Author Topic: INTRODUCING - The Lumencraft Polaris (formerly knows as EOS)...  (Read 34608 times)

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Re: INTRODUCING - The Lumencraft Polaris (formerly knows as EOS)...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
What is this new ARC LS that everyone is talking about?  Photos!  (Please :))
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Phredd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
a) How do you like the name "Lumencraft Polaris" any better suggestions?

I like the name, but I wonder if you'll have trouble getting a trademark so similar to Polarion.

b) How do you like the outer shape?

It looks cool, BUT it's not different enough from other compact flashlights.  It certainly isn't unique as were the Gatlights.  The original EOS design was cool and unique, but it seems that you're now aiming for lower cost, which will pit the Polaris against a few other brands.  There were no matches for the Gatlight!

I wouldn't want a clip on mine since mine would go in my coin pocket.  I suggest making it an option.  Some people (not me) will want a keychain attachment.

c) How do you like the color scheme bordeaux red/black?

Very nice, but I'll bet that not everyone will like it.  I'd suggest you offer a choice of colors, including black on black.

d) Would you buy one?

Maybe.  It's just not as compelling as the Gatlights.  I love the Gatlight v3 that I bought.  Honestly, before buying the Polaris, I'd compare it with other compact flashlights.  A key performance basis would be the variable control, both ease of turning and smooth transitioning.

I'd also wait to see if I'd win one. (hint hint)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:24:51 PM by Phredd »

Offline FRANKVZ

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
What is this new ARC LS that everyone is talking about?  Photos!  (Please :))

Look here Reg:  http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2046671&postcount=513 and here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2046702&postcount=524

Also, I would like to see a place to attach a lanyard and either HA natural or maybe a chrome model on the Polaris....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:09:21 PM by FRANKVZ »

Offline dmdrewitt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
Regentag

I think you should post your thoughts on the Arc LS in the cpf thread, and we can try and guess your new name!!

D

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
That's one of those "Spirit of CPF" threads. 

20+ pages of beating dead horses over and over again.

A prepay would be icing on the cake.

Cheers,
///rā'gən·täg

EricMack

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »
A prepay would be icing on the cake.

Cheers,

Lumencraft has always delivered in the past, but prepays in general are negative for me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:08:28 PM by EricMack »

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 04:23:38 AM »
Prepays.  The bane of the forums.  Pay now, get your name on a list!!  Maybe some time down the road you might actually receive your paid-for items.  Unless it's a Mr. Bulk pre-pay (no risk there), you should always stay away from pre-pays.  Just in case any rookies are tuning in.   ;)

Offline Phredd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:11 AM »
Prepays.  The bane of the forums.  Pay now, get your name on a list!!  Maybe some time down the road you might actually receive your paid-for items.  Unless it's a Mr. Bulk pre-pay (no risk there), you should always stay away from pre-pays.  Just in case any rookies are tuning in.   ;)

There are cynics, and of course some pre-pays may be riskier than others, but I can vouch for Lumencraft.  They have an excellent reputation.  I participated in the Gatlight V3 pre-pay and there were plenty of status updates including photos.  I ended up with perhaps the most unique and truly excellent light!

I also think it's very uncool to trash a manufacturer in their forum.

Phredd

PS - I'm new here, but I've been on CPF for quite a while, which is where the Gatlight pre-pay was held.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:02:36 AM by Phredd »

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 05:14:36 AM »
I suggest that the matter be taken up with the manager.  ;)
///rā'gən·täg

EricMack

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
Actually, I lost track and thought this thread was in General.  :rolleye:

That said, I stand by what I stated, and Walter has asked for opinions.  I did not buy a V3 because of the prepay.  I would not buy this no matter how much I liked it if it involves a prepay.  A reasonable deposit is one thing, being asked to front the bill upfront and bear the risk entirely is another.  :thumbdown:

That stated, it should be noted that Lumencraft has always followed through.  :thumbup: 
I still wouldn't do a prepay on principal.

PS - I'm new here, but I've been on CPF for quite a while, which is where the Gatlight pre-pay was held.

Welcome to FF, Phredd.  I've been at CPF for a long time too, and its because of that I have made my decision on prepays.

Offline Mike75

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »
 Hi!
  This new version is not what you were talking about previously, but completly different design.This is why it was surprising to see the name of this thread... This current design is pretty much boring, save for the red tail switch, which is actually a nice touch. The name chosen is not mindblowing either, I think you should double check the copyright on this one, since the snow vehicle branded "Polaris" exists...
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Vehicles/
 Another thing to mention is the choice to use optics...This is not the best choice these days - so maybe you should reconsider.
If I'd buy one? I think the answer will depend on what will be the final specs of this one and the final price... And I'm against paying all the amount upfront anyway. Deposit of 20% of the value should be the way to go.
 Just my 50 cents...

