Author Topic: TiCub II Production & Payment List  (Read 127812 times)

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
TiCub II Production & Payment List
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
THE LIST IS NOW CLOSED
*********************************************************************************

UPDATE 9-11-08

List moved up here for easier viewing and updating:

1- 15. be.irenic                  Plain PAID IN FULL
2- 9. dmdrewitt                  Plain PAID IN FULL
3- 10. dmdrewitt                Plain PAID IN FULL
4- 18. Dog Chaser              Plain PAID IN FULL
5- 45. Hodsta                    Slots PAID IN FULL
6- 13. EricMack                  Plain PAID IN FULL
7- 14. EricMack                 Slots payment enroute
8- 23. aikiman44                Plain PAID IN FULL
9- 24. lumenator                Plain PAID IN FULL
10- 40. lumenator              Plain PAID IN FULL
11- 7. JeffN                      Plain PAID IN FULL
12- 8. JeffN                      Plain PAID IN FULL
13- 57. k9gwb                   Slots PAID IN FULL
14- 5. regentag                 Plain PAID IN FULL
15- 42. Kenster                 Plain PAID IN FULL
16- 43. Kenster                 Plain PAID IN FULL
17- 4. Karl                        Plain PAID IN FULL
18- 29. tdurand                 Slots PAID IN FULL
19- 30. tdurand                 Plain PAID IN FULL
20- 32. greenstuffs            Plain PAID IN FULL
21- 37. analogguy              Plain PAID IN FULL
22- 11. flashgreenie           Plain PAID IN FULL
23- 46. Sharpy                  Plain PAID IN FULL
24- 2. arewethereyetdad    Plain PAID IN FULL
25- 34. arewethereyetdad   Plain PAID IN FULL
26- 3. griff                       Plain PAID IN FULL
27- 35. mikego                  Slots PAID IN FULL
28- 16. js16301                 Plain PAID IN FULL
29- 36. starfiretoo             Slots PAID IN FULL
30- 53. Mike75                  Plain PAID IN FULL
31- 44. chip willis               Plain PAID IN FULL
32- 35. mikego                  Slots PAID IN FULL
34- 47. Donn                     Plain PAID IN FULL
35- 27. Chief-Yeah             Plain PAID IN FULL
36- xx. Chago                   Slots PAID IN FULL
37- 55. bf2                       Plain PAID IN FULL
38- 33. Fishman                 Plain PAID IN FULL
39- xx. London Lad             Plain PAID IN FULL
40- xx. London Lad             Plain PAID IN FULL
41- 19. Freyth                   Plain PAID IN FULL
42- 20. Freyth                   Plain PAID IN FULL
43- xx. senorcosas             Slots PAID IN FULL
44- 48. LouRoy                  Plain PAID IN FULL

33- xx. half-watt               Plain
45- xx. half-watt               Slots

UPDATE 6-29-08

The only option will be trit slots on either side of the switch.  The list has been updated for those who have posted a clear preference since the picture post of June 22nd.  Slots = 2 trit slots, Plain = no slots.  If you have not posted a slot preference since June 22nd, please do so now.

UPDATE 9-17-08

Latest progress -

Pre-assembly:

Doesn't the new Control Module design look absolutely high-tech?

Up Close:

Closer:

Done (but they still all gotta be put through their paces and tested and stuff):

Yep, Royal Blue silicone buttons this (one last) time.

As always, your kind patience is appreciated.  They's a-comin'...:evil6:

UPDATE 6-22-08:

The anticipation is over (regarding the aluminum proto, anyway):

Here's a side view of it just after being built:

A view of it from the other (non-switch) side:

Turned on to its lowest (ultra-low) setting - you can actually stare directly at the SSC P4 without squinting, just right for those late night trips to the 'loo:

And here it is at its brightest level, overwhelming any attempts from my auto point-and-shoot camera to compensate:

Outside standing next to its original Cub brother:

Back view of the pair:

End view:

Here you can see the significantly wider bezel at nearly 20mm across, or just about matching the width of the reflector:

I am now sourcing a 1mm thick metric o-ring (visible just above the reflector of the prototype) in order to bring up the lip of the reflector as close as possible to the bezel opening for MPPE (Maximum Photon Particle Emission), although it must be said that it would still not match the output of the more focused concentration from the beam pattern produced by the MR reflector in the Dragon series.  But then again, due to interchangeable components between all MR Bulk lights from the LionCub forward (and the longer LionHeart battery tubes would fit as well), even the much larger Mag-reflector-based Lion Head for a true spotlight-style beam that can throw up to several hundred yards (available separately from MR Bulk) will spin right onto the Ti-Cub II in those situations where you need to scan the hillsides in search of a lost dog or something.

Some final thoughts - there will be no serializing, and the paw print design that will be engraved on the buttcap is undergoing finalizing.

Also I think it's nicer lookin' without any trit slots at all, don't you?

Probably a couple of minor tweaks as I test drive and fine tune the Ti-Cub II proto, and then the CNC cutting process shall begin on them virgin Titanium rods waiting at the machine shop.

