Author Topic: Texans to draft DE Mario Williams first! Aww, man!!  (Read 3867 times)

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
Texans to draft DE Mario Williams first! Aww, man!!
« on: April 29, 2006, 12:54:36 AM »
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2543

I'm sure not happy with this!  :'(  I know the guy is supposed to be a once in a decade DE, and that he's tall, strong, fast and athletic, with the wingspan of a condor, but sheesh!

I'm boycotting Texans games this year. Yeah, I may be wrong, I hope I am. Reggie Bush could be a bust, he could be too expensive for them, they could be concerned about the house scandal going on, I don't know, they must know something I don't.

Bottom line is I'm not happy at all with this choice. I'm guessing they are being cheap and like to lose. I know they are losers in my opinion right now, for doing this. Yeah, defense and the trenches win games, but oh man!  :rolleye: :'(
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
Re: Texans to draft DE Mario Williams first! Aww, man!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:34:42 AM »
Can't believe they're forgoing their chance for Reggie Bush.  I don't know it that's a good idea.

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:52:25 AM »
I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be a huge mistake. I wonder though, why are they skipping Bush? I did read a quote from Bush this week on how he likes NYC, and would love to play there. Also, in the Houston Chronicle, Bush is quoted as saying he would understand if Texans fans were upset that he (Bush) would be taken over hometown player Vince Young.

I seriously (as an armchair GM) question the Texans on this. I will not watch any games this year, save myself the misery.
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

ernsanada

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 03:23:07 AM »
I like Bush!   :D

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 03:29:06 AM »
Ernie.   :rolleye: :dontknow:

Seriously, maybe even Texas is sick of the name of Bush these days.   :laughing7:

ernsanada

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:32:18 AM »

Seriously, maybe even Texas is sick of the name of Bush these days.   :laughing7:

I mean't the fema.. kind   :D

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 03:39:00 AM »

I mean't the fema.. kind   :D

I know.  That's why you got the  :rolleye: icon.

Offline fore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 12:13:06 PM »
Wow.  I gotta agree with you guys, Bush seems like a no brainer.  If they did that because of the house thing that's just dumb...I hope Bush goes to the Jets!

Curtis Martin is one of my favorite players but that would be awesome. :woot:
that rug really tied the room together...

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »
Wow.  I gotta agree with you guys, Bush seems like a no brainer.  If they did that because of the house thing that's just dumb...I hope Bush goes to the Jets!

Curtis Martin is one of my favorite players but that would be awesome. :woot:

And one of the best Chris Bermanisms: Curtis "My Favorite" Martin.   :laughing7:

Offline changsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »
Seems like it woulda made more sense to trade down and try and get Williams with the 3rd or 4th pick...

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 04:20:55 PM »
Time is gonna tell, but now that it's official, I think the Texans just made a huge mistake.

EricMack

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 04:33:11 PM »
In 2-3 years, this move either looks brilliant, or the biggest boner ever.  Mostly up to Bush, and what kind of impact he has with NO.  I'm on the fence, as I truly believe Defense wins championships.  8)

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 04:38:12 PM »
On the subject of defenses winning championships: Baltimore won the Super Bowl with a sub-par offense on the strength of D. Indy, despite having the high powered O, has not even made it to the Super Bowl. So I think based on that and other examples, you are right. Mario Williams seems to have the tools, but there are question marks about his dominance in college. And, good backs can be had easier than good DEs.

I'm shocked Bush went to N.O. I wonder if the Jets or someone will still do a trade. Bush talked in an interview about loving NYC, and how nice it would be to play there. Thougth that was having something to do with the selection.

EricMack

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 04:53:48 PM »
On the subject of defenses winning championships: Baltimore won the Super Bowl with a sub-par offense on the strength of D. Indy, despite having the high powered O, has not even made it to the Super Bowl. So I think based on that and other examples, you are right. Mario Williams seems to have the tools, but there are question marks about his dominance in college. And, good backs can be had easier than good DEs.

I'm shocked Bush went to N.O. I wonder if the Jets or someone will still do a trade. Bush talked in an interview about loving NYC, and how nice it would be to play there. Thougth that was having something to do with the selection.
Well, now the Jets agree with us too.  Leinart is looking pretty bummed.  Kinda cold up there in Green Bay.  BTW, I would have taken VY over ML any day.  ;)

Offline ZENGHOST

• View Profile
    • ZENGHOST.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 10:19:22 PM »
I was surprised a little, but not because I thought it was a bad choice, I'm just surprised they had the balls to do it.  A couple of things stand out about this that gave a good indicator and a lot of it comes from Kubiak coming from the Shanahan school of thought.  The most obvious is that Kubiak intends to implement the same offense that he used as a Bronco.  This emphasizes the running "system" as opposed to the running back so it's not the player as much as it is the system.  Kubiak obviously believes that Davis can be at least a decent back and he might also pick up a running back late in the draft a la Shanahan.  Add to this that Bush isn't considered an every down back like the Broncos like.  The other thing that Shanahan emphasized is that defense wins championships and I hear that the scouts rated Bush as 1 point short of perfect and Williams 1 point short of Bush.  I've also read that DE's get paid much higher on average than running backs because they mean more to a team.  You are going to have much more trouble finding a high quality DE in free agency than you will a running back.  Case in point--look how heavily sought after John Abraham was in the free agency.  As TorchMan mentions, look at the past Superbowl winners.  Just this year the Steelers' defense defeated the league's MVP running back to win the superbowl.  You look at Baltimore's defense and Tampa's defense and even the Patriots defense was pretty strong.  Take a look at the league's best running backs--Tomlinson is said by some to be the best runner in the league and they didn't even make the playoffs and other than two years ago I don't think San Diego has been a real contender at all since they got LT (not to mention one of the best tight ends in the league).  You have Edgerrin James who is a great back and as mentioned Indy hasn't gone to a Superbowl with one of the premiere QB and WR tandems in the league.  The last thing I heard was that Bush was trying to jack up his price and that probably pushed Houston over the edge toward Williams.  He figured they'd never pass him up and lost a whole lot of money on it.

Now I'm the first one to say that the draft is never a lock so all this is speculation, but I'd guess that it's not as huge a mistake as people are making it out to be.  Time will tell, but frankly I think they're both going to do great in the NFL, but that Williams is the better football pick, while Bush was a better publicity pick.

It's always interesting being a Broncos fan on draft day because Shanahan is always willing to do some interesting things.  Didn't work out with Clarett in the 3rd round last year but I'm intrigued by the Cutler pick today and the trade for Javon Walker that just went through will give them Rod Smith, Walker, and Lelie with David Terrell as a 4th choice.  Lelie is likely on his way out, but if they keep all three that passing game will be interesting.  I would like to have gotten a DE, but that didn't happen and Lendale White in the 2nd round would've been interesting too, but I'm sure that Shanahan will be looking at both TE and RB later in the draft.  Probably pick up another safety, too.  Man I love football--can't wait for the season to start.
Darrent Williams R.I.P.
Damien Nash R.I.P.