Author Topic: Microfire K2000R Review  (Read 5583 times)

Offline cmacclel

• View Profile
Microfire K2000R Review
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »
I have aquired a MicroFire K2000R from a dealer for Evaluation. By next week I hope to run this light through the paces and supply beamshots comparisions with some well known lights.

- This is the brightest light for its size that I have come across to date
- Fit and finish is typical Microfire the Anodizing almost looks like paint.
- Beam quality is really great for an HID. It has a great spot and bright flood   which can be attributed to the beautiful textured reflector.
- The Charging system is unique I have never seen this design implemented before. You need to have the body switched to on for the charging system to work.
- It's a lot of light in a relatively small package.
- Warm up time to full brightness is a little slow at around 30 seconds to reach full brighness but within the first few seconds it's brighter than any production led light.
-Runtime Tested at 47 minutes(could increase with cycling)

Pros
-Small size
-Excellent beam mix between spot and flood excels at both
-Beam color is much more natural than the other 24 watt units available(much less purple)

Cons
-Bad charger design (need to apply weight on the top of the body to insure body sits snuggly into charging cradle
-Unit gets pretty warm after 15 minutes constant on. (Still hand holdable)
-Slow Slow Slow startup (30 seconds to full brightness) Brighter than any LED within 3-4 seconds.
-Finish could be improved (anodize looks more like paint)

All in all I would have to say this is the 24 watt light to have. Yes the startup is slow but its less than half the size of it's closest competitor the AeLight "Shorty".

The AeLight "Shorty" will out throw the K2000R by approximately 20% (guess) but the K2000R has a much more usable beam with a nice flood and still has a nice hotspot when you need throw. The color of the K2000R looks white compared to the AeLight "Shorty" which looks HID Purple.

Here are some nice detailed pictures of the unit.

Standard 2D size MagLite for size comparison

The Competion has arrived (Special thanks to rdh226)

Distance to sign is approximately 75 yards.

XeVision 50 watter

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:05:33 AM by cmacclel »

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
Re: Microfire K2000R Review
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »

Can't wait to get mine in!

10w                                24w

Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline the goods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »
I've got a K2000R coming soon too.   :D  Does anyone know what purpose that coating on the end of the bulb serves?  Some automobile HID bulbs have a coating like that on the end of the bulb to prevent glare, but I might want more glare from a flashlight.

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:52:38 AM »
I've got a K2000R coming soon too.   :D  Does anyone know what purpose that coating on the end of the bulb serves?  Some automobile HID bulbs have a coating like that on the end of the bulb to prevent glare, but I might want more glare from a flashlight.

I have an idea but last time I said something definitive about a bulb I got it wrong. I'll let someone else who knows more say...

TG,   If you don't mind me asking where did you get the k2000R from. (RR group buy?)

Only things I'm a little concerned with are the holes in the head and the slow warmup. Sounds like it gets a little warm but should for the size and the output appears great...
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »
Nice light for a small package!  THanks for the review Mac!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Manzerick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:49:07 AM »
I sitll can't get over how small this one is...

I hop Surefire comes out with one soon  :)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:17:45 AM »
My MF K2000R is in the Mail and on the way...

Hope it has the new head design...  as pictured HERE

A little worried about the holes in head and the 7000k colour temp of bulb...      pics to follow     8)

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »

Old Head Design (Macs Pic)  and that's a perrty good picture their Hoss    :tard:

New Head Design

My luck, I have the old head coming    :munky2:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:52 PM »

New unit arrived and it looks great.     :thumbup:     New head design also...

Some updates to Macs Unit:

Return Wire wire has been tightened closer to bulb and reflector hole is smaller compared to previous version for more output...  (maybe this feature is catching on!)

Although the color temperature is 6500k and on blue side this light has much less purple as Mac said and has a very usable beam with good throw.

Weight NO longer has to be applied to light while in charging stand (turn switch on for charging still)

Fins added to head should help allot with heat dissipation. No problems at 20 min run.

The light is smaller than pics depict and is a solid chunk of light... Handle is small, unit is more balanced than NextTorch Saint 10w to me.

Slow start up as described but a new battery design that is a little longer is designed to increase startup due out shortly.

Hot restrike was good.

Anodizing looked good to me but I don't know if this has changed...

Get the color temp down to 4500k and a little quicker strike and you have a home run. They really made some great improvements on this light in a short period of time. Must be listening to their customers   :thumbup:

Offline Eric242

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Aloha,

unfortunatelly the clicky of my K2000R broke. I just ordered a replacement but since the rechargeable does not have more than 20 cycles yet it should still be working except for the clicky. Something like a broken part seems to rattle around in the switch and if pressed, nothing happens anymore, no click, nothing.

Does anyone know how to open up that clicky or the rechargeable? All I could achive was to  remove the rubber cap and the red cap beneath it.

Then it looks like this, the part can be turned but thatīs all. I am not able to remove anything further.

Maybe you get to the clicky through the other end by removing the rechargeables from the body but I woulndīt know how to do that as well.

Eric

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
Eric

I had one of those batts and they didn't look easy to open up.

Hopefully it was under warranty  :P

Offline Eric242

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »
Maybe a big hammer might help opening ;)

Unfortunatelly I donīt have warrenty on this light because I snatched it on CPF from itīs first owner for a really great price. I already asked the german Microfire retailer about a repair but they are on holiday until the end of may. Hopefully they are able and willing to do the repair.

Eric

Offline chakrawal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 05:16:06 AM »
I just got mine 4days ago and want to know how long does it take to charge the battery? Mine only took 2 hours and the AC adapter output is 1.6A.