Author Topic: Bulkware Reference Thread - A Collective History of Mr. Bulk Creations  (Read 27433 times)

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
Re: Bulkware Reference Thread - A Collective History of Mr. Bulk Creations
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »
What a great collection of pics Troy, always the finest.

Thanks Tim.  You're the only one to comment since I posted them.  Sadly, the only lights I still actually own are the lights/parts in the first two pics.  I've bought and sold so many Bulk lights over the years, but always come back to the Brass Cub and the Ti Chameleon as my keepers.  I'd really like to see this thread as a collection of everyone's pics, comments, favorites, but there is so little activity that I doubt the thread will materialize into anything useful.

Well jeepers Troy........

Comment .............  :headbang:

Now  :icon_scratch:  ...............  :help: cuz 
Kenster
:iamwithstupid: 
Me  :-[

OK, your VIP picture below does not have a BulkHead in it but wait :icon_scratch: ...... What is a BulkHead??? Seriously, the 27mm head or the jumbo head which was Mag size or maybe even larger in diameter??? VIP before my time but you and time..... Hmmm :thinking: ..... Like the chicken and the egg. Which came first?   :dontknow:    :snorting:

Thanks Troy!  :occasion14:

VIP Set with 2xAA tube, standard KC ("King's Crown") kroll tail, twisty tail (The VIP was my first custom light)  :D

Offline Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
Lordy folks, i sure wish I could see the pics from where i am but alas, I can't.  Ken, the BBH  Big BulkHead was built by Okotoyomo ( I'll get shot for the spelling, forgive me).  It came after the VIP in a limited run of 100 (?) pieces.  It was (or MAY have been) the first huge head (3"" as I remember but I don't have one in front of me) to provide for exceptional throw from an LED.  I was on the original list for one and missed it but was able to acquire one or so afterwards due to some big help from the builder, kind folks here who had gotten more than one and had one to spare, dilligent searching (by yours truely!) and some folks who had gotten tired of the beam or needed money.  If it sound like I got 50, I didn't.  Is this what you were fater or have I just been flappin' my lips?

Karl 

Offline starfiretoo

• What me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »
Great to see a new thread with Bulk history! Thanks!
Anyway, i still own the original CUBmeleon sold from Mr Bulks thread, although it no longer looks like it after it underwent LIP's plating GB. Bought 21Sep07
Picture reposted here:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:37:38 AM by starfiretoo »

Offline starfiretoo

• What me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:40 AM »
Mr. Bulk offered the DragonHeart in 5 finishes.
1. Bare Aluminum
2. HA III Natural
3. HA III Black
4. Brass
5. Stainless Steel

Lips offered to do 3 more finishes.
6. Bright Chrome
7. Black Chrome
8. Gold Chrome
These were then returned to Mr Bulk for final assembly.

Offline shuter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 03:00:31 AM »
Mr. Bulk offered the DragonHeart in 5 finishes.
1. Bare Aluminum
2. HA III Natural
3. HA III Black
4. Brass
5. Stainless Steel

Lips offered to do 3 more finishes.
6. Bright Chrome
7. Black Chrome
8. Gold Chrome
These were then returned to Mr Bulk for final assembly.

Thank you sir.  Now for the tough part.....  Do you know how many Dragonhearts were produced in total or by color?

The Original CUBmeleon!  The gold looks pretty cool.  How tough is the plating?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:39:09 AM by shuter »

Offline BraddahBill

• Flashaholic
  • Lumens, don't know what it means, but I want some.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
Here's one for you Troy..............

As posted by SGC some time ago.

Lion Heart Nat HA build

I'm tired, and post these mostly without comments (because I'm tired!):

Deciphering the complex assembly instructions:

New probationary HAT member Braddah_Bill:

Metal Lei-Making 101:

Taking a breather outside my work cave

Lights all on lowest setting to keep from overwhelming the camera:

Thanks for your continued patience, gotta turn in now, because I'm REALLY tired ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:18:47 AM by BraddahBill »

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 04:02:36 AM »
I'd like to thank FF member shuter for his extensive research on the history of Bulk lights, as evidenced by his compilation chart which I've included in the main post.  He assembled all the data from researching past threads, and I made some minor corrections.  Now what we really need is Charlie to come through and adjust/fill in where we left off.

Offline griff

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 05:07:28 AM »
some pics

Too many to list!

