Author Topic: Please Help Me Find An Answering Machine That Will Call Out With The Message!  (Read 1708 times)

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
We have an answering machine at work that will call us when a message is left on it. It quit dialing out. This has resulted in my co-worker and I having to call in and retrieve messages at least every hour - from 8 am to 1 am. That's seventeen hours a day! And that time extends longer on the weekend, as we are on on call 24/7 every other week.

The bosses are willing to buy another machine. Problem is none of us can find one that will call a number with messages! We've checked BestBuy, Circuit City, Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, etc., all to no avail.

I'm going nuts from this. It's taxing me with stress and a lack of sleep (can't even catch naps during those times, at least for not more than an hour). Watching the clock is a real drag, too. Apparently Call Notes (which I'm told would do this) is not an option from the company's phone provider.

I don't know the brand of the existing machine, but am going to find out and contact the manufacturer. I may call all major manufacturers soon. Google searches are not helping, might be my poor search technique, or perhaps fatigue or both.

This has been going on for quite some time, and I can't take much more. I'll probaby get serious and change jobs if no resolution is found. It's bad enough being on call 24/7 every other week with no additional compensation, but calling in this way is like Chinese water torture.

Sorry to vent/whine/moan/b*tch/boo hoo poor little me. To cut to the chase: Anyone know where I should look to find one that will do this?
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
I'm an answering machine nut   :(

Motorola MD781
Motorola MD7091

both will message forward to a #          I have no experience with either unit though...

Many software based AM will email a .wav of the message another computer or cell phone...
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
Not sure if this helps, but have you considered an answering service ?  There are firms which are used commonly by service groups (and physicians). 

When we closed up for the day, we forwarded the phone to the answering service.  They screened the call (since only some customers had paid for the after hours support plan) and then paged the "on call" service person who was "on" that night.

I don't know how much it was, but it was not that expensive, and worked out very well.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
I used to have a Vodafone that did this (era of dual full size cassettes).  Not sure if they still make one - but you could always check the manuf. websites...
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
I'm an answering machine nut   :(

Motorola MD781
Motorola MD7091

both will message forward to a #          I have no experience with either unit though...

Many software based AM will email a .wav of the message another computer or cell phone...

Lips to the rescue!  Outstanding.   :thumbup:

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'll check into the Motorala models.

I don't know how much an answering service would cost. I'd have to try and get my frugal (kindest word I can muster) bosses to go for that.
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline Wingerr

• View Profile
My old Motorola 825 does call forwarding; it's a really handy feature that I haven't found on any current phones for some reason. 
Looks like Motorola's the only company that's thought of the feature; if mine ever breaks down, I'll be looking for another too-
I have it dialing my cell phone so I can tell when a call comes in without even using up a call from the home phone, since the caller ID shows the number-  I just don't pick up the call, and call back with the free minutes from my cell phone monthly allocation. Frugality optimization~ ;)

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
As I said previously, I had a Vodafone that did this, and Radio Shack also used to have a model that did this.

Back before most could afford to carry a cell phone (in the days of the bag phone), I used to have beeper that only beeped (no display or anything).  My machine would simply call the beeper number to alert me of the msg.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
Well thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm gonna file 'em away in case of future need.

So what happened with my situation? I'm not really sure. The machine started calling the cell with messages again. No explanation for this has been offered, and I haven't yet asked.

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
Hay Lips, great references!

And now Lips (sorry for the OT about to come up, Torchy),, have ya ever recorded a simple, "Hello?" and then had the caller (some of whom don't leave a message so you wonder who it was) spill their whole story, thereby identifying themselves?

I want to do that - all I'd need is a machine where you could eliminate the "beep" at the end of the outgoing message - any machine like that available?
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"