Author Topic: Defensive Living - Situation Awareness...  (Read 633 times)

Offline Safety1st

• View Profile
    • K9 Protection
Defensive Living - Situation Awareness...
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:53 PM »
If I may, i'll share with you a quick example...

Today, I had cause to meet someone at a mutually convenient location. It happened to be a lay-by/rest area off a busy road.

I parked my car in a line of cars in the lay-by, whilst the person I was meeting parked in front before getting into my car.

As we were talking, my 360 awareness was still in Amber mode (not often in green when out and about).... I glanced in my left door mirror and saw a male who appeared to have got out of his car further down the layby and appeared to be 'stretching his legs'..ie: walking up and down as though he had been on a long journey...

I didn't give him too much thought, as his actions were not out of the normal in those circumstances. However, I still paid him regular glances..

After about a minute, whilst still in deep conversation with my friend, my glance in the mirror saw him approaching my car on the left hand side, before walking about back and approaching my driver's door...

Now immediately in RED mode....

I clicked the 'lock' button near my gear stick which locks all 4 doors and seeing him standing alongside my car, hands in view and looking relaxed, I wound the window down about 4 inches. Enough for a polite conversation to take place, but not enough for him to make a grab at me or the inside door handle...

He explained that he was lost and asked directions. I gave him the briefest directions whilst also keeping an eye on the mirrors for any other persons... He thanked me and returned to his vehicle...

I didn't really think too much of what had happened until my friend in the car stated "How did you see him coming towards us so quickly and react with the door locks etc"?

I tried to explain the 'safety zone' and always being situationally aware etc, but I think my advice was falling on deaf ears...

A good lesson in always being 'switched on'...

Stay safe..

Gary

Codeman

Re: Defensive Living - Situation Awareness...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:41:48 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:49:13 PM by Codeman »

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
Gary, this will be submitted for "Sticky Thread."  Mods of this section, please sticky.

Offline Safety1st

• View Profile
    • K9 Protection
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:35:27 PM »
Thanks Troy... I hope to expand it, and go on to other examples and situations...