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »
There are cynics, and of course some pre-pays may be riskier than others, but I can vouch for Lumencraft.  They have an excellent reputation.  I participated in the Gatlight V3 pre-pay and there were plenty of status updates including photos.  I ended up with perhaps the most unique and truly excellent light!

I also think it's very uncool to trash a manufacturer in their forum.

Phredd

Phredd, perhaps I'm reading you wrong, but I get the impression that you feel I'm trashing the thread by stating my opinion on prepays.  I, too, participated in the Gatlight prepay on CPF and am the proud owner of no fewer than THREE Gatlights.  What's "uncool" here are those who jump to quick conclusions and create controversy from where there was none.

Cynic?  No.  Thread trasher?  No.  I've been around the forums for a while and I know what I'm doing.  If you read Mobile1's initial post, it clearly states he's looking for opinions.  That means he's going to get them - good, bad, or indifferent.

Sounds to me like someone didn't read the entire thread before posting his OWN trashing.   :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 04:06:05 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback... really appreciated.. Its nice to get straight opinions...  and to be honest... the renderings I posted are not quite the entire story... the story has 3 acts...(or better the Polaris has 3 versions) - the 3rd one being the most exciting one - and honestly where we started with this light I believe in line with the Gatlight in terms of coolness.... We haven't decided yet whether to show the 3rd act...  yet... but I'll give you a glimps into the Polaris - 2nd act (which will be more expensive then the first one).... and remember this second step is more an attempt to find some middle ground between the third step and the first one.... so no worries guys... we'll stick to unique and cool lights.... just wait until we reveal the 3rd version...

The second version of the Polaris features a sleeve that allows to incorporate different textures, materials and colors...
For example here Titanium and Wood

Or here Titanium and Leather

Or here simply a 2 tone model.... NEXT to a AA battery that shows how small this light is, I don't think there is another light out there with a 123 battery that is smaller in diameter and probably also length...  add on top of that the variable brightness feature, momentary and permanent push button....

And I know that the sleeve thing has been done before... but as mentioned this version is not a copy of what has been done before but more a step down from our original concept the 3rd version (also likely the most expensive one - in the price range of the GatLights).

So how do you guys like this version 2.... lets say Titanium Wood (my preference) or Titanium Leather... any takers out there...

A NOTE REGARDING PREPAY: We probably might do something where prepay gives a discount and access to low serials (or special engraving), while no prepay (card gets charged when light ships) orders could be more expensive...without the low/pick serial option... that would create some middle ground...for everyone and also a compensation for the risk of prepay.

NAMING: I like some of the suggested names.... ASTRON I found particularly interesting.... have to keep that one in mind...

Ledmuseum Review: Greg from LEDMUSEUM got to play with the EOS (that someone posted the pictures off) - he got just the prototype - I kept the lady :-)  ... and he wrote a review about it... this light will have the same form factor and function then the one he reviewed.. of course we'll use the brightest LED at the time when/if we go into production...
He wrote about it here: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/eleventh/eosproto.htm
(and regarding the only con - that tape might have been used to attach the sapphires... nope no tape was used so no residues it's a full retention setting)

Anyone out there who preferred the 3 carat - sapphire bling EOS Prototype over this version?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:23:05 AM by mobile1 »
The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline Steve Stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 04:28:46 AM »
Walter, looks very nice.  Can't wait to see the third version.  Maybe you can call just the second version light the Astron (I do like that name) and the third version the Astronomical.  That would leave the basic light as the Economical.

Is there a reason for using an optic instead of a reflector?  The light would look better in my opinion with a reflector so one can see the clear detail behind the lens.  Though it would be expensive, a cylinder of damascus could be stunning.

On the basic version why not extend the lens retaining ring to act as a bezel so as to protect the front of the light from wear when standing it on the front?

Steve
CMG & Gerb IU; FenixL1/P1; Peak Matterhor/Kilmanja/Caribbe/Pacif/McKinRGB; Jil DD; LionCub-blk,nat,brass;Cham/Dam Cham; FF III; CR2 Ions; McLux III-PD/Ti-PD; RAW NS/Ti/DA; Neoca BL brass/Ni; SPY005; HDS B42XRGT;Lambda AAA; Firefli;Exolion SS; Gatlight V3. Coming?:AWR Nano; Firefly-III exotics

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 04:49:18 AM »
Is there a reason for using an optic instead of a reflector?  The light would look better in my opinion with a reflector....

ditto
nemul