Author Topic: Survival knives, hollow handled.  (Read 35141 times)

Offline PoliceScannerMan

• Moderator BatMan
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Re: Survival knives, hollow handled.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 03:46:21 AM »
Thanks guys, going camping on 2/15, thats when the Aviator is getting broken in....
Proud member of "The Bulk Crowd™".
-PSM

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 04:23:38 AM »
Camping, eh?

Be sure to pack a length of 600lb Kevlar line in the handle in case you need to rig a make-shift garrote.
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Chronos

• Life Is Good!
    • View Profile
    • Racer-X
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 04:28:56 AM »
Camping, eh?

Be sure to pack a length of 600lb Kevlar line in the handle in case you need to rig a make-shift garrote.
Ah, yes, the (in)famous Honduran Necktie.

I was packing some hiking gear one night when a friend opened the end of my hollow-handle survival knife. Out poured the contents, including a yard or so of flexible wire saw. He asked what it was for... well, the rest is between me and my priest.
A few favorites from milkyspit, McGizmo, Surefire, MR Bulk and others

Here at Flashlight-Forums we put the "FUN" in "DYSFUNCTIONAL."®

Offline PoliceScannerMan

• Moderator BatMan
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »
Yep, actually its a Suwanne river cabin up toward Live Oak.  We will be staying in a tent, as the cabin only slleps 8-10.  Its the way my buddy wants his bachelor party. We're still working out the fine details for Saturday night. :naughty:

One thing is for sure, were am bringing a whole Pig to cook underground..... :headbang:
-PSM

Offline griff

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »
   Brandon  Watch for flying Carp on the Suwanna

Rep Columnists
This story is full of carp
Sunday, July 1, 2007
By ANGIE GENT

The fish have had enough.

Call it revenge for centuries of yanking their kin from the water, or call it payback for all the fish tales spun by countless fishermen. Whatever their reason, the fish are fuming.

THE ASIAN INVASION

CNN reporter David Mattingly found out the hard way that something was indeed fishy in the waters of Havana, Ill.

Tales of flying, furious fish lured the newsman onto a boat with local fisherman. Out in open water, he quickly learned that the story was full of carp - Asian carp.

Talking on camera, Mattingly was repeatedly pummeled by the airborne fish. The final blow - a rocket hit to the chest - reportedly left him bruised. As a reporter beaten up by fish on camera - and on video played online countless times - I think his public image might've suffered the same fate.

I wonder, are fish attacks covered by worker's comp? And how do you explain your injuries after something like that?

Something tells me if you told your doc, "These fish jumped out of the water and slammed into me," you might get a pass to the psych ward instead of a note for your boss.

In Mattingly's defense, these aren't ordinary fish. The Asian carp can weigh up to 100 pounds and grow to four feet in length. And the reporter certainly wasn't their first casualty. Mattingly's report came after numerous incidents of fishermen being pelted by the fish, which reportedly fly into a rage - and out of the water - when disturbed by boat noise.

The carp have caused black eyes and broken noses and even have knocked out some boaters and riders on Jet Skiis.

Like some wayward lab experiment in a science fiction movie, the kung fu carp are the result of meddling humans. Catfish farmers imported them in the '70s, but then the carp flowed into the Mississippi River after flooding in the 1990s. Now they've come on with a vengeance, gobbling up other fish and threatening the Great Lakes ecosystem. Oh, and anyone who gets in their way.

HOLD THE TARTAR SAUCE

Staying away from the Great Lakes might save you from ninja fish - but not if you're heading to Florida.

Fish anarchy has hit there, too, only this time sturgeon are to blame.

Last month, a woman was knocked out by one of the flying fish while boating on the Suwannee River. The victim was taken to the hospital, a good thing considering the unfortunate outcome for another woman who crossed a sturgeon there in April.

While racing along the water on a Jet Ski, the 50-year-old woman was hit and knocked out by the flying sturgeon. She bit through her tongue. But that wasn't the worst of it.

