Author Topic: What has Lumencraft been up to lately...  (Read 15170 times)

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
What has Lumencraft been up to lately...
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:03:14 AM »
Hi everyone

First sorry that we've dropped a bit out of sight... for a while.. but we simply had to go back and catch up with our other commitments.
This does not mean that nothing has happened during that time frame. So here is what we've been up to and what will happen in the near future.
  • It looks like the GatLight V3 will be featured in a movie currently in production by paramount. Its about good guys (futuristic soldiers) chasing aliens (bad guys). The light will be seen mounted on helmets and weapons, which gives the best chance that it will be shown in the movie. As time progresses I might be able to show photos (if they allow us). One of the main weapons the light will be mounted on is still a foam model. But we should have more info in a while. They've requested more lights which we will gladly supply them with.

• The GatLight V3 is currently featured in this months Popular Mechanics edition (February Edition) since they have 8 Mio readers this keeps us on our toes with people asking questions as well as placing preorders. However we are out of stock with the V3 Titanium Units and with the Tuxedo we're pretty much out of stock as well (I think we have 1 or 2 untis left in the store). You can read what they wrote on their blog entry as well (we were quite amused to learn that the v3 survives hard pitches against a concrete wall) - read up on it here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4233287.html

• Then we got approached by a US gadget magazine who will feature the GatLight on the cover as well as make it the cover story with interview etc.. We are very excited about this and I'll make sure to give you all the details...as soon as we are sure it will happen.

• Then we've spent quite a bit of time trying to convince Rolls Royce Motorcars to produce a unique GatLight version for them.. We've sent them a sample, they really liked the light however they felt that the price was a bit too high (which is probably true if you look at your standard flashlight that car manufacturers offer). So we asked whether we can produce the light for them... and sell it ourselves and just pay royalties. However that was not possible - I assume it has to do with their own legal licensing of the Rolls Royce brand - I think the mark is owned by the aircraft engine rolls royce company and motorcars is just licensing it. Anyway so unfortunately this did not happen, however they were very friendly and very nice to deal with. I don't know if approaching the aircraft-rolls royce company would work... However allow me to show you the design we had worked out for them... I find it too beautiful to just let it sit in a drawer so here it is:

• Then regarding the eos we are planning to make 2 version so far. One black hard annodized AL version and one titanium version. We leave out the bling for either both or just the AL version. Of course we also need to change the name to one that is not trademarked by another flashlight company.

Anyway so this what we've been up to. We likely start doing another production round within a couple weeks... this will be a round of GatLight TI, a first round of EOS and an extra round of drivers so you guys with V2 can upgrade and get a light that matches the V3 in brightness.. as well as significantly improving the user interface.

If you have any questions I am glad to answer them here in this thread.
The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline dmdrewitt

• View Profile
Re: What has Lumencraft been up to lately...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Thanks for the update Walter  :thumbup:

Offline Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
Thanks!  Great Rolls design!!  Wating for the EOS withOUT the bling. :thumbup:

Karl

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »
So good to hear from you.  Thanks for remembering us here at FF.  Most of us love the Gatlight!  I own a Ti V3 and two SS V2's!   8)

Can you please give us an update for the poor fellas waiting to hear about the photo contest?  We've got guys not sleeping at night, seeing psychiatrists, and filling our forum with meaningless jabble, all because there has been no update with the photo contest.   ;)

Looking forward to all the positive things to come from Lumencraft.  I love the irony that Rolls Royce, of all companies, finds the cost of the special Gatlight to be too high.  :laughing7:

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
Blame it on the Bavarians. ;)

Nice design... truly the Rolls-Royce of flashlights.
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »
Also waiting for the V3 upgrade for my humble SS V2 and the fix for one of the bars... 

I would love to get a white (more like the ole XO tint) vs the V1? (I forget) that is in the light.

Everyone who sees the light is also impressed with the design - can't wait to see it brighter and perform better.

Geo
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:26:38 PM »
Thanks.... regarding the contest, we will get this next production round started (which will include the drivers for the V2 upgrade)...should be about 2-2 weeks until we have all the POs out... then I'll do the website showing our favorites and start voting...

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
should be about 2-2 weeks until we have all the POs out.

2 -2 weeks.  Must be that Twilight Zone time in between 2 weeks and 2 weeks.  :laughing7:

Offline Mike75

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
 :thumbup: If the R&D on EOS is thinished and you're actually going to start production, you can start an interest list... I'm going to be the first one to join ... :thumbup:
 Michael.

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 04:39:12 AM »
Well regarding the EOS R&D... we've been looking at it and looking at it and looking at it... and somehow from a design point of view I thought we can do better... the problem I had is compared to the GatLight it simply pales in comparison... and I think it should be so awesome that one would want both....
Also the EOS is kind of back heavy... which kind of does not look that great. Anyway so we spent a couple days on it and came up with an entirely new look (same size still) and it simply looks stunning (very very futuristic!!! and more masculine though). (No more brilliant cut sapphire jewellry...  instead we came up with something better)

The only problem is that it takes up space..and we don't really have any space in that form factor... Kyle basically pulled a miracle how he managed to get that push button into the back of the EOS considering the size of the light... now to make the new look happen another miracle needs to happen in the front of the light... so keep your fingers crossed...  Then if we can make it work we need to get a quote for one part to make sure its not cost prohibitive..we have no clue at what cost we're looking at... so after we can make sure it can be machined, we need to get a quote from China (probably takes a month since they start their new year celebrations in a day or two where everything is closed)... then once we know it can be made at reasonable cost... we'll open sign up and show some renderings.

And of course if it can't be made...we'll show the renderings as well... :-) so you all can see what we missed... Anyway but that is for the more expensive model.... the affordable black AL model EOS... we might launch that one earlier already... and that one might have the new look as well.. just not this one extra design feature....

Anyway I am really excited... if we can pull that "more expensive EOS" off it will be another simply unique light that looks like no other one out there.... so hang in there.. good things are happening or lets hope at least.

Offline dang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
Oh man, what a tease

Also, what's the news with the second run of the V3 Gatlight? I can't wait for the V2 upgrade!

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
Oh man, what a tease

Also, what's the news with the second run of the V3 Gatlight? I can't wait for the V2 upgrade!

No doubt.  We're seriously eating popcorn on this one.  Yes, and good question about the V2 upgrade.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
Anyway I am really excited... if we can pull that "more expensive EOS" off it will be another simply unique light that looks like no other one out there.... so hang in there.. good things are happening or lets hope at least.

Keep pluggin forward!     :usa2:      :lowbatts:         :notworthy:       :headbang:

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 01:11:22 AM »
Second run Gat's WILL happen we got quite a few preorders from the popular mechanics article in this months edition... so we'll do the v2 upgrade at the same time.
By the way I'll be at the shotshow Saturday and Sunday...so if anyone wants to take a look at the prototype EOS, the V3 or an upgraded V2... let me know..... pm me your cell phone and I'll let you know when I'll be where....

Offline dang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:21:23 AM »
*wow*