Author Topic: DIY Maglite c/d led quads @ 500+ lumens with Cree XRE and SSC P4's: lotsa pics!  (Read 22441 times)

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
3rdS- we will be waiting for the 3S Special!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline 3rd_shift

• Bedtime at sunrise! ;)
    • View Profile
I updated the 1st post with links to my other 2 how to's so that anyone can get to them from here.
Geo, you may unsticky those now to make some room for others. ;)

Edit: Added this important step to post #1.

The head needs to be secured so that it won't turn anymore and tear up the wiring inside.   :BangHead:
Drill an 1/8 hole about a quarter to a half inch in like this and put a metal plug in there that sits flush,
 or slightly below the top of the hole once inside.
This will jam the threads and stop the head from turning anymore. ;)

A 2D was used to demonstrate this step, but this works with all C/D Maglites that I know of.
Here is another picture with the head removed again. :P

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:51:02 PM by 3rd_shift »
plantruler@hotmail.com
is my email and paypal address. :)
Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight. ;)

Offline Aircraft800

• View Profile
I still hoping that someone posts some good resources to where I can find all of these parts. DX has some emitters, The Shoppe has some too, but noone has those fraen reflectors you talk about :'(

I need to gather all of my parts first.

Thanks!

Offline 3rd_shift

• Bedtime at sunrise! ;)
    • View Profile
cpf market place.
Or www.photonfanatic.com
Photonfanatic has the reflectors for SSC P4's.
These are plastic and ideal for Cree XRE's actually with minimal modification.
Just widen out thier bottoms with a small sharp tool for the Cree XRE's and put-em on bullseye dead centered. ;)
Don't forget to check in the group buys area for some excellent Cree XRE stars.
plantruler@hotmail.com

Offline gyssedk

• View Profile
i have a question for 3rd_shift, why dont you use the electronic boards for the power supply?

dont you loose a lot of energy in the resistor in the form of heat?

just me wondering?

Claus

Offline 3rd_shift

• Bedtime at sunrise! ;)
    • View Profile
I have used those and liked them.
In this case, the battery voltage was not much above the voltage needed by the led emitters.
Plus the batteries used (nimh D cells for the 6D, lithium ion, or even lithium 123 primaries for the 2c) have a fairly steady output during thier discharge for good runtime and excellent performance throughout it.
As such, a slight amount of resistance isn't much waste in this case.
Heck, in this case, a regulator board would have wasted as much, or more of the power than a simple and slight resistor would have on a well balanced circuit like this.

Also, MrBulk's Lionhearts and Lioncubs were really direct drive with thier pulse width modulated boards for good efficiency and good led whiteness tint consistency at all brightness levels.
I have liked those.

This project is really meant for those wanting maximum bang for thier buck with the least amount of Murphy's law to fight with. ;)
plantruler@hotmail.com

Offline nolan

• View Profile
I of course realize that this is an old thread, and it is quite likely that most people here already know this. But in case anyone doesn't know. 3RD shift passed on to whats next. I really liked the guy and I learned a lot from his posts. So I decided to add this here. I should have done way before now. RIP 3RD SHIFT :(

Offline p moore

• View Profile
But the light still burns!

Offline rera

• View Profile
Here is another video showing disassembly of an older pre 2001 2c Maglite.
It is different.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0088.MP4.flv

I can't see the video. Do I need a password?