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »
Lordy folks, i sure wish I could see the pics from where i am but alas, I can't.  Ken, the BBH  Big BulkHead was built by Okotoyomo ( I'll get shot for the spelling, forgive me).  It came after the VIP in a limited run of 100 (?) pieces.  It was (or MAY have been) the first huge head (3"" as I remember but I don't have one in front of me) to provide for exceptional throw from an LED.  I was on the original list for one and missed it but was able to acquire one or so afterwards due to some big help from the builder, kind folks here who had gotten more than one and had one to spare, dilligent searching (by yours truely!) and some folks who had gotten tired of the beam or needed money.  If it sound like I got 50, I didn't.  Is this what you were fater or have I just been flappin' my lips?

Karl 

Karl, thank you  :)

But???????  :icon_scratch:

Question for Darkgear,  a moderator, Mr B or anyone smarter than me so I don`t make a boo-boo  :-[  Darkgear posted a link in this thread. Can I copy/paste/post a couple sentences from that link?  This will help explain part of the reason for me posting my question "What is a BulkHead?" We all know my posts are 99.9% nonsense but I am being serious for a change.  :)

VIP:  What is a BulkHead?  How about........  What was a BulkHead?

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

Question for Darkgear,  a moderator, Mr B or anyone smarter than me so I don`t make a boo-boo  :-[  Darkgear posted a link in this thread. Can I copy/paste/post a couple sentences from that link? 

Ken, yes, you can either use the "quote" button or the standard cut and paste function on your computer.  Either way works, and either way is allowed on FF.  Thanks for your participation in this thread!  :thumbup:

griff and BraddahBill, thanks, guys, for your contributions here!  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:29:40 PM by arewethereyetdad »

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »

Question for Darkgear,  a moderator, Mr B or anyone smarter than me so I don`t make a boo-boo  :-[  Darkgear posted a link in this thread. Can I copy/paste/post a couple sentences from that link? 

Ken, yes, you can either use the "quote" button or the standard cut and paste function on your computer.  Either way works, and either way is allowed on FF.  Thanks for your participation in this thread!  :thumbup:

griff and BraddahBill, thanks, guys, for your contributions here!  :thumbup:

Howdy Troy!  :hello:

Below in red I found in the link Darkgear posted. There is a picture of this "VIP BulkHead" but it did not copy/paste with the words.

And finally, here is an accessory that enables the VIP to simulate the power and throw of much bigger Luxeon lights such as my own Space Needle II by simply unscrewing the stock head and replacing it with what I have none-too-bashfully christened -- The BulkHead™ (Thanks for the suggestion, Steve!):

This is actually a 2-inch Carley aluminum reflector, transformed into the BulkHead™ by threading the neck and adding a nearly invisibly-mounted bezel to retain the lens.

What is/was a VIP BulkHead?  Big BulkHead? :popcorn:  How many VIP heads were there and what diameters? I read about..... I`ll wait on that one.  :P  VIP was before my flashlight addiction but I am enjoying learning what I missed.  8)

***EDIT***

Since you went offline  :'(

17mm head
27mm BulkHead
2" BulkHead
3" Big BulkHead(Karl thinks?)
That makes 4 but again from Darkgears link.........

But just for kicks, he also made a one-off (and I mean ONE-OFF, so please DO NOT ASK for this!) gigantic, 4½-inch reflector head

WHAT?  :icon_scratch:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:57:50 PM by Kenster »

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

The VIP BH (Bulkhead) in that article was a one-off, Otokoyama was supposed to make and sell whatever VIP accessories he wished and decided to pursue only the larger BBH ("Big" BulkHead) so I have the only BH in existence.  But the Carley's 2-inch reflector walls are more straight-sided as opposed to parabolically curved as in the BBH, which I believe captured and presented forward more of the light emitted from the VIP.
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »
Howdy Charlie!  :hello2:

I edited and added some????? to my previous post.  :-[

Offline Steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
Hi Dad,

Great thread. Very helpful and educational for those of us who arrived late to the party! :occasion14:

Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:41:49 PM by Steve L »
Go Wings!!!

Offline wallyrulz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 02:59:46 AM »
Seeing those HAT pics makes me really miss what this hobby/obsession used to be...  :'(  Thanks for sharing those.  :thumbup:

I think that bare cub in Troy's picture is the one I used and abused so much that the switch doesn't work anymore.  It is NO where near as shiny anymore.  8)

Cool thread.  Miss the fun days.