Author Topic: Anyone try a U bin in Chameleon, yet.  (Read 14833 times)

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
Anyone try a U bin in Chameleon, yet.
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:16:33 AM »
I seem to remember a post about someone going to try out a  J or K vf U bin in the Chammie.  Anybody hear anything, or are we waiting for the elusive H vf U bin?  Some one has to do this, but wait, it might end up being a joker U bin?  :confused1:

Bill

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone try a U bin in Chameleon, yet.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »
If someone has some good UXXJ - let me know!  I do not think there would be any serious difference in a TXXH and a UXXK - due to the differences in Vf - but would love to see someone do it if they have the time!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

EricMack

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:36 AM »
Stephen, I have 7 UX1J's laying around, though at least 6 are comitted to a project.
Shoot me a PM... :D

Offline DavidR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 12:39:25 PM »
Wouldn't the UxxJ run much cooler then the TxxH? I noticed my little Chammie gets plenty hot on high (5/5) ;)

I would love to try a UxxJ just to see the difference in output and also to have my Chammie run cooler. I like bright lights what can I say.

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
Wouldn't the UxxJ run much cooler then the TxxH?

My understanding (and I could certainly be wrong  :)) is that since a J Vf is less efficient than a H Vf that it would actually run hotter.  Possibly, the U star wouldn't run hotter but the driver would because of the higher voltage running through it.

EDIT:  Actually after thinking about it, The UxxJ would have to run hotter as well.  Given that VxA=Watts, since the current is regulated (would be the same with either star) and the voltage would be higher (approx 3.15V vs 3.39V) it would have to run hotter.  Brighter of course (U vs T) but, hotter.

Would be an interesting test for sure.  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:04:18 AM by 45/70 »
Eveready Economy Bright Light w/PR4 and "Heavy Duty" batteries

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »
Stephen, I have 7 UX1J's laying around, though at least 6 are comitted to a project.
Shoot me a PM... :D

Might be interested - but it seems that maybe it needs a trip to Dave instead!  ;)
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:38:51 AM »
What I would like to see is the Uxxx's that everybody said would be floating around at giveaway prices by now and pick up a H Vf bin.  Guess I'll just have to wait for the K2s to show up and deal with the probable "joker" configuration.  :disgust:

Also, edited my post above.

Dave

Offline Wilsonite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:53:47 AM »
from conversations I have had with Charlie and George on this topic, the problem is not necessarily the heat.  That is a consideration, but the problem lies with the amount of power(W that is required on the input.  At the J Vf levels, the input power(W) is too great for the switcher on the board.  You could run a J Vf, but cannot use table 5 (1.2A @ LED) only tables 1-4...

HTH,
Wilson
Hooked on Photonics works for me!

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »
from conversations I have had with Charlie and George on this topic, the problem is not necessarily the heat.  That is a consideration, but the problem lies with the amount of power(W that is required on the input.  At the J Vf levels, the input power(W) is too great for the switcher on the board.  You could run a J Vf, but cannot use table 5 (1.2A @ LED) only tables 1-4...

Pretty much what I was trying to say, you just said it better.  :thumbup:   I look at it like, Watts=Power=Heat=fried components, the last one IF, you push the limits.  ;)

In my original post I was addressing DavidR's
Wouldn't the UxxJ run much cooler then the TxxH? I noticed my little Chammie gets plenty hot on high (5/5) ;)

I would love to try a UxxJ just to see the difference in output and also to have my Chammie run cooler.

What I was saying is, with a Chammie board, it ain't gonna happen!  With a DD board like a LionCub, it's different.  You can, for example, replace the TXOJ with a UXOK.  What happens here is, the higher Vf of the UXOK in effect, adds more resistance to the circuit reducing both voltage and current (unregulated).  This results in lowering the Watts or, Power, thus reducing the heat generated.  Since however, you have a U bin now, with the higher flux rating, the output may be the same or, possibly, even a bit higher but, all will be running cooler.  :)

OK.  I may be FOS here but, hey!  :D  My 2 cents.

Dave

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 10:58:10 AM »

HTH,
Wilson

I thought 4/5 was higher than 5/4      so you could feasibly use all but 5/5 ...   Then again I could be FOS   ;)
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline 45/70

• Lots O' Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
I thought 4/5 was higher than 5/4      so you could feasibly use all but 5/5 ...   Then again I could be FOS   ;)

You are correct as far as I know.  By my extrapolation, Table 5 Level 4 should be about 583 mah.  So the top three output levels would be 5/5~1200 mah, 4/5~1000 mah and 3/5~750 mah followed by 5/4.

Hey, we can't all be FOS!  You have to take your turn!  :D

Dave

Offline bmstrong

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
How much brighter would you guys estimate the U to be?

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »
Assuming the same Vf - and same luck with the lottery - ~15%?

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »
Could be as much as 30% gain.  When I went from a T bin Aleph DB917 to a U bin U--K DB1000 my bounce test numbers on lux meter jumped from 10 to 13.5 using the Aleph III reflector.

Bill

Offline bmstrong

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »
15% to 30% is a nice jump. I may have to look around for one to put into a Ti Chammie...