAID rott hayer...DAY-um! :thinking::icon_scratch:

Actually I just received some news - if everyone pays up, there will be around 33 FF buyers total.  I expressed this concern to www.LightHound.com and John Crighton has kindly agreed to take 27 as LightHound has already received requests from people wanting to be on their OWN preorder list(!), and we thus agreed to bump total production up to SIXTY DragonHearts.  Woo hoo! :headbang:
So unfortunately there will be sixty DragonHearts total, period.
So it is either 60 aluminum & brass DHs total or, since we have 40 lights on the sign-up list plus 27 for lighthound it is 67 aluminum & brass DHs total. Since we donīt know the number of HA black, HA natural and brass DHs sold through lighthound we canīt come up with a total# of each different flavour I guess.

Eric

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
                                                                        Mr. Bulk Quick Reference Chart

Production run description                 Color                         Quantity Produced                           Emitter               Introduced            Cost

LionHeart
Bare LionHeart                            Bare Aluminum                           75
Black CPF SE LionHeart                 Black  HA                                125
Natural CPF SE LionHeart              Silver Grey HA                          125

LionCub
Black CPF SE LionCub                     Black HA Aluminum                   125                                   LUX III
Natural CPF SE LionCub                  Natural HA Aluminum                 125                                   LUX III
Bare LionCub                                Bare Aluminum                          80                                   LUX III                 9/2005            $172.00
Brass LionCub                               Brass                                      80                                   LUX III TXOJ         9/2005            $199.00
Ti Cub                                         Titanium                                 13                                    LUX III
Ti Cub II (Aero)                            Titanium                                  50                                   SSC P4                10/2008
*LightHound sold 39 of the Bare Aluminum LionCubs at $172.00  &  12 of the Brass LionCubs at $199.00 

Chameleon
Chameleon                                 Bead Blasted Aluminum               175                              LUX III TXOH          11/2005     Pre-order: $153.00
Titanium Chameleon                     Titanium                                   20                               LUX III TXOH           2/2006
Damascus Chameleon(DamCham)    Damascus Steel                         24                               LUX III TXOH           9/2006
*55 of the Bead Blasted Aluminum Chameleons were sold by Lighthound at $189.00

CUBmeleon                         Bead Blasted Aluminum               24                                      LUX III                10/2007
*Cubmeleons were produced with a Chameleon Bezil, Center Section and Tail but were powered by the LionCub Direct Drive Board.
The Chameleon Bezel was designed with a larger window compared to the LionCub and produces more lumens.

DragonHeart                   
Bare DragonHeart                        Bare  Aluminum                            3                              SSC P4                    2/2008               $185.00
Natural DragonHeart                    Natural HA                                  1                              SSC P4                    2/2008               $185.00
Black DragonHeart                       Black   HA                                 21                              SSC P4                    2/2008               $185.00
Brass DragonHeart                       Brass                                       20                              SSC P4                    2/2008               $215.00
SS DragonHeart                          Stainless Steel                           20                              SSC P4                    4/2008               $296.00
SS DragonHeart                          Stainless Steel                            4                               SSC P4                   11/2008              $260.00
Black Chrome DragonHeart            Black Chrome                              9                               SSC P4                    6/2008               $225.00
Chrome DragonHeart                    Chromed Aluminum                       2                               SSC P4                    6/2008               $220.00
Gold DragonHeart                        Gold Aluminum                             1                               SSC P4                    6/2008               $225.00
Glossy O.D.                                Glossy O.D. Green HA Aluminum      5                               SSC P4                    3/2008               $195.00
DragonHeart (DIY Kit)                  Matt O.D Green HA Aluminum          5                               SSC P4                   11/2008               $132.00
DragonHeart (DIY Kit)                  Glossy O.D Green HA Aluminum        2                               SSC P4                   11/2008               $142.00
DragonHeart (DIY Kit)                  Black  HA Aluminum                       1                               SSC P4                   11/2008               $142.00
DragonHeart (DIY Kit)                  Matt Black HA Aluminum                 3                               SSC P4                   11/2008               $142.00
*Lighthound sold 9 of the Black HA, 5 of the Glossy O. D. Green, 2 Bare Aluminum at $195.00  &  8 Brass at $225.00 

Dragon
Dragon                                 Titanium                                        41                              SSC P4                    9/2007                $586.00
* They were numbered 1 through 40 with an extra numbered 00

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:45:07 PM by shuter »

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »

DragonHearts showing the machined Dragon Logo on the tails

My DragonHeart family from the left.  Smoke Black Chrome, Black, SS, Gloss OD Green with a P7 installed by Milky, Matt OD Green soon to be assembled with a Diamond Dragon emitter or K2.

A pair of DragonHearts for size perspective

Two stock original Brass LionCubs surround an RPM'd Cub with Ti Bezel and P4 emitter.

Brass Cubs with various size battery tails and on the left is an original Cub head that had the Bezel opened by Jochen at ArsMachina.
The bezel mod increases the opening about 20% and allows a McR-20 reflector to substantially increase the lights brightnes.

My LionHeart family - two naturals a black and a Bare Aluminum.  The natural on the left has a P7 installed by Milky.

Four Cubmelions.  There were about 24 produced.  They sport Chameleon tails, center sections and Bezels but came with a non regulated
LionCub Control Module.  They were all produced bead blasted.  The one up front has been chromed.  The Chameleon bezels were designed
with a larger opening for more light to escape.

A pair of Chameleons.  The one on the left was special built by Mr. Bulk for Milky with a P4 emitter hand selected by Milky himself.

LionCubs - Two natural, a Black and a Bare Aluminum.  The black has a P4 installed by Milky.

Cubs, Cubmeleons and a Chameleon dressed for serioius throw.

Some Cub candy.

A family get together.

My Bulkware collection is a work in progress with a highly polished Chameleon set soon to arrive as well as a polished RPM'd Bare LionCub with Ti bezel to match the Brass Cub shown.

I am still looking for a Brass DragonHeart to add to my DragonHeart family.   :'(  I am also interested in other Bulkware for my collection.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:42:09 PM by shuter »

Offline AngryAmerican

• The Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »
I just want to say thanks to Troy for starting this thread and to everyone who has contributed information and pictures to it.  :thumbup: I just picked up my fourth Mr. Bulk light (third in the family, I had to trade one to get it  :'() and I like to know what I'm getting. When you buy a light from the builder, there is all the info in the original sales thread, but when you get one second-hand, sometimes the seller just doesn't remember what they have (LED, driver, etc.). This thread answers a lot of questions about all my lights.    :icon_study:

As for the future, I hope that Eternal Flame heats up soon and out of the smoke comes an enhanced new LionCub (hey, I can dream). :occasion1:
So, Charlie, we are all patiently waiting.  :clock:
There are two kinds of people in this country, AMERICANS
and people who live in America