Author Topic: Finally got my Supernova HID  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
Finally got my Supernova HID
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:02:07 AM »
Well, finally... :)

The problem is that I did get it earlier, just that I have been SO buried in work that when I get home I just fall over after reading my email and forums and that I didn't have time to write reviews. Heck I don't even have time to take photos.

Now that things have somewhat settled, here are my first impressions of the Supernova. For those who don't already know, this is an impressive little 35W HID short-arc spotlight. Features in a nutshell: External battery pack worn on the belt (utility belt included even.. no fashion statement but very tough and robust leather belt.. and actually I like it better than the fashionable belts anyway!), or powered from a car, 12VDC nominal input and cig lighter plug included.

First up, one little observation. The Supernova is not as bright as other HIDs, even with the wattage. This I'm quite surprised, maybe I will go into it in more detail when I have time. In fact, in the ceiling bounce test I estimate it to be around 1K lumens, on par with a very bright ROP-high. It is definitely not as blindingly bright as my homebrew 35W HID built from automotive bulbs and a generic spotlight.

I do recall reading something about XSA's not being as bright in terms of absolute lumens, but they focus better and have other advantages. If I'm off track, someone correct me here.

The BEST part about the Supernova that I've never experienced before is INSTANT COLD STRIKE. I hit the button and *WHAM* I get boatloads of light JUST like the ROP (which, of course, is an incandescent - BIG difference!). Wow... now that is most definitely sweet! This is probably also how the Supernova achieves its 'strobe' mode, which is a true strobe that flashes around twice a second, on and off. Brilliant. And with a little dial on the side, you can focus from an ultra pinpoint type of beam, to a diffuse flood, with donut hole. You could probably put a secondary diffuser on it if you really hated the donut hole, but face it - this light is built for ultimate REACH. You want to launch a needle point of light into the sky - this light is for you. I figure this is the key advantage of XSAs, their ultra-tight focusing capability. I thought my 35W was tight, but the Supernova can be focused to the point where it has absolutely minimal spill, and concentrates everything into the beam, being a true spotlight.

And the best part about the seller is that Solomon is a true gentleman of integrity who has gone above and beyond to make good on his word. In a world of endless controversy, he stands out just like the product he is selling.. you can't get any better, period.  :thumbup: :thumbup:  if I'm making a $500 purchase, I want it to be from someone I can trust (same goes for other expensive hardware like glass tht I buy - probably moreso, glass can run into the 4-digit $ range). Maybe that's just me, but you can't place a price tag on goodwill or trust. :)

Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!
Home of the ROP - and my projects, lights, and collected info

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got my Supernova HID
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:59:40 AM »
Great info!  Especially the about the cold start and strobe!  Where can we find a photo? 

What is the advertised runtime?  Since is is using a 35w? bulb - I am assuming it is underdriven - what kind of batteries?  Li-ION?

Sorry for too many questions!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »
Those supernovas are hard to come by...

Met Solomon through the Rayzor shoot-out. He's a good guy and an Aussie too, you gotta love the Aussies.

I think the Supernova is a clone of the MaxBeam.  I thought they both used  75 watt bulbs though    :dontknow:

Be cool to see the beam differences between the two HID types...
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:15:30 AM »
The photos - the lazy ass photographer (me) has been, well, uhh, very lazy. ;)

Supernova photos are indeed hard to find, I did search for 'em, couldn't find many, and here's my chance.. well, I will get started shortly afterwards.

Not sure about the specifics of the bulbs though. But yeah, Aussies are cool :thumbup: I have worked with them before (on other things, many years ago) and they are good people.
Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 02:59:39 PM »
OK, here come the pics... I'm too tired to write stuff so I will just let the pics do the talking. :)

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 05:41:50 PM »
Cool!  And it appears to be an all-aluminum body (not plastic).  :thumbup:  Great case, too.  Bet ya can't wait to fire this badboy up!

Offline jinng

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:48:02 AM »
Thanks for posting the images.

1.  Could you let us know details regarding the dealer/seller (I may order one)
2.  Is the casing aluminium - it looks like "plastic"

Thanks

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 07:47:20 AM »
Cool pics LS!

Thanks for sharing!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »
Thanks :)  the photography has been steadily getting better since the washed out, poor images I posted when I first got involved with the lighting community. Better hardware yes, but better lighting technique (no pun intended) does play a part.

Not sure where my last post reply went to, but I meant to say that yes, the casing is aluminium and feels cold against my hand. Bought it from Solomon on candlepowerforums.com, I am not sure if he has a webpage because I contacted him directly through CPF and bought one. I think he is offering them for retail sale though, but check with him as I am really not sure where you can get one on the web.

The case was a surprise, I was expecting to receive just the spotlight, charger and battery pack, maybe a 12V cable. Imagine my surprise when it came with a nice padded case with foam inserts.. that would probably be AT LEAST $50-$80 extra value!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:16:20 AM by Lightstream »

Offline flashlight

• Flashaholic
  • Too many flashlights, not enough money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »
Better not wear than 'bomb-looking belt' anywhere like the MRT bro!  :o Hate to think of what would happen if the battery pack really does go :confused2: 
'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.'
Albert Einstein

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
Not sure where my last post reply went to, but I meant to say that yes, the casing is aluminium and feels cold against my hand.

I was referring to the casing of the flashlight itself (not the carrying case).  Is the flashlight itself (including the huge bezel) made of aluminum?

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:36 PM »
Yes, flashlight has a good point. I dislike the camo color (I have spent enough time at one of my 'workplaces' wearing that), and the beltpack could really inspire some odd looks or worse. I suppose one could put it in a backpack.

The things we have to put up with in the name of 'anti-terror'.. I bet the real evildoers are laughing at the inconvenience caused to us :(

I need a different battery pack for this otherwise very fine light.. something with a 12V cig lighter socket would be fine, then I can plug the cig lighter into it. Maybe I can get one of the modders to build one up for me. I'm thinking 3S2P lithium ion in a housing that could then be clipped underneath the light.

awtyd, et.al: yes, the light itself is aluminium. I took out a Leatherman and poked it to make sure it was.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:04:50 PM by Lightstream »

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
awtyd, et.al: yes, the light itself is aluminium. I took out a Leatherman and poked it to make sure it was.

Excellent!  Ah, the things Tim Leatherman never dreamed his tools would be used for.   :laughing7: :thumbup: