Author Topic: INTRODUCING - The Lumencraft Polaris (formerly knows as EOS)...  (Read 34606 times)

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
INTRODUCING - The Lumencraft Polaris (formerly knows as EOS)...
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
------------ORIGINAL POST------------------
Hi guys...so here are some renderings regarding the Light formerly known as EOS (read up here http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php/topic,5208.45.html).

The new name we thought we go with is: Polaris and the light will be known as Lumencraft Polaris.

The size, performance and form factor is basically the same as discussed before... the only thing we changed is the outer shape (let us know how you like that... since we can still change that) this first version will be black hard anodized AL... we try to make it affordable.. however pricing is still out...since we're still getting quotes in.

Here are the specs:
LED: V-bin LED!!!

Battery: 123 Primary Lithium

Runtime: 40min (at max. Setting) 250h at min setting

Brightness: Regulated..smooth variable brightness adjustment by rotating the knob in the back.

Material: T6 Aluminum with a black hard annodize coating for body and bordeaux red for back (however still open for discussion)

Push Button: Yes - located in the center of the knob

Momentary function: Yes

Serial Numbers: Very Likely

Size: 3.35 inches long and 0.82 inches wide. We designed the light to make it as small as possible... its probably the smallest light out there featuring a 123 battery, regulated, variable brightness and push button...

Clip: we MIGHT provide the option to have a clip welded onto the light / or we might have all lights have one.

Price Target: <$200  hopefully less then $150 (we're still waiting for quotes)

SIGN UP: Probably within 2 weeks... we'll have an option available on our website... we'll probably have to do that one prepay again... but we meanwhile do have a track record of delivering...

Then here is some eye candy

So FEEDBACK please to these questions:

a) How do you like the name "Lumencraft Polaris" any better suggestions?

b) How do you like the outer shape?

c) How do you like the color scheme bordeaux red/black?

d) Would you buy one?

Of course we still have plans to make other versions in the future with some really cool ideas..with the same design base.. however we need to do some research first into whether our ideas are even possible... which we'll do when this round is on it's way.

-----------UPDATE: Version 2 Polaris (Concept Only)--------------------

The second version of the Polaris (more $$$) features a sleeve that allows to incorporate different textures, materials and colors...
For example here Titanium and Wood

Or here Titanium and Leather

Or here simply a 2 tone model.... NEXT to a AA battery that shows how small this light is, I don't think there is another light out there with a 123 battery that is smaller in diameter and probably also length...  add on top of that the variable brightness feature, momentary and permanent push button....

UPDATE------THERE IS A 3RD VERSION---
Here are those renderings.. one warning we don't know if we can make that version work at reasonable costs... so that would have to be evaluated...

So this one is titanium with a sapphire transparent window with an underlying titanium skeleton containing the laser engraving....

or here another version.. blue sapphire glass and black AL body...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:30:38 PM by mobile1 »
The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline aikiman44

• View Profile
Re: INTRODUCING - The Lumencraft Polaris (formerly knows as EOS)...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
I like the name, shape and color scheme :thumbup:
Just different enough.  I'd buy one.
I said I liked it.  I didn't say I wanted to kiss it.
 - In a Lonely Place

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
I think you know what a big fan of the Gatlight I am, Walter, so having said that, let me be frank (since you want our feedback here publicly):

I think the name is too similar to the Polarion.  I think this light is incredibly average-looking and not at all unique.  We have come to expect uniqueness from Lumencraft.  But this - yet another anodized aluminum rear switch 123-powered round pocket light doesn't do it for me.  I've got plenty of those.  What I want is something different.....like the Gatlight was when it was introduced.  Like Data's doing with the Spy007.  Those are unique.  Those are lights I can be proud of.

No, I won't be buying this one.

Offline glock18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »
1. Please no clip for me, it takes away from the clean lines.
2. At 150 I would buy at 200 might think twice.
3. the red end looks real nice.
4. Can it use rechargeable batteries.
5. I don't line the name, reminds me of the snowmobile Polaris 

EricMack

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »
The name is good.  The outer shape is boring.  Nothing visual going on there, nothing unique.  Need to do something to make it fresh.  Besides, when grasping the barrel whilst operating the back knob, the barrel needs some type of knurling or pattern so your fingers can get a grip.  The colors are OK,  I assume it will be HA III?  Will I buy one - no, not based on this rendering.  But that's why you are asking for opinions... as is the light doesn't stand out from the noise, as every Gatlight has always done.  The design needs to be more exciting, IMO.

Thanks for sharing the renderings, and asking for our opinions!  :thumbup:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »
Not crazy about the name...   Maybe a "name that light" thread like Charlie did for the Dragon would be at hand (winner gets a free light)...

I think the user interface that can be dialed in and pressed for the brightness (you want) is unique given "any" other light available today (including the titan). Marking the brightness levels on dial may be a good idea... Smoothing the brightness levels would be a positive too...

The light is simple/plain looking but that may be a variable of the cost or it could be made into a benefit... Other coatings are available!

That Chinese light that everyone went crazy over was around $80 retail. You know the one you turned back and forth and back and forth to change settings (one level)     :rolleye:...

Knurling or exotic cuts may make it visually more appealing vs  added  cost...

The user interface is simple enough...    (Strobe or Flash possible at end of turn would sell lights) I know everybody hates it but they sure as hell sell lights!

