Author Topic: Lightforce 240 Blitz + 400 watt Osram HLX 64663 + 36 volt battery = 16000 lumens  (Read 8174 times)

Offline Queenslander

• View Profile
Dear experimenters...

Based on other threads and best guesses, I put this configuration together yesterday for AUD$222.00 and was blown away last night with the results. It is the brightest thing I've ever seen and has a handy focusable beam.

Cost of project

AUD$145.00 Lightforce 240 blitz
AUD$ 17.00 400 watt Osram HLX 64663 bulb
AUD$ 60.00 Three 5 amp hour rechargeable batteries

+ a bit of wire and solder (free) to series up the three 12 volt batteries.

The bulb goes straight in with no modification necessary.

AUD$222.00 total cost and it rocks!!!

Total run time based on current and 5 ah battery capacity is about 25 minutes. It draws about 11 amps (400 watts divided by 36 volts = 11 amps)

WARNING - I guess it may all melt to pieces if left on for too long - I experienced no problems with five or ten minute run times though!

Lucky USA members can buy the lamps for even less here:

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewI...20HLX/item.html

Pre nightfall pictures

Nightfall... burning down the barn! (cubby house actually)

Unfortunately, I'm clouded in tonight so the pictures are a bit hazy - still you can discern the beam pattern through the mist (900mtrs ASL).

Low voltage garden lighting (tree fern).

Offline NAW

• View Profile
Hi Queenslander,  :)

I think you remember me from the other forum...

I think a comparison with another light would be interesting.  Its kind of hard to tell just exactly how bright this light is.

P.S. regarding the LarryK14 project you were mentioning on CPF...check out these links...

http://www.geocities.com/tigerhawkt3/lk12.htm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=135194&page=1&pp=30&highlight=aircraft

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=802217&postcount=93 (heres a different project (The Sleeper))

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
WOW!  Where can you get those Lightforce 240 blitz  lights?  never heard of them.

Great shots - I agree with NAW - comparison with a stock light on same camera settings would help.

Again WOW!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline NAW

• View Profile
I believe the LightForce 240 Blitz is a 100W Xenon HID (not Metal Halide) and has a 9.5 inch reflector.  Its meant to be run from a car.

Offline Queenslander

• View Profile
Hey NAW and Geologist

Here's the link to Lightforce

http://www.lightforce.com/

and the particular handheld unit I'm using

http://www.lightforce.net.au/handheld.html

and the HID 50 watt vehicle based light that they also make called "240 HID"

http://www.lightforce.net.au/driving.html (apparently you can screw a hammer drill handle straight into it for hand held use but it is heavier and much more expensive AUD$1100 - still not a bad 50w HID light!!!

The much much cheaper stock handheld light I'm using comes with a 100 watt halogen globe and the base fits the new 400 watt globe perfectly.

Will work on the comparison shots...

Thanks for chiming in!

gk

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
gk, thanks for posting that.  You make it clear how anyone could do the same, and that is way cool!   

When you look at the Osram list of bulbs, how do you choose which ones to experiment with

Is there a way to re-rate them with higher voltage like you can do with Welch Allen bulbs? 

Where is the best place to buy their bulbs?

Offline Queenslander

• View Profile
Dear Lux Luthor

Thanks for the post...

"When you look at the Osram list of bulbs, how do you choose which ones to experiment with?"

The base fitting is a primary factor unless you want to mod that too... the standard  fitting in this light uses a G6.35 (Glass 2-Pin) style base - so you can just search for all G6.35 bases and check out the results - using the voltage you're happy to work with.

"Is there a way to re-rate them with higher voltage like you can do with Welch Allen bulbs?"

I don't know... I need to research to understand this! 

"Where is the best place to buy their bulbs?"

Do you mean Welch Allen bulbs?  - not sure where to buy 'em.

If you mean the bulb I used - in the USA for $5 at http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewI...20HLX/item.html or in Australia I bought mine for AUD$17 from a bloke called Tony at www.pro-lamps.com.au in Brisbane QLD (he was a really good bloke and very helpful).

Keep rocking!!!

gk

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
OK thanks!  Yeah, I was asking about the Osram bulbs.

Here is what I mean with WA bulbs being able to change the voltage in the URL address and refreshing page.  In this example, you would manually change the "V2=12.76" and/or current "L2=2.076" of this WA-1166 bulb's URL & refresh URL link to see changes.  It also re-rates the hours predicted at this higher voltage.

Code: [Select]
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/rerate.tpl?action=rerate&V2=12.76&L2=2.07602320220866&adj=5&partnumber=01166-U
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:57:06 PM by LuxLuthor »

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
The WA site is pretty cool that you can do that.  Never saw that before!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline andrewwynn

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • MiniMighty Page
great mod, i was planning on testing the '663 with 3xSLA for proof-of-concept.. i want to overdrive one to 39V.. the '16000L' is bulb lumen and if it holds 36V at the lamp (not to diminish the fact this is an awesome monster, great job on such a simple mod!)..

fortunately the low amperage really is nice as far as getting vLamp close to vBat.. and probably can hold 35.5vLamp for a good part of the run.. that works out to 15.2/9.9 kLumen.. (bulb/torch).. with that big reflector it will be an absolute stunner.

running at 39V (if the lamp will take it).. the output jumps to 21.2/13.8 kLumen. (takes 33x NIMH cells to pull that off) (or 11S LIPO)... the problem is not blowing the lamp from the spike up to 46.2V from a fresh charge, leading back to the wonderful simplicity of this solution, not over-driving the lamp so it won't blow with fresh batteries, I love it.

-awr
Regulated hotwire driver. click here now for the Surefire M6
3-level high-power LED drop-in for mag. click here (coming soon)

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
great mod, i was planning on testing the '663 with 3xSLA for proof-of-concept.. i want to overdrive one to 39V.. the '16000L' is bulb lumen and if it holds 36V at the lamp (not to diminish the fact this is an awesome monster, great job on such a simple mod!)..

fortunately the low amperage really is nice as far as getting vLamp close to vBat.. and probably can hold 35.5vLamp for a good part of the run.. that works out to 15.2/9.9 kLumen.. (bulb/torch).. with that big reflector it will be an absolute stunner.

running at 39V (if the lamp will take it).. the output jumps to 21.2/13.8 kLumen. (takes 33x NIMH cells to pull that off) (or 11S LIPO)... the problem is not blowing the lamp from the spike up to 46.2V from a fresh charge, leading back to the wonderful simplicity of this solution, not over-driving the lamp so it won't blow with fresh batteries, I love it.

-awr

What is involved in just setting up a soft start so you avoid the initial voltage spike on startup?  I know that is a part of the HD, but I'm just asking in a general way...like in this light for example.

Offline catman

• View Profile
You can also use a milwaukee v28 lithium-ion battery pack plus 3 more of the emoli batterys in series. Total battery weight should be about 2lb. Starting voltage about 42v. Bulb should handle this as 25% overdrive is 45v. I have been using v28 pack with 64655bulb(24v 250watt 10000 lumens). I let my batt rest a little but may try hot off charger,starting volts 29.1-29.3volts. These are overdriven hotwires. Runtime on either one is about 15min. I have 2 chargers,one for the pack&one for the 3 xtra cells. You gave me the idea so thanks a lot. The 24v is awesome, my 36v bulbs should be here today. Can hardly wait.