Author Topic: Best AA/AAA charger?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
Best AA/AAA charger?
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
I'd like to pick up another charger.  I bought a 4 pack of Rayovac Hybrids but the included charger is a piece of junk.

Any suggestions?

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
Re: Best AA/AAA charger?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:19:01 PM »
I know there are those who would disagree, but I have has a La Crosse BC-900 for a couple of years now and it is great - use it every day...
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline TheBone4Sasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:21:23 AM »
I have had great success with my Maha C808M. It charges 8 cella at a time. In addition to AAs and AAA's it will also work on C and D size cells. Moreover you can mix differnt size cells and charge them all at the same time. A study I read comparing chargers (which convinced me to go with this one) indicated that it charged the cells at or very close to their rated capacity. It charges each cell individually and lets you know when each cell is done. It also gives you the option of rapid charging and a "soft charge". My understanding of this is that a soft charge is akin to filling a glass of with sand instead of gravel - you get a more complete charge and it will increase the life of your cells. It also has a "reconditioning function" but fortunatley I have not had to use it. Good luck. :thumbup:

Offline borealis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:59:05 AM »
Hi.

I would have to agree on the la Crosse or the Maha charger line.

I do have an afinity for the older Energizer universal chargers(4 aaa->D and 2x9v). About the only uni chargers that have a (always on) refresh, supports 2700mAh cells as well.

Some chargers (even new ones) do have annoying featrures that if and when the power goes out even for a second the charging time resets back to 0.

So if you have a 5 hours charger, are on the 4h59min and the power cuts..  You have every right to SCREAM.

Offline ZENGHOST

• View Profile
    • ZENGHOST.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
This brings up something that I've been wondering recently.  I currently have this Sony charger that I bought that came with 4AA batts I use in my flash.  I recently bought another flash and want to buy some more batteries--can I buy say something like these batteries?  I need the batts pretty much today so I can't go ordering anything and the Circuit City here has the Eneloops but are all out of the Sony brands that I wanted to buy.  I just know jack about rechargeables and have only ever used batteries with the chargers they come with.  I also like this particular charger because it has a "Refresh" button on it.  I may eventually order another one from Amazon but need it now.  Any help would be appreciated--just don't want to blow anything up by putting the wrong batts in.

ps...where would the best place be to find the Maha and La Crosse?
Darrent Williams R.I.P.
Damien Nash R.I.P.

Offline borealis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »
Abouna:

Also try the vanson 2299. Even comes with a travel charger adaptor.

Zenghost; As most would atest to.

Eneloops are a NI-MH rechargable that was developed to address the problem of rechargable batteries (including nimhs) of loosing thier charge while in storage for a long peroid time.

Eneloopss simply hold their charge longer that other nimh batteries.

Offline ZENGHOST

• View Profile
    • ZENGHOST.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:53:05 AM »
Abouna:

Also try the vanson 2299. Even comes with a travel charger adaptor.

Zenghost; As most would atest to.

Eneloops are a NI-MH rechargable that was developed to address the problem of rechargable batteries (including nimhs) of loosing thier charge while in storage for a long peroid time.

Eneloopss simply hold their charge longer that other nimh batteries.

Thanks, borealis--I bought an 8 pack of Eneloops today so we'll see.  So basically any rechargeable NiMHs can be charge in any NiMH charger?  I'll be using my current Sony charger to charge the Eneloops until I can look into the La Crosse or Maha chargers.
Darrent Williams R.I.P.
Damien Nash R.I.P.

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 02:26:47 AM »

Thanks, borealis--I bought an 8 pack of Eneloops today so we'll see.  So basically any rechargeable NiMHs can be charge in any NiMH charger?  I'll be using my current Sony charger to charge the Eneloops until I can look into the La Crosse or Maha chargers.

Zenghost

The Eneloops, while having a lower mAh rating are excellent.  Especially good for items that only get occasional use.  I have a couple SB-600s that I keep them in just for that reason. 

As for the chargers, yes any NiMh charger will do.  One caveat, slow chargers are better for the life of the batts, you will notice with your Sony charger (I have the same one, it pretty good) that the batts will get quite warm.  Strictly speaking this is not good, but it's a toss up, fast charging or longevity.