Author Topic: Ti Gatlight- IN COLOR! (anodized)  (Read 15328 times)

Offline BigHonu

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Re: Ti Gatlight- IN COLOR! (anodized)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 07:13:15 AM »
You mean you can't anno the knob while it is on the light?  C'mon, 720V won't hurt it right?   ;)  :D

Offline Osprey Guy

• Flashaholic, Knifemaker
    • View Profile
    • NumberNine-Marketing Communications
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
With the AL units..don't know if you noticed but 3 holes are masked in the center section... so you need to make sure that the bars remain conductive... at that section... otherwise the light won't work (I assume that TI anodize is non conductive as well). To improve conductivity you can also create a scratch for those 3 bars using some pliers... that way when the bars slide in you get max conductivity. Also the 3 masked holes in the center need to match the 3 masked holes in the back...
Regards Walter

I don't know a thing about anodizing aluminum...other than being informed by the experts that it's a completely different process.  As for conductivity...the Ti rods that I anodized are totally covered...and the light works just fine.

You mean you can't anno the knob while it is on the light?  C'mon, 720V won't hurt it right?

That's the ticket! I'll just dunk the tail end of the light into the ano tank. A little extra "juice" might do it some good.

Dennis

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
interesting... AL anno is non conductive but seems TI is...didn't know that... I think bordeaux red would look cool too.... very cool
The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »
I think bordeaux red would look cool too.... very cool

I agree. Unfortunately, red is one of the two colors you can't achieve with Ti anodizing (black is the other). 
Fuscia or purple...yes... red ....no.

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
interesting I had no idea.. I knew about the black which is why the Tuxedo version was AL for the black parts but didnt know about red... is it any kind of red.. or just the pure red. F.e. a very dark red is that still not possible?

Offline freewheelin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »
As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong). Alum anodizing is a coating while the Ti anodizing Dennis does is done applying electrical voltage so there is nothing applied, the color is still bare Ti hence conductivity.

For some examples of posiblilities check the colors he put on my Dragon here:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php/topic,6350.0.html

My colorized Gat and Dragon are going to be my ultimate "Oh yeah, you got one of these" for all my flashaholic friends.
Mr Bulk Ti Dragon, SS & Black DragonHeart, Lion Cub, SNII, PM6 5w... GatLight III Ti & Tux... Arcmania KIT - B, Maxlite II, TTH... Milky KL3 w/Cree and KL1 w/Seoul 3 - 11 volt input. To name a few of my upper end lights.

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
hmmm there are all kinds of color combinations I could think off that would look awesome in a Gat... Orange Bars and black.. f.e. wouldnt that look neat. Can orange be done (that would be orange bars on a Tuxedo version?  Or how about bright orange bars and a dark marine blue (on an All TI version).

Would be fun to maybe make a special batch within the next run with some unique colors...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:07:52 AM by mobile1 »

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 02:24:39 AM »
Here's a Titanium Anodizing color chart that I found online... It's pretty consistent with other charts that I've seen. It illustrates the colors that are possible (There are always variables...size and shape being the biggest, which impact the outcome.  I simply can't always get the colors that I want. And those same variables also have a big effect on repeatability).

Dennis

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
Very cool... I'll think of some interesting combinations....

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
Would it be possible to anodize a small straight line lets say orange along the length of the bar, then do the rest some other color.... How does the process work.. you cover the area you don't want anodized then do one color...  do you need to mask everything in invert when doing the second color... or will the second color be preserved?

Offline Osprey Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
Yes, it is possible to do one line. Wouldn't be terribly difficult as the line is all that needs to be masked. The one caveat is that the line must be a color that's derived from a lower voltage than whatever's used on the rest of the flashlight. In otherwords...lay down the resist, in this case a line of some sort (probably using tape). Immerse the entire light and ano to desired color...Remove the resist (aka tape) and re-immerse entire light, this time at a lower voltage, one which won't effect the previous, higher voltage color.

If you wanted the line to be a color from the higher end of the spectrum, you'd have to ano the entire light at a lower voltage color, and then put a resist over the entire light except where you want the line. That area (the line) will be subjected to the higher voltage and change to the appropriate color (on top of the previous lower voltage color), while the rest of the light that's been covered with the resist will remain the same.

Comprende? I know, it can make your head spin...

Regarding your request for orange...please refer to the chart.  ;)

Dennis

Dennis

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:07 PM »
I think ORANGE bars... and very dark blue parts for everything else would look nice too.... the orange would be an awesome contrast to the carbon fiber cylinder...

I also got a bar of Timascus lying around somewhere...  we'll likely build a gatlight out of that one... I think the individual layers of the material can be anodized individually.... we'll see first we have to build that thing....

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »
question - what is the darkest TI-Anodize you could do?

Offline flashlight

• Flashaholic
  • Too many flashlights, not enough money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
question - what is the darkest TI-Anodize you could do?

Going by the chart above it would seem something in the 15-20V range?  :-[
'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.'
Albert Einstein

Offline jlboland

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »
Dennis - I've got a Ti Gatlight on order.  If I have it sent to you unassembled, what is the cost to anodize all the Ti parts the same blue, but solid, returning them to Gatlight for final assembly?

John Boland
johnboland@earthlink.net
509-582-7608