PS. with the DirectDrive Cub electronics the P4 is fiercely overdriven, and there will eventually be output degradation of the emitter if used  heavily.  However, all my lights are designed for easy LED replacement, both for this reason as well as to upgrade to an even better. brighter LED as technology marches inevitably forward.

************************************************************************************

UPDATE 6-6-08:

Just got an e-mail from the machine shop:

Do you have a name for this revised Lion Cub?  I need to save my programs and it would be nice to put the correct name on these so I can find them easier.

I am trying to finish the proto for you today.  They seem to mate together really nice.  I just need to get into the mill to machine the control module.   I will send you a picture today no matter what but I would rather ship you the light than just a picture.  There is a lot of work trying to make the sharp corner, if the tool is just a 0.001" off then there would be a sizable burr that sticks up.

I will talk to you a little later…don’t forget about e-mailing me the name so I can save the program specs correctly.

Chris

As fair warning I am considering shutting down the list already, making it a clean and neat total of fifty units and I will keep the balance to distribute at my discretion as there will not be any more Ti-Cubs after this limited run.

Thank you all kindly for your patience.

UPDATE 5-6-08

Looking good, Jeff.  :thumbup:

I feel like the odd man out, with only one on order though.

Hmmm... :thinking:

Ya know what Regs?  Ya got me thinking - some deposits have been coming in for more than the original quantities ordered and that is fine with me.  Also there are now a few people e-mailing and PM'ing me to get onto the list with deposit in hand.  I have not officially set a cut off date or anything, just that I would really prefer to keep it at fifty or less units total, and I just got off the phone with the CNC shop and we agreed to make it FIFTY Ti-Cub II's total and ONLY FIFTY, as most of us have no idea just how difficult and time-consuming and costly it really is to make even That many, so here's the deal -

This project will be cut off (hey, that's CUT-OFF!) at fifty units total.  I reserve the right to have a couple of extra units for my own use, for private dissemination, or to do with in however I see fit; however, the official quantity available shall be fifty Ti-Cub II's total.  Once the number of deposits matches this quantity I must cut it off, and going by the flurry of deposit activity thus far I do not anticipate that this will take very much longer.  I promise that the price will not exceed $599 regardless what other Ti lights have been sold for in the past, or are in fact selling for now.  The operating system will be in the original Cub style (dual dimming UIs plus the other features like switch lockout, auto-off, etc.) and that the LEDs used will be no less in brightness and output than the SSC P4's, although of course I also reserve the right to use Brighter LED's if such can be found that still work well in the tiny Cub configuration.

Lastly, I should have pictures up soon, possibly today, showing the final external configuration.  AND - after succumbing to both external pressures and internal ones (of offering the best looking Cub ever with truly "seamless" joints), IT WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE NO BODY GROOVES...

*EDIT

Okay, final picture:

Keep in mind that there will still be the switch hole added, as well as the trit slots (one on either side) for those who want them.

*************************************************************************************

UPDATE 5-4-08:

The FIRST DEPOSIT (arbitrarily made in the sum of $175) has already arrived despite no final, Final, FINAL specs (drivetrain, etc.) yet being determined!

And so it shall be - to all loyal, faithful, dependable, dutiful, reliable, tried, trustworthy, unfaltering, unhesitating, unwavering, determined, intent, resolute, confirmed, dyed-in-the-wool, inveterate, sworn, ardent, fervent, impassioned and overintoxicated BulkAlumni and soon-to-be's on the Ti-Cub II list: I need to know, for certain, exactly how many will ever be made (no more TiCubs after this run, matter all manner of pleading, groveling, flattery, kneed pads, etc.  as I really need to move on since technology and new flashlight designs march ever forward...) and shall build and send these last Ti-Cubs in order of dates of deposits received, which shall be in the amount of $175 as already set via prior precedence (see list below).

**********************************************************************************

Latest pics as of 5-1-08:

I will likely lose that last groove line near the bottom, otherwise all joints will be "seamless" - not visible.

The sole "option" I will most likely offer is whether ya wants trit slots, er not.

*********************************************************************************

UPDATE 4-24-08

Well okay, here be the pix, two different versions - the first three being various views of my preferred setup; please note that we intend to make the joints as "seamless" lookin' as possible, although to make them perfectly seamless would mean leaving the joint edges as sharp as possible which could present some liabilities for the more hand-coordination-challenged among us (like getting cut when screwin' it together, etc.):

And here is another take, although going a bit *too* far in the Coke bottle-ish direction, I think:

But again, try to imagine these bodies as being single little seamless, smooth columns, all sporting semi-matte "machine shop" finishes, all vying for induction into the Smithsonian Museum of Modern Art...or not.

***********************************************************************************

UPDATE 4-21-08:

Time to update with some fresh information -

First off, there will be a non-refundable deposit required fairly soon.

