Author Topic: GatLight V2 UPGRADE Thread  (Read 29724 times)

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
GatLight V2 UPGRADE Thread
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:39:27 AM »
Please continue all GatLight V2 Upgrade Discussion in this thread

The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
Re: GatLight V2 UPGRADE Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:46:43 AM »
Whoo Hoo!  Allow me to be the first.  I love the V2 Gatlight!  :thumbup:  Good to have an information thread on it.

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
Hmmm, is this the one where you turn the endcap to vary the dimming?  Or is that the V3?
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline regentag

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »
Option 2 please... times three. :thumbup:

One door closes, another opens.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:55:04 PM by rëgentäg »
///rā'gən·täg

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:56:54 AM »
awesome - love the idea of the upgrade! 
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline mobile1

• GatLight PILA 168S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:12:23 PM »
Ok here are more details

Right now this thread is intended to be an interest thread. If there are not enough people interested in this idea than we probably cannot do it right now. However the next time we build V3 drivers we will fabricate more than needed so that they are available to V2 owners.

The costs shown below are estimates at this time. However the final cost should be within +/-15%.

Option 1:
We will take your V2 driver and add a premium bin SSC P4 led. Then we replace the variable brightness components with the same ones used on the V3. In essence this creates a hybrid module that is half V2 and half V3. We are not just fixing the V2 module we are replacing parts of it to make it more like the V3 module. This option does not require as much time as option 2 because we have most of the parts in stock.

Characteristics:
Optimized for Secondary (rechargeable) cells Outputs about 1000mA at full power. This module will not work very well with primaries because the voltage drop at load. The brightness adjustment starts at low and increases as the knob is turn CW. Because the brightness adjusts from 0-100% the user must confirm that the battery is disconnected when the light is in the off position, otherwise the battery will drain slowly.

Estimated Cost: ~$30 + shipping

Option 2:
We replace your V2 module with a V3 module. This option will make the V2 function the same way as the V3. This option will require more time because we will have to fabricate more circuit boards and other components.

Characteristics:
Optimized for primary (non-rechargeable) cells Outputs about 700mA at full power. This module will work fine well with rechargeable cells however the drive current will be between 1100 and 1200mA. This means that the light can only be used for short durations if rechargeable are used. The brightness adjustment starts at high and decreases as the knob is turn CW. Because the brightness adjusts from 100-0% the battery drain issue is not a problem. The user can easily see when the battery disconnects.

Estimated Cost: ~$50 + shipping

Sending lights back:
The reason we request that the lights be sent back is to ensure that the unit as a whole is functioning correctly. However we do understand the international shipping issues so we will take just the driver module but it is up to the user to install it and adjust the battery contact on the knob. We will make an instruction on how to install and adjust the light so that we can make it as easy on everyone as possible.

Drivers for other projects:
The reason we wanted only V2 owners to participate in this is because we do not have the ability right now to just sell the modules to anyone that wants one. The costs for this upgrade are purely our costs (no markup), if we were selling this driver for other uses the costs would have to be higher. With that said, if you participate in the upgrade there is not any way for us to regulate how the drivers are used, I’m sure some may end up in other projects.
The GatLight V3 - TAKING ORDERS NOW http://www.lumencraft.net/shop.htm

Offline zackhugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »
Interesting.  I'm glad my V2 will not be obsolete.  :thumbup:

Do you prefer that we specify interest in option#1 or #2.  I'm not totally sure at this point which I would want, but definitely one or the other.

Offline Amorphous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
Yeah..  :thumbup:

Option 2 Please

.                                            Paypal to:

2amorphous@gmail.com

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:02:43 PM »
option 2

and thanks for maiking this happen!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline DFiorentino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:14:31 AM »
Option two, por favor.

:hello:

-DF

Offline rmacias

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:27 AM »
I will take either option 1 or 2.

Hey, I can't be greedy something is better than nothing.  :thumbup:

RJM

Offline ArsMachina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:01 AM »
I'm in for two V2 upgrades as long as I do not need to send my lights back over the pond...

I would also like to have my three V1 modules upgraded with P4 LEDs.

Jochen

Offline fläshgreëniè

• Flashaholic
  • all your fatty cläms belong to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:26:21 AM »
Option 1 for me  :thumbup:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »

Ahh,

I'm on the Hunt for a V2 now!

I'd bet there's at least 25 people just in my little "corner of the world" that would apreciate the GATLIGHT contribution to the

Unique Flashlight World...

Funny how much room there is to GROW for the Custom light Community!!!

Let's Get It On   :thumbup:

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 05:27:04 PM »
Regarding option 2, would there be any use for the old circuit?  perhaps in some other mod?

:popcorn: