Author Topic: 42,840 lux with Seoul P4 U bin and BBH  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
42,840 lux with Seoul P4 U bin and BBH
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »
Got my VIP's back from CM. TxxJ's removed and Seoul P4 U bins installed. Started out with the VIP set with a bias of 1 amp to the led, put on the 3" VIP BBH reflector, and did lux test at one meter with LM631 lightmeter and got 14,000 lux, with a do-nut hole. Beam was not focused at 1 meter, so I set up my tripod and took readings at 6 meters and got a reading of 1190 lux. Applied the inverse square law, so reading corrected for 1 meter was 42,840 lux.

Did bounce with lightmeter and reading showed same overall light output as a Surefire with a P90 LA when first turned on. The P90 is rated at 105 lumens by
Surefire, but the starting lumen output is much higher. After about 5-10 minutes the P90 LA settles down to what can be considered the 105 lumen rating, but the Seoul'ed VIP held is output, not dropping off. I guestimate that the Seoul'ed VIP at 1 amp to the led is outputting 150+ lumens. I have never had a single led light measure this high, even counting some high powered lux V's.

While this particular Seoul P4 U bin is very strong output wise, the BBH reflector really lets it shine. Otokoyamo designed this reflector and offered it for sale after Charlie (Mr Bulk) came out with the VIP. Some people are using this reflector on their Arcmania SF's.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:14:21 AM by Bullzeyebill »

Offline acusifu

• View Profile
Re: 43,840 lux with Seoul P4 U bin and BBH
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
That is some nice output from your light. Send it my way and I will test it against my non-modded VIP for a month or two.

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:06:29 PM »
Used word "bounce" in error in first paragraph.  Meant lux test at one meter.  Will correct.

Bill

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:12:51 AM »
Boy, you guys are sure non plussed.  I thought this was pretty exciting, and with a VIP reflector.   And fact that it so friggen bright, and brighter than a P90 at its maximum output.  Can't remember the last time a single led put out that much lux. :BangHead:

Bill

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
Re: 42,840 lux with Seoul P4 U bin and BBH
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:18:30 AM »
Sheesh Bill, this LED brightness race sure is getting insane...a good thing, of course!
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
Yeah Charlie, insane, but kinda fun too.  I wish I had measured the VIP with TxxJ on BBH, at 6 meters.  That setup showed a donut hole too, and measured 6-8000 lux, can't remember, and I know that at 6 meter's the beam would have collimated better, showing its true lux. 

Bill

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Impressive results Bill.  I've been out of the loop for a week or so.  It's very true, things are changing mighty fast!

I still don't have my Cree Q2's yet.  It'll probably all be over by the time I get them.  :'(

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 01:23:44 AM »
Yeah Charlie, insane, but kinda fun too.  I wish I had measured the VIP with TxxJ on BBH, at 6 meters.  That setup showed a donut hole too, and measured 6-8000 lux, can't remember, and I know that at 6 meter's the beam would have collimated better, showing its true lux. 

Bill

Whoa...!
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"