Author Topic: Bezel Tuning  (Read 3672 times)

Offline ArsMachina

• View Profile
Bezel Tuning
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:45:09 PM »
Since I started to get interested for flashlights some years ago, my main interest was in small custom EDC lights.
My first "bigger" light was a Mr.X and I still love its throw.
For a long time I refused to get interested for multiple LED lights but this changed rapidly some days ago ;)
For me the best looking ever produced light is the Super Flashlight III
And then Mac did a triple mod of this light he added true brightness to the best looking light :)
This unique piece was sold to a guy in Germany and I never thought it could ever come back to the market.
But I was wrong and some days ago, when I fortunately was awake very long in the night, this beauty was offered for sale at several forums and I was quick enough to snug it up :)
When it arrived at my house I was very impressed by Mac's work and the power of three LEDs.
But one thing  wasn't 100% perfect for me from the very first look I had on it - the reflectors were partially covered by the bezel.
So today I took the bezel at my lathe and spun it up, here you can see the result:

And as I also got a Sceptre, where the reflectors were also covered a little bit, I did the same on this beauty:

For now I am totally hooked for the poweful big lights :)

Jochen

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Re: Bezel Tuning
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:32 AM »
Nice job, Jochen!  :-[

Cheers,
///rā'gən·täg

Offline cmacclel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:10:05 AM »
Good Job! I usually like to keep the outside light fully anodized unless of course if the head is fluted or finned. Did you see any output difference?

Mac

Offline ArsMachina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
Hello Mac,

sure I do not see any output difference, maybe one could see it with a meter but not with ones eyes.
My intention to do it was only because of the look, I don't like partly covered reflectors too much...

At the SF III the ring with no annodisation is just 1mm thick and I highly polished it.
Even when you look very closely you will not realize it.
Similar with the Sceptre, the polished part does look very like the pewter annodisation.

Jochen