Author Topic: TranquillityBase Ti AA - *More* Updated Runtimes 8/24/07  (Read 28826 times)

Offline herbsandspices

• Note to self: Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
TranquillityBase Ti AA - *More* Updated Runtimes 8/24/07
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:37:23 PM »

*Background in homage to WP's old photos - where are you Donald?!?

TranquillityBase has succeeded in making a light like no other that I know of. Utilizing RV7's new driver board, which is driving a Seoul USV0I (mmmmm... SV0 tint...) being directed by a McR-20, this versatile and robust light is machined with the precision that we all know comes out of this fellow Wisconsinite. Here's Scott's initial description and discussion about the light, which shows more photos of the custom-made heatsink and the driver.

The light is bead blasted titanium, with Scott's well-known checkerboard grip pattern:

It's also got a partially knurled head and tail (McGizmo housing design, utilizing a McClicky switch), which makes this thing pretty darn hard to slip outta your hand!

The size of the 1AA tube and the dual-layer driver board make the light about 4 5/8" long - longer than your average 1x123 light, but shorter than your average 2x123 light. Here's a comparison photo with a couple other TB lights:

Left: TB 18650, A19 head (by Morelite)
Middle: TB Ti AA
Right: TB 1x123, A1 head

Notice the smooth bezel ring on the TB AA - very clean and cool looking.  :thumbsup:

The 4-level driver of this light is pretty incredible. The light operates as such: Momentary taps (or quickly clicking on-off-on) on the switch cycles through the levels 1-4. When you get to the level you want, stay there for momentary, or depress to keep it there. The next time you turn the light on, it will be in the mode you left it in. Pretty simple IMHO!

Runtime tests on levels 3 & 4, each with an Eneloop 2000mAh and a Sanyo 2700mAh:

Runtime tests on level 1 & 2, with a Sanyo 2700mAh:

And then a "big picture" runtime chart, of levels 1-4 with the Sanyo 2700:

Not bad, eh?? I had no idea it'd hold that bright for that long, off of one AA battery. :evil6:

Thanks to Scott for building this thing, from the ground up, and RV7, for making available such a great board! It makes me wonder why so many of my lights are 123-based, when this AA light can kick some serious butt! :woot:

john
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:36:22 PM by herbsandspices »

EricMack

Re: TB + Ti + AA = Some serious sweetness.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
If you hear any strange noises at night, don't worry about it and just go back to sleep, John. :evil6:

That is indeed, some serious Sweetness from TB.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the fine review, you lucky dog.  :thumbup:

Offline herbsandspices

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:16:14 PM »
If you hear any strange noises at night, don't worry about it and just go back to sleep, John. :evil6:

But you're a lot scarier looking than the boogie man!

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »
Da-yam!  That IS some sweet TB'ness ya got there, H&S!  Leave it to TB to do something cutting edge.  Outstanding, and super pics, too.  :thumbup:

TB

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:58:05 AM »
I haven't figured out how to repay John for the awesome review, but I surely will find something nice...

For all you FF'ers that haven't had the pleasure of meeting John in person, he's one damn nice guy 8), and he drinks real beers too, not the imitation watered down stuff...Just don't ask him if he wants a  :spam1: sammy with his beers :drool:

Offline herbsandspices

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 03:33:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Jack Black - check's in the mail. :P

Seriously, though - thanks for making the light in the first place, TB - it's friggin' awesome. :thumbup: And you don't owe me NOTHIN'!

john

Offline Chronos

• Life Is Good!
    • View Profile
    • Racer-X
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:46:31 AM »
That is a seriously stunning piece of art.  :thumbup:

If you ever decide that you wish to send it (gratis) to a stunningly handsome, intelligent, mild mannered and overall "nice guy" I'll be glad to provide you with my mailing address. If you decide to send it to a MAD man (Maladjusted, Antisocial, and just Darn mean), send it to EMack or Troy.
A few favorites from milkyspit, McGizmo, Surefire, MR Bulk and others

Here at Flashlight-Forums we put the "FUN" in "DYSFUNCTIONAL."

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:00:52 AM »
If you ever decide that you wish to send it (gratis) to a stunningly handsome, intelligent, mild mannered and overall "nice guy"

Blah blah blah.  BORing.   :yawn:

If you decide to send it to a MAD man (Maladjusted, Antisocial, and just Darn mean), send it to EMack or Troy.

Now that would be aLOT more fun for ya.  Send it to some nutcase like me or Eric.  :tongue1: :tongue3: :tongue4: :tard:

Offline Chronos

• Life Is Good!
    • View Profile
    • Racer-X
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:11:44 AM »
If you ever decide that you wish to send it (gratis) to a stunningly handsome, intelligent, mild mannered and overall "nice guy"

Blah blah blah.  BORing.   :yawn:

If you decide to send it to a MAD man (Maladjusted, Antisocial, and just Darn mean), send it to EMack or Troy.

Now that would be aLOT more fun for ya.  Send it to some nutcase like me or Eric.  :tongue1: :tongue3: :tongue4: :tard:
:pottytrain2:

Offline herbsandspices

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
Not that I want to interrupt Troy & Eric being made fun of :P, but I did a runtime test (updated above) on Level 2 last night... friggin' impressive!

EricMack

Re: TB + Ti + AA = Some serious sweetness. *Updated Runtimes*
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »
That is impressive.  Good thing the mailman brought me some sweetness today.  :D

Yo Chronodork:   :yawn: Keep callin' us names, and you won't need a 'roo sack by the end of SHOT. :shocked:

Offline herbsandspices

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
Good thing the mailman brought me some sweetness today.  :D

Pictures?!?

EricMack

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »
Pictures?!?

LOL, maybe tonight.  Got some TB Lego to play first.  :woot:

Looks alot like this though, with a NexGen 750 juicing a SSC USW0H.  Bright sucker.  :D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:57:02 PM by EricMack »

Offline Chronos

• Life Is Good!
    • View Profile
    • Racer-X
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »
Yo Chronodork:   :yawn: Keep callin' us names, and you won't need a 'roo sack by the end of SHOT. :shocked:

Sniff.  :'(

...And WOWZA! That light is so stunning. I mean it, Eric. Modern functional art.

EricMack

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:24:01 PM »
Sniff.  :'(

:rotflmao:  Now who's sensitive? :laughing7:

...And WOWZA! That light is so stunning. I mean it, Eric. Modern functional art.

Thanks  :thumbup:  It looks even better with its Ti TB body!  LEGO ala The Master of Sweetness! :snorting:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:26:53 PM by EricMack »