Author Topic: HID Lights (Photos & Talk) Helios - Rayzors - Xeray - Polarion - etc  (Read 45250 times)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net

HID Lights (Photos & Talk)  Helios - Rayzors - Xeray - Polarion - etc

Comparison Photos and Discussion Please 

Share your photos and thoughts...

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
Re: HID Lights (Photos & Talk) Helios - Rayzors - Xeray - Polarion - etc
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 06:03:56 PM »

RayzorLite Reflector and Bulb Shot

Helios Reflector and Bulb Shot

One thing to notice on this shot (thanks Larry) is how the Helios folks made the strike wire almost touching the bulb. They go the wire tight enough to where they have a supper tight hole in the reflector. That means more efficient and MORE lumens out the front end. Nice!

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
:popcorn: <--- let me get the popcorn out first 'cause I am sure I can learn more than I can add.  But here goes:

The only HID lamp that I have any direct experience with (at least until my Rayzorlite arrives), is an ACRO X990 pictured here (the one on the bottom) alongside one of the Rayzorlites (thanks Lips for an awesome photo):

For those of you have never handled an X990, here are some features:
1) 35 watt HID
2) 5" reflector
3) Beam can from focus from flood to spot
4) Unit can "tail-stand", and the head of the light can pivot 90 degrees.
5) Color temp is nice and warm - this is no blue-light special! :rotflmao: (I know I am laughing at my own joke)

The light is bright, and the price was right.  After PP fee ($25), delivery via USPS (another $30 insured), the actual light, and an extra battery, I paid right around $360 for the package with plastic storage case.  The case will hold the light, and extra battery, and the charger.  Aside from impressing your neighbors and boring the significant other, the light has a lot of PRACTICAL uses.  Due to the angled head and ability to table/floor stand, I have used the light a number of times to add additional lighting to work in the attic, the basement, or virtually anywhere you need to light up a room.  Of course the light is not perfect - there are many small things I would change - the light uses NiMH - you have to make sure your light is ready to go as NiMH have a higher rate of self discharge.  If the light had Li-IONs, it would be much lighter - but this might actually kill the whole tailstand ability which wins a lot of points in my book.  The light does not have hot-restrike either, but most of the time this hasn't proven to be an issue.  Lastly, the included charger is not universal voltage.  This is a pain, but I think I am soon to receive a charger that could charge the battery pack and leave the original charger up for sale (110V by the way). 

That is all I can think of right now - I know this light is not the "top of the line", but still a good basline light (that is very portable) to judge the "big boyz" from!

Geo
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline NAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:11:27 AM »
NAW reporting for his flashaholic duty,  8)

I know most people out there aren't interested in 24W but its the only HID light that I have (well soon I'll be getting a better one  :thumbup:)

Hope you guys like the pictures and thoughts though  ;)

Here is a picture of the front of the light... although it may be hard for some of you to see it has a SMO reflector.

Here is a picture of the light when its tuned on...as you can see by the color of the beam it has around 6000K color temperature.

Here is a small closet getting scorched by 1300 lumens  :o

The name of this light is the AE 24W Powerlight.  It puts out 1300 lumens for about 2 hours with several minutes to spare.  It weighs about 2-3Lbs and is bigger than my magcharger but thats not to bad for me.  With the SMO reflector it has rings in the beam that are pretty noticeable, but if you're shining on anything farther than 40-50 ft you probably won't notice it.  It has a 6 degree beam angle which means its a thrower more than flood light.  Word has it that there is a 1800 lumen bulb upgrade coming for this light soon and a instant on-ballast.  And speaking of ballasts I noticed with HID lights that people mention of hearing a techno sound when the ballast fires up.  This ballast is dead silent, you aren't going to hear anything when you fire it up.

So then now to conclude what I said in a different format...

PROS                                                                                                 
-hot re-strike                                                                                                                     
-small (well compared to the other higher watt HID lights)
-2 hour runtime
-only 4 hours recharge time

CONS
-8 second warm up time
-rings in the beam
-high Kelvin temperature(I think 5000K would be nice)

B.T.W. Lips I think that it was a great idea that you started this thread. 

So then that about it for me... so who will be the next person to step in and give beamshots and reviews  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:50:20 AM by NAW »

Offline Larry K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:07:38 AM »
Here is a few of mine, sorry about the photography, I'm not very good at it. From the bottom, Polarian Helios, RayzorLite and the XeRay BarnBurner, with there beams on the floor, Helios 40 watts, RayzorLite on low, 32 watts and the 75 watt BarnBurner. The other beam shots are in my workroom, they are the Helios at 40 watts the RayzorLite at 32 watts and the 75 watt BarnBurner. It's hard to see the three beams because they are somewhat blended together. The last shot is of the lowly incandescent LK14.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:20:24 AM by Larry K »

Offline NAW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:08:38 AM »
WOW! Those were great shots Larry!  Especially the shot with all the lights on the floor. 

