Author Topic: Storm Damage!  (Read 2129 times)

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
Storm Damage!
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »
I was awakened about six this morning by the storms coming through. The house was shaking. I thought it was thunder, as lightning was flashing. Went back to sleep.

When I got out of bed hours later, the water pressure was off. They have been remodeling the school at the end of the road, and it's not unusual (though they haven't done it lately) for them to turn off the water. Put my shoes on and went to walk down to the school to see. Stopped dead in my tracks as I looked down the driveway. A huge branch, what is really half a tree, was down. Took out the garage, and broke the pipe to the washing machine below the cut off valve. Also damaged the back of the house in at least one place, crushed the eve and overhang and damaged the roof.

I have insurance and filed a claim, but they said the area's a catastrophe, and can't tell me when an adjuster will be out. I had a plumber come and he was brave enough to enter the collapsed garage and cap the pipes, so I have water but not hot. No biggie at this time of year here.He cut the gas off, just to be safe. Electric to the garage is turned off as well.

I'm grateful no one was hurt, and that I can probably live here in the mean time. I hate to have to deal with a claim, I've never filed one. I hope it goes well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:54:10 PM by TorchMan »
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
Re: Storm Damage!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »
Torchman - good luck.  I guess you are a sound sleeper.  :)

Offline BigHonu

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 12:10:53 AM »
Sorry to hear about the damage.  Good luck with the cleanup and insurance guys.

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:55 AM »
Thanks guys!

Harry,

BWaites said the same thing to me on CPF. It must be true. When I was awakened, the thunder and lighting were going off like crazy. I'm betting the shaking was the secondary effect. In my defense, weak as it may be, I was abuot five feet from a two ton window unit that was on, and went to bed around or after four thirty a.m. local time. Still, I must have been really sleeping hard. I'm just lucky that the gas line didn't erupt and I didn't wake up to a roaring fire, or never awaken at all!
Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74
LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chammie, TiChammie,RawNS

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:26:13 AM »
Wow, that really sucks. Glad you're safe.
Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!
Home of the ROP - and my projects, lights, and collected info

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
Thanks LightStream. Now I wait, wondering when the insurance will come out and start to to do something. Gives me a bit more insight to what those in disaster areas go through, but I'm fortunate not to literally be out of house and home.

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »
Well, thank God it didn't hit the actual house part of the house.  Glad everyone is safe.  Could've been much much worse.  My understanding (whether true or not) is that most insurance companies are quick to act on these "Act of God" circumstances.  There is serious pub involved for fast-acting insurance companies.  They can run adds for a year talking about how they saved the day.   :laughing7:

Well, keep your spirits up and be patient.  There's gotta be neighbors with worse damage than yours.  The insurance adjuster will be there soon.  We're with ya TorchMan.   :blinking:

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »
Good to hear ya aren't hurt and everyone is safe! 

And glad that you haven't been displaced!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 11:31:13 PM »
Thanks guys. They at least called today (insurance) and said they'll give me an appointment on Monday, it won't be earlier than Tuesday when they finally do come out.

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:22:56 PM »
Does it seem like slow insurance response to you guys if they don't come out until Friday, which is a week later?

Offline bwaites

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »
After a major storm, a week is OK.

Bill

Offline TorchMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 07:36:19 PM »
Thank you for answering, Bwaites. I can't wait to get this rolling, it's pins and needles just waiting for them. Well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline bwaites

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 08:30:06 PM »
No problem.

My rule of thumb has always been to look around and see if there are things like hospitals or other public service places still not attended to and then get worried if they are all cleaned up and I still haven't seen/heard from anyone.

We've had wind damage that took 2 weeks to get seen, and flood damage from water lines that took 2 hours. Depends on the work load, and if you had that kind of damage, I imagine lots of others, who maybe couldn't occupy their houses because of it, also did.

Good Luck!!!

Bill