Rechargeable is a must!

The red end contrast looks great...

If you do a clip please make it user installable...

$150 or so I'm buying one to just to see it...

Cheers...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:03:35 PM by Lips »
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline freewheelin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
 :thumbup: I'm in, though it's not anything special to look at and I've got plenty of black lights, but I'm hooked on the control knob for brightness. At $150.00 I'm in for sure. Wish mine could be all bordeaux red.
If you can make delivery by July 4 make it a red tail blue body with beautiful white light and call it the Lumemcraft Patriot.  :P
Mr Bulk Ti Dragon, SS & Black DragonHeart, Lion Cub, SNII, PM6 5w... GatLight III Ti & Tux... Arcmania KIT - B, Maxlite II, TTH... Milky KL3 w/Cree and KL1 w/Seoul 3 - 11 volt input. To name a few of my upper end lights.

Offline Hodsta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
Polaris is an important star (noth and all that) but not particularly bright, about average, when viewed from Earth in the northern hemisphere.

Why Polaris?

Having said that names are very subjective and like band names I think the light makes the name rather than the other way around.

Offline dmdrewitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
I think you know what a big fan of the Gatlight I am, Walter, so having said that, let me be frank (since you want our feedback here publicly):

I think the name is too similar to the Polarion.  I think this light is incredibly average-looking and not at all unique.  We have come to expect uniqueness from Lumencraft.  But this - yet another anodized aluminum rear switch 123-powered round pocket light doesn't do it for me.  I've got plenty of those.  What I want is something different.....like the Gatlight was when it was introduced.  Like Data's doing with the Spy007.  Those are unique.  Those are lights I can be proud of.

I agree with Dad.

I really liked the EOS pictures in the link in post 1. Titanium. Same switch as Gatlight V3. I am not sure why you have moved away from the EOS materials and design.

David  :(

Offline Hodsta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »

I agree with Dad.

I really liked the EOS pictures in the link in post 1. Titanium. Same switch as Gatlight V3. I am not sure why you have moved away from the EOS materials and design.

David  :(

I don't dislike the design, it's probably an improvement on some of the lights I own that would get used for the same purpose as the Lumencraft...........but in agreement with Dad, we expect more from Lumencraft, if you are going to make lights that are sold with a Rolls Royce (per your earlier post) a variable lumem Fenix look-a-like is the wrong direction.

+1 for the EOS original design

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »

HMMM  !!!

That Ladys hands & legs  sure looked good to me!  I'll take those and leave you guys the lights!

Old Version

VS

New Version

I like the knob of the new Version better but the light could use something?...

Lumemcraft Patriot as freewheelin proclaimed sounds better...

Lumencraft Astron (variable brightness star) is an option as well as Lumencraft Pulsar or Lumencraft Protean or Lumencraft Impulse or Lumencraft Varibright or  Lumencraft VeriStar

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:49:49 PM by Lips »
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Steve Stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
I like the light; clean and simple.  I don't need bling or total uniqueness or a fancy shape to enjoy a light.  Color combination is super.  Maybe add green and/or blue switch but red and black is very nice.  Name?  I can't see the name when I need the light in darkness so it's not important to me.  I would prefer no clip.  Would I buy?  Very good chance as it appeals big time to me.  If you can incorporate some small flats on the sides to keep the light from rolling away that might be good (if it looks good).  I like the looks, so far, better than the Eos.

Steve
CMG & Gerb IU; FenixL1/P1; Peak Matterhor/Kilmanja/Caribbe/Pacif/McKinRGB; Jil DD; LionCub-blk,nat,brass;Cham/Dam Cham; FF III; CR2 Ions; McLux III-PD/Ti-PD; RAW NS/Ti/DA; Neoca BL brass/Ni; SPY005; HDS B42XRGT;Lambda AAA; Firefli;Exolion SS; Gatlight V3. Coming?:AWR Nano; Firefly-III exotics

Offline Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »
Definately needs some groves and or knurling.
I hope that it will work with rechargeables.
If it will work with rechargeables, I will buy one. I might buy one if it don't.

Offline glock18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
It reminds me of my silencer - How about the Lumencraft Silencer

Offline BigHonu

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 07:57:33 AM »
So FEEDBACK please to these questions:

a) How do you like the name "Lumencraft Polaris" any better suggestions?

Name sounds good, though I did like EOS as well. 

b) How do you like the outer shape?

The overall shape looks so-so.  Given the target price point, I'm assuming that you guys are going for utility over exclusivity so I understand that machining this shape may be easier/cheaper than a more complex design.  I'm assuming that the rendering was to give us an idea of the shape, but lacks the knurling/grooves/pocket clip of the finished product.   

c) How do you like the color scheme bordeaux red/black?

I think it is okay if there are future plans to make the tailcap section an accessory in the future.  Offer different colors, textures, trit options, etc.  Otherwise it really doesn't do anything for me.   

d) Would you buy one?

At this point: Maybe

It's biggest selling point is the UI.

In my mind, this latest rendering puts it squarely up against the new ARC LS, HDS Twisty, and Novatac lines.

Things that would push me toward buying one at your $150 price point: 
Needs to have a good beam pattern (because I'm not a fan of optics). 
Because it looks like you are going more for the utility angle, it should have an attachment point for a lanyard, and an optional pocket clip, and some decent knurling.