To bad you can't get the Rayzorlite at 50W in the shootout.  I think thats the only problem with the Rayzorlite.  One click on boost gives 4 seconds or having to hold down the boost button for infinite 50W seems kind of annoying.  Out of curiosity is it easy to hold the Rayzorlite and hold down the boost button with only one hand at the same time?

B.T.W. does anybody know if they have to wait a minute to shut off there Razyorlite?  With my AE 24W HID it is recommend to leave it on for a minute to allow the halide salts in the arc tube to atomize.  Does that "leave it on for one minute" rule apply to the Rayzorlite as well?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:45:54 AM by NAW »

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 10:45:38 AM »
Larry K - nice shots - like seeing all three together for reference!

What kind of runtime are you getting on the Helios?
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline blahblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »
I took these primarily to show how major the difference is between 3 different watt-class HIDs.  It only includes the Helios on your list. 

As most of you know with LEDs, more watts = less lumens per watt.   I wanted to see how HIDs of different watt classes gave more lumens per watt as the lights increased in watt-class.

Here's the lineup:
10w DiveRite HID flashlight at 50L/W (500 lumens per mfg)
24w Darkbuster dive light at 75L/W (1750 lumens per mfg)
40w Helios at 100L/W (4000 lumens per mfg)

:mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:

Offline Larry K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:46:52 PM »
NAW, the RayzorLite is very easy to operate using the boost, it is a well thought out light that balances perfectly in your hand. It actually feels lighter than the Helios. Just not very easy to take beamshots in boost mode if your by yourself. I turn mine off and on all the time without waiting. I misplaced my owners manual, but I'm sure I read you can do instant re-strikes with it. Maybe LIPS will chime in and verify this. Geologist, Sorry, I never do runtime tests, most of my lights I just play around with. Here are the weights of the four lights using a very accurate scale. RayzorLite = 3.48 lbs. Helios = 3.02 lbs. BarnBurner = 4.56 lbs and the LK14 = 4.90 lbs.  

Offline the goods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 12:09:11 AM »
Is that the Helios giving these beamshots?

Offline blahblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »
Is that the Helios giving these beamshots?

Yes,  it's quite noticeable when white wall hunting, but I didn't really notice it outdoors.  I played w/ the light a bit and rotated it while it was on... The "V" notch seemed to be fluid (maybe melted solids) in the bulb.  If you rotate it, it flows.  These were taken when the light was fresh out of the box.  I think it's reduced now, but still there.
:mblah05: :mblah05: :mblah05:

Codeman

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 02:00:04 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:28:28 PM by Codeman »

Offline WAVE_PARTICLE

• Sweeet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 02:33:27 AM »
Well, here's my lineup (the only HIDs I have):

The red one is the Elephant HID.... a 10W HID but is boosted to about 14W, I believe.
The black one is the Rayzorlite ..... 32W HID with a 50W boost feature.

BEAMSHOTS:

Elephant on the left, Rayzorlite on the right (focussed):

Elephant on the left, Rayzorlite on the right (boosted to 50W, focussed):

I would like to add that the beam profile of the Ellie (when focussed) is a perfectly round hotspot with a nice spill.  Much prettier than the Rayzorlite.  Where the Rayzorlite wins is in the total output and overall throw.  Although for a 10W/14W HID, the Ellie holds her own quite well! :thumbup:

Oh yeah....I prefer the warm color temperature of the Rayzor's beam over the cooler temperature of the Ellie's beam.  Both great lights!!!  But I really, really, really love my Ellie!

Donald
I have a couple of shiny lights!

Offline nemul

• Flashaholic
  • ChamSeoul
    • View Profile
    • ::adam::
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:11:22 AM »
you rayzorlite beam looks smooth...  mine's screwed all the way down and is as focused as i can get it.. if a unscrew i get a donut hole
nemul

Offline WAVE_PARTICLE

• Sweeet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 03:14:09 AM »
you rayzorlite beam looks smooth...  mine's screwed all the way down and is as focused as i can get it.. if a unscrew i get a donut hole

Sounds like its time for you to open her up and adjust the height of your bulb.....
The Rayzorlite should be able to focus to a tight hotspot.

I have a couple of shiny lights!