Author Topic: Anyone try a U bin in Chameleon, yet.  (Read 14375 times)

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
Re: Anyone try a U bin in Chameleon, yet.
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2006, 09:55:32 PM »
I believe yes as mine did and still does the same with the UWOJ. Which still brings me to the point why do we need the H bin if these UXXJ are working so well? :)

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
Kenster, I would leave it alone.  My VIP BBH has a hole up close like that, but it disappears further out.  Sounds like your's is focused ok, what with that great lux figure.  The Chamelhead is great with your U bin.  I should get one of those heads.

Bill

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2006, 01:52:25 AM »
I believe yes as mine did and still does the same with the UWOJ. Which still brings me to the point why do we need the H bin if these UXXJ are working so well? :)

I got lucky with my UX0J and it has a very low vf for a J binned emitter. I haven`t run it at the higher levels very long either. It still could go up in a puff of smoke if I push it. :dontknow: But I wanted to try it and I did. :P I plan on staying with table 3 to use it. Hopefully it will keep on working for a long time that way.  :thumbup: If not it was "my bad" for not listening to the warnings given us about doing this. ;)

Thanks for the reflector advise.  :thumbup: I believe I will leave it alone. For now anyway. :laughing7:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:55:41 AM by Kenster »

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2006, 02:06:58 AM »
I don't even know if there is such a thing as a U bin with an H vf.  I know that one of my T--H Chammies is an overachiever, and might be close to a good U bin in output.

Bill

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2006, 02:27:02 AM »
There is such a thing as UxxH. But good luck getting your hands on one. :rolleye: The vf on my UX0J is so low it is almost a UX0H bin. :P

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »
Perhaps I was lucky also. But I have been running mine for weeks with no problems I ahve several more of the UWOJ's in reserve but do not expect an issue.

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »
Perhaps I was lucky also. But I have been running mine for weeks with no problems I ahve several more of the UWOJ's in reserve but do not expect an issue.

Just as a note, it's not likely the star will "blow" if this modification overstresses the circuit.  I believe the switcher on the board is what will fail, as it's the board, that is being driven the most overspec, not the star.

Keep up the great work!  :thumbup:

Dave
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2006, 01:24:47 PM »
Thanks. I know the board is the issue, but I suspect it was designed to handle the small amount we are discussing here. Hopefully we here from the design team with some input. If so I suspect a run on UXXJ's based on what Kenster has reported and I have seen. My extra are for the LionHeart and Dammy. ;)

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2006, 01:54:52 PM »
Thanks. I know the board is the issue, but I suspect it was designed to handle the small amount we are discussing here. Hopefully we here from the design team with some input. If so I suspect a run on UXXJ's based on what Kenster has reported and I have seen. My extra are for the LionHeart and Dammy. ;)

Well, I too hope you are correct.  :D  There is one small problem however.  georges80 pretty much IS the design team, for the board anyway.  He originally made the Chammie board with 4 tables.  350,500,750, and 1000mA.  Charlie however, wanted an option to squeeze a little more out of it ( :thumbsup:).  So, the 5th table at 1200mA was created.  As I understand it, georges80 was not really happy about it but, hey, it's Charlies light so, we have 1200mA ( :thumbsup: again!).  The point being that at 1200mA with a J Vf bin. even more power is going through the board ( same 1200mA but higher voltage).  So, again, I hope you are correct but, as I see it, we are on the edge here.  :)

Dave

Offline tonyd

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »
Thanks. That why I ordered a Dammy. Your point is well taken though as I rarely use table 5. On the otherhand I don't need to as this thing produces that much more light with the UWOJ. Although I am often tempted by brighter is better, I have refrained here. Now if addtional CM become available :*)

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2006, 03:04:56 AM »
Now if addtional CM become available :*)

Yeah, I'm hoping.  :thumbup:

Dave