Author Topic: what's a good place to start  (Read 4665 times)

Offline rena

• View Profile
Re: what's a good place to start
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 03:21:59 AM »
That's a good way to begin, then "reverse engineer" to learn how the mod was done, and what you want to add to it.  There are six threads below this one in the Hotwire section concerning magmodding, one of which deals with the 2C cell unit you are looking at right now.  Look at 3rd_shift's thread for a LOW cost way to have a "user" light that is bright.  Not fancy, but useful.

If you have a metal-shop or access to one, you can measure out the diameters and lengths of the batteries you choose, once you know what light source you want to drive, and start to make the internals yourself.  Again, be careful that, for example, a great reflector in aluminum from FiveMega that can be bought for $25 doesn't cost you hundreds in equipment + your time until you get skilled enough to match his.  BTW, that FM reflector has the detachable extension for beam sizing, that took some practice to make it right every time.  Each item has to be decided on this type of evaluation:  raw materials/tool costs, time and skill to make, vs. buy.

You can safely use rechargable protected lithiums if you build a battery adapter with taps for each cell and bring them out into a multiprong female adapter and charge through the correct male plug.  LuxLuthor spent plenty of time working this out and has a tutorial on it at CPF.  So far, this is strictly a homebrew, and a good one in order to safely get the lower weight and higher energy density of Li cells, whether you choose more runtime, brighter light or less weight. 

You undoubtedly know the difference between a "user" and a "wow" light:  one is for real and the other is for show.  Have you decided which way you lean?  I prefer users, so I'm not keen on 4 minute runtimes and 4000 lumens from a 1 D M@g mod, and setting paper on fire.  My M@g85 does not get ridiculously hot, is powered by Sanyo Eneloops that hold their charge nicely, and goes for about 45 minutes steady.

I've gone on too long, as most of these ideas are already in print on FF and CPF.  A Google or other search engine will take you to any topic or better still builder...most reveal their secrets freely.

Happy hunting,

-HAK