Author Topic: Xeray Shoot-out GE 35w vs DL-50 FatBoy vs DL-50 SkinnyBoy  (Read 14439 times)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
Xeray Shoot-out GE 35w vs DL-50 FatBoy vs DL-50 SkinnyBoy
« on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
More to come, but instead of waiting I'll post some raw data...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

All shots full Manual Camera Controlls

Rotating Focus on Xeray marked and locked for each shot

Barn Burner Vs Xeray 50w  GE35w

Xeray 50w    Bulb Rotation   DL-50 Fatboy  vs  GE35W  vs  DL-50 Skinny

Barn Burner Vs Xeray 50w  GE35w    with a .5 sec exposer step-down

Cheers

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:51:07 PM by Lips »
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline NAW

• View Profile
Re: Xeray Shoot-out GE 35w vs DL-50 FatBoy vs DL-50 SkinnyBoy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:29:27 PM »
Lately I been trying my best not to acquire a BarnBurner & then you post these beamshots.  :-[

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
I think I saw Moses standing off to the side of that bush.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
Added 3 compulations to end of 1st post!
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
Lips, all your shots just RULE!   But those GIF comparisons are sooooo incredibly useful and easy to see the impact.  REALLY EXCELLENT WORK!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Offline NAW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
Those Xeray units are sure nice lights.

I like the overall similarites it has with the Rayzor products. 

Offline NAW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 05:41:48 AM »
For those of you who own the 50 Watter or the BB, hows the beam itself?  Is it ringy?  Is the beam even or sort of deformed?

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:46:07 AM »
Lips, all your shots just RULE!   But those GIF comparisons are sooooo incredibly useful and easy to see the impact.  REALLY EXCELLENT WORK!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

yea, where did you ever get that idea? :)
nemul

Offline rena

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 12:01:09 AM »
Dear NAW,

On my 75 w Barnburner, the beam looks a little "hot" at the center, with smooth margins when pointed more than about 25 feet away, but the bezel rotates to adjust this for personal preference.  Closer in, the edges are slightly irregular.

In use, it is easy on the eyes, especially my older ones that don't dark adapt well.  This is my outdoor EDC!!  Great for walking on a suburban sidewalk, as well as hiking.

For the throw testing I did a few months ago, the tightest spot beam is visually smooth beyond about 100 feet, out to GOK what distance.  My tests stopped at about 300 yards.  The pictures are not very good, due to the "learning curve", and being very low on it.

You know that you need one, so just reduce your stress and find out how to do it.

Enjoy,

HAK

Offline NAW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »
Dear NAW,

On my 75 w Barnburner, the beam looks a little "hot" at the center, with smooth margins when pointed more than about 25 feet away, but the bezel rotates to adjust this for personal preference.  Closer in, the edges are slightly irregular.

In use, it is easy on the eyes, especially my older ones that don't dark adapt well.  This is my outdoor EDC!!  Great for walking on a suburban sidewalk, as well as hiking.

For the throw testing I did a few months ago, the tightest spot beam is visually smooth beyond about 100 feet, out to GOK what distance.  My tests stopped at about 300 yards.  The pictures are not very good, due to the "learning curve", and being very low on it.

You know that you need one, so just reduce your stress and find out how to do it.

Enjoy,

HAK

Thanks Rena (Frogs3) for the information.  Out of curiousity, when tightly focused, are you able to see the shadow of the return wire in the beam?

I defientley need to get this light.  I'm planning on selling my old bb rifle & one of my lights to get this monster. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:39:47 AM by NAW »

Offline rena

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 01:59:12 AM »
Dear NAW,

I just took the BB outside to look for the return wire shadow:  if I looked carefully on a smooth surface like the blacktop on the street it was faintly visible.  On grass, close up (15 feet), yes; at 75 feet (to my across-the-street neighbor's grass) not visible.  On uneven objects like trees, houses sided in stone, beyond about 25 feet it was barely detectable, and only if I turned the light clockwise and ccw while concentrating on the edge of the beam.  On a white wall indoors at 6 feet, it was easily seen.

The fact that I had to go test for it suggests that it doesn't degrade the image when in use, as I never really noticed it either way before.  On my X990, it is clearly seen even at a long distance --don't have to check.

BTW, I had a ball in front of the house pointing the BB everywhere that I thought it would not annoy someone while checking that beam.  It just has that effect on me.

Good luck,

HAK

Offline LuxLuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 06:58:36 AM »
I think it was Lips who showed a picture of how he carefully crushed some of that brown insulation ceramic material on the wire to improve the beam.  Like you said, it is possible to focus it different ways so the beam artifacts and wire shadow are resolved for all practical purposes.

Offline windstrings

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »
Differences shown become much more obvious when you have some serious distance.
Moisture in the air, particles and dispersion really sucks away the lumens at a distance...

Many lights look identical if not very close to the same with closeup shots but when shot in the distance it becomes obvious which one has the upper hand.
The Second Mouse gets the cheese

Offline Patriot36

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »
Great comparison pics Lips, as always.   It's obvious to me why the fat boy is favored, especially over 50W.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

Post off a Head-Light Forum with some nice info on the 35w and DL-50's:   For the Hommies   ;)

Dunc01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
^^^haha. This is going to be long, but worth the read if you're considering these. Lumens on the newer DL-50/740 is 50% at 1500 hours, The older style DL-50 is 50% at 3,000 hours and 70% of original output at 2000 hours. The old style has much better lumens maintenance than the newer current model. The new /740 produces 5700 lumens when new so 2850 lumens after 1500 hours of use. The older one produces 5300 lumens when new so 3700 lumens after 2000 hours of use and 2650 lumens after 3000 hours of use. The older bulb has double the performance life of the newer /740 version. The newer bulb has a 3850K color, the older bulb a 3900K color. Philips 85122 or 22+ bulbs will loose lumens somewhat faster when driven at 50 watts than either of the 2 versions of Philips true 50 watt bulbs. Additional info not on the other post: When a 85122 is driven at 35 watts lumens maintenance is 75% at 1500 hours, that is 2400 lumens at 1500 hours. I would say it is time to replace it for 35 watt operation no later than 1500 hours and even better at 1000 hours for good output performance. At 50 watts bulb input 500 to 750 hours for good output performance using the 85122. The problem is that both versions of the Philips 50 watt bulbs typically sell for about 3X to 4X as much $$ as the 85122. In light of this you could replace your very available 85122 every 500 hours of use and still be okay the cost compared to the true 50 watt bulbs. The older style Philips 50 watt bulb is a better performer for 2000 hours though and you can install it and forget it. I would replace the /740 newer version every 1000 hours for good performance. The Asian made bulbs will not perform close to these Philips numbers when new and the output will degrade much more quickly from there. I would guess that the Asian made bulbs either 35 watt or claimed 50/55 watt need to be replaces every 100-250 hours to maintain output performance. These bulbs are not a very good choice when a new Philips 85122 can easily be purchased for about $40. One ebay seller is selling 2 new Philips D2S 85122 for $75 delivered for the pair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

parker_06601-06-2009, 09:35 PM
reason i ask there going in a modded r6 headlight. using infiniti fx35 projectors so the light wont scatter everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunc01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
reason i ask there going in a modded r6 headlight. using infiniti fx35 projectors so the light wont scatter everywhere. You could likely have issues with heat and having the chrome peeling off because of it. I say don't be a %@#&* and get some 70watt ones. Hook them up to your 35w bulbs and explode them into shards of glass. :lmao