Author Topic: New Alu Proto  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Orb

• www.Lummi.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Lummi
New Alu Proto
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »
:wave: Guys. I am working on a new RCR2 / CR2 Aluminum light whose internal components are identical to the Alu Raw. I wanted to add more shape to the Raw which you can see I have done below.
The proto is 10mm to long & the drawings submitted to the CNC shop reflect this. So a production model will be 10mm shorter than what you see here.
Total length will be the same as the last Alu Raw we sold 57mm long. Diameter is a little bigger @ 22mm (The Widest point) Going down to 19mm towards the front.
There will be the option of H3 Locators in the doughnut end of the light with lanyard attachment also.
There will be a milled logo & I may add some detail to the body yet.
It is a twisty two stage (15 Low 160 High) Cree XR-E Min Q5.
There are double O rings on the battery holder & a O ring Lens end.
The metal work for this new design is more expensive than the last Alu Raw which I did plan on superseding with this new light? Its looking like I should be able to retail the new design @ £45 (Not Firm Yet) with Nano charger & PRCR2. Locators would be the usual £6 each.
To sum up it could be the new Alu Raw? Or maybe the Alu Raw will live on?
There will be a 100 of Raw NS/Ti style made from Alu in March, These will have the milled Logo Raw Al, & will be the Lightest Raw Series made to date.
Photos below of the new Proto light.

Image above shows the actual length compared to a Wee Ti.

Feedback is appreciated as always  :thumbup:

EricMack

Re: New Alu Proto
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
Nice design, Rob.  :thumbup:  I like the clean, smooth lines.  Will you be making any of these in Ti?  Trit in the tail is better (IMO) than along the sides.  What's the donut looking thing on the tail?  How does it attach?

Interesting...  8)

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »
Typically cool outside-the-box thinking from Orb.  A taste of the past and a nod to the Original Orb, the sexiest light ever made.  This will indeed be a very interesting build.  Would sure love to see it in Ti.  :popcorn:

Offline flashlight

• Flashaholic
  • Too many flashlights, not enough money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
Trit in tail AND along the sides.  ;)
'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.'
Albert Einstein

Offline Steve Stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »
I still want an old style Aluminum Raw but, if possible, with a smooth tail.  Do you have any left Rob or can make me one?  I've been holding off hoping you might have more Raw Ag and I could order them both together.  The new design doesn't interest me; too smooth and rounded as is the Orb.  I like simple and clean- which the new design is- but I guess I just prefer a different simple and clean style as in the RAWs to date.  They are among my favorite and most often used lights still.  I hope you will continue the old style RAW Aluminum as it was but make some smooth tailed ones too.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:50:51 PM by Steve Stephens »
CMG & Gerb IU; FenixL1/P1; Peak Matterhor/Kilmanja/Caribbe/Pacif/McKinRGB; Jil DD; LionCub-blk,nat,brass;Cham/Dam Cham; FF III; CR2 Ions; McLux III-PD/Ti-PD; RAW NS/Ti/DA; Neoca BL brass/Ni; SPY005; HDS B42XRGT;Lambda AAA; Firefli;Exolion SS; Gatlight V3. Coming?:AWR Nano; Firefly-III exotics

Offline glock18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
It has super clean lines, coount me in for one when done.

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »
Now why didn't I think of that?  An IUD that lights up!  ;)

I like it!! +1 on the Ti...

Cheers,
///rā'gən·täg

Offline be.irenic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »
I'm interested in Ti also!
-Jody

Offline London Lad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:24:25 AM »
I think the new light looks great as it is.  :thumbup: Milled logo & detail to the body would spoil it.
Soon, some alien flying a starship in a distant galaxy will be blinded by an unknown light source, causing it to crash into a nearby moon.
Reconstructing the path of the light source, our planet will be wiped out by a fleet of warships demanding restitution.

Offline Mike75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
 This may be your best looking light up to date... :thumbup: I know, I have almost all of them.
I think that Ti version would be nice, but I think that I'll take it in alu too...
Just let us know what options are available and I'm in...
 Thanks,
    Michael.

Offline Aten_Imago

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • Imago Metrics - Illuminations Pilot - ISO 20282
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:52 AM »
I want one but would have done the tailswitch so that it continued the silhouette of the body. That would conform to strict 'Steamline' design philosophy. ;)

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 02:45:17 AM »
That would conform to strict 'Steamline' design philosophy.

Steamline, eh?  I think I can, I think I can...  ;)
///rā'gən·täg