Second, after the experience of building all of them Al and Brass and now Stainless Dragons recently, I am not enthused with making a whole big bunch of these and may need to limit the project to a lower overall quantity.  Requiring a larger deposit and/or raising the selling price might pare the project down to a more manageable size.  As vicious and hardnosed as this strategy may appear, in every project I have ever made there have been dropouts along the way, and it would be better to have them occur earlier than later, helps the cost planning as economies of scale (or lack thereof) come into play.

Of course as has been demonstrated in the past with MR Bulk lights, this does not exactly hurt the resale value and scarcity factor of the product, attributes generally regarded as desirable in arenas of custom implements.

Third, I am not decided as to what light dispersal pattern to incorporate as some have expressed that a more diffused beam could be of greater all-around usefulness in a smaller light (the smaller the reflector the lesser the ultimate "throw" anyway).

Fourth, the tried-and-true Cub electronics with dual UI's (including smooth-scroll output intensity variation and noticeably dimmer "Low" brightness setting), pushing its direct-drive current through a Seoul Semiconductor P4, shall be the standard drivetrain system.

Fifth, trit slots can of course be milled although the tritium vials themselves, as with the DragonHearts, may have to be procured independently of Bulkware™ by each end user.  But i would like to see it all done one way, all the various order iterations of the Dragons contributed much to my reluctance to make too many lights.

Questions, comments, complaints?  Of course there is the distinct possibility that complainers will be the first ones stricken from the priority list...:evil6:

************************************************************************************

Welcome to the *Official* TiCub II commitment thread.  Per Mr. Bulk’s request, the list only includes those who were on the TiCub II interest list in EricMack’s thread, then confirmed their agreement to the proposed price of $550 per light after Mr. B.’s post on November 10 (Reply #180).

Note that, due to this request, quite a few folks who expressed an interest since the TiCub II run was first proposed on September 15 are no longer on the *Official* list.

As in all things, there are some stipulations.  Right now, they are:

1. The price may change depending on the price of titanium or any other factors encountered during the final design and build process.
2. There is no guarantee the run will even be made – keep thinking good thoughts.
3. At some point a mandatory deposit will be requested.
4. Expressing interest and commitment and getting on the list does not guarantee you will get a TiCub II.  The final number to be produced will be decided by the Supreme Galactic Commander.
5. There is no guarantee the TiCub II will be the same as the original.  As EM put it so well, this is a celebration of the original, and there *may* be one or more changes to differentiate it (logo, trit slot, knurling, etc).
6. There may be a limit of *one* light per person.

If you’re not on the list below and want to commit to a TiCub II for $550, post in this thread.  If you’re on the list and want off, post below or PM me.

The List (those from whom deposits have been received are listed in revised order according to deposit chronology):

$175 deposit PAID

LIST HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE TOP OF THIS POST FOR EASIER MANAGEMENT/VIEWING.

No response
12. JCompton
17. M_R
39. Groundhog66
41. Amorphous
49. BassMan
50. BassMan
52. freewheelin
54. locea
56. Yaesumofo
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:33:03 PM by MR Bulk »
Brass LC, Blk LC, Nat LC, Al LC x 3, Al Cham, Blk LH, Nat LH      SOON: TiCubII

Carpe noctem

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
Re: TiCub II Commitment List – MBSRP $550
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Reserved

Carpe noctem

Offline dirkp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
i want 2 of them if possible
The Earth Is Full - Go Home.

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:26:38 PM »
i want 2 of them if possible

So do I -- that's why we're both on the list twice.   ;)

Carpe noctem

Offline aikiman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
Please add me to the list.
I said I liked it.  I didn't say I wanted to kiss it.
 - In a Lonely Place

Offline JCompton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
...there *may* be one or more changes to differentiate it (logo, trit slot, knurling, etc)...

How likely is the Trit slot??? That would be awesome!!!  If Trit becomes an option, I want (at least) one!!!
FS: Krytox 50/50 Lube 5cc $15 Shipped 10cc $28 Shipped!  PM me for details or see my thread in the B/S/T

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »
Please add me to the list.

Done.  Welcome (back) to the group.

Carpe noctem

Offline wallyrulz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
Well I've been officially priced out  :thumbdown:

Offline lumenator

• Lumen crazy in a small form factor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
 :thumbup: I am in definitely :headbang:  :icon_cheers: Please make sure my name is on that list.I will accept any price changes on anything else that would keep me from getting a TiCub :thumbup: I would even prepay  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:51:29 PM by lumenator »

Offline herbsandspices

• Note to self: Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »
I didn't see the "confirmation post", but I'm still in. :thumbup:
john

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »
I didn't see the "confirmation post", but I'm still in. :thumbup:
john

You have to be quick.  That's why I always miss the McG floods.  :BangHead:

Carpe noctem

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
Floods... :laughing7:
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
Well, I do see my name on the list and I know I'm  not in need of reaffirming my interest but, what the Hell, why not?  ;)  I'm still "in"!!

Karl

Offline JeffN

• Hoosier Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »
Well, I do see my name on the list and I know I'm  not in need of reaffirming my interest but, what the Hell, why not?  ;)  I'm still "in"!!

Karl

:thumbup:

Carpe noctem

Offline ShortArc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »
I am in if there is still room :D