Her fingers were sheared off by the bony plates on the fish's back, and her spleen was ruptured. Surgeons were able to re-attach three of her fingers, but she lost her left pinkie finger and a tooth.

Imagine losing your finger and a tooth to a Kamikaze fish. That's a real fish story your boss probably wouldn't believe.
Too many to list!

Offline griff

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
Also keep an eye out for that women's"  tooth" :thumbup:
Too many to list!

Offline PoliceScannerMan

• Moderator BatMan
  • Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »
Also keep an eye out for that women's"  tooth" :thumbup:
Trust me, it wont be locals, imports only... :laughing7:

BTW, I heard the helo report on the Sturgeon that hit that woman in your "clam earning" story!  8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 02:59:04 PM by PoliceScannerMan »
-PSM

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 07:23:37 AM »
I heard she's suing the Sturgeon for malpractice.
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Rebel

• with a cause
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
I saw the first post of this and was going to recommend a Wilkinson Sword Dartmore, but graciously bowed out.

I'm glad I did cos these look wicked PSM!

btw - I own, but here in suburbia am unlikely to need a WS Dartmore, interested in any views however.

That would be Dartmoor which is a wilderness area in South West England (not that we really have any wilderness left).  I used to live a few miles from it, in the area I lived there was a large military base on it which might be how the knife got it's name in part (I don't know, just guessing).

The knife was made by Wilkinson Sword, one of England's last knife makers who have now been bought by Fiskars (who make Gerber as well). Maybe Fiskars will revive the knife under the Gerber brand name.  Anyway AFAIK you can only get them used now and only collectors buy them.

People want silly prices for them such as this seller here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WILKINSON-DARTMOOR-KNIFE-CSK185-3-LOGOS-ONLY-1-IN-WORLD_W0QQitemZ130185373940QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16042QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WILKINSON-DARTMOOR-KNIFE-CSK185-UNRELEASED-STEEL-FINISH_W0QQitemZ130188725184QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16042QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I'm not a collector so I could be wrong but they don't seem like a good investment if you want to be able to sell them on later at those prices.  I think the only satisfaction would be in the pride of ownership, you certainly wouldn't want to use them for the tasks they were intended to perform at those prices.

Oh, and congratulations on the CRK purchase at that low price. Better watch out CRK have been known to stop supplying to sellers who sell too cheap.  They also stop supplying to sellers who export directly overseas.  A big sale of Sebenzas was stopped on one forum because a jealous seller grassed up on the person who was organizing the sale to the UK from the States.  We lost out on some pretty keen prices.
“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country." - Edward Bernays

Offline Hodsta

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
£895!!!!!! that's $1800.

I paid £180 for mine shortly before they went out of production. It has been poorly sharpened though so doubt it would ever sell as a collectors knife. Not the reason I purcnased it though so not fussed.

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »

... A big sale of Sebenzas was stopped on one forum because a jealous seller grassed up on the person who was organizing the sale to the UK from the States.  We lost out on some pretty keen prices.

That no-good Benedict Arnold!

Hold on... :thinking:

Cheers,
///rā'gən·täg

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »
Rambo has gone all "folksy" in the latest sequel ("First Blood Transfusion")...

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/rambo-4-knife/

Gil is making them to look just as if they were forged in a jungle by an amateur!

Get 'em while they're hot!

///rā'gən·täg

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:07 PM »

Inset photo - Sly poses with knife after defying the laws of physics! :yawn:

Cheers,
///rā'gən·täg

Offline astrotec

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
if you want a generally robust knife  that does not cost an arm and a leg...   well   consider  a Ka-Bar  good all around knife  and  also a Lankay  M-09 or  M-11(eod)  happen to have a somewhat rare  M-11 with EOD pouch too  int'l orange in color  includes an orange mini- m@g too  (no not for sale here yet)

o well
enjoy the ride
astrotec
8)

Offline first tarding uk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
jimmy lile first blood #16 also #16 rambo the mission and a few others...........