Author Topic: 2D NIMH Quad-Lux K2 Maglite Mod-500 Lumens!  (Read 2319 times)

Offline MillerMods

• View Profile
2D NIMH Quad-Lux K2 Maglite Mod-500 Lumens!
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:36:29 AM »
The title pretty much sums it up. I can use 4 of my drivers set to draw 2.5 amps each from two 12 Ah NIMH D cells for a total current draw of 10 amps from the cells. Driving four K-2 luxes, this brute will pump out around 500 lumens for over an hour. 2D form factor using only 2 cells, and blinding output. Oh, and yes, that's 20 watts of high power LED light.

I will have this mod done as soon as I get the K-2's from 4sevens.

Offline HarryN

• View Profile
Re: 2D NIMH Quad-Lux K2 Maglite Mod-500 Lumens!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:24:25 AM »
Hi - Once you finish the "brute" version, I might be interested in one which drives the K2s at a more modest 800 - 1000ma each.  Is there any way to use one driver to run two K2s in series ?

I am really curious - I have seen pics of some of these 20 + watt mods built up, and since the heat is virtually all going into the hand - can a person really dissipate that many watts ?  It seems like you are approaching soldering iron kind of powers.

Offline Kenster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 03:10:03 AM »
Hi - Once you finish the "brute" version, I might be interested in one which drives the K2s at a more modest 800 - 1000ma each.  Is there any way to use one driver to run two K2s in series ?

I am really curious - I have seen pics of some of these 20 + watt mods built up, and since the heat is virtually all going into the hand - can a person really dissipate that many watts ?  It seems like you are approaching soldering iron kind of powers.

I have a quad Mag that belongs to 4Sevens right now. 4 TW0J I believe. It looks like it had a little trouble with heat. One of th LEDs looks like it got a little too warm. Still a very bright light! I would like to put 3 K2s in an Aleph 3. Maybe Miller would like to help me out with that project? Sounds like fun to me. I like Harry N idea of 800 - 1000ma :thumbup:

Ken

Offline MillerMods

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 09:11:19 PM »
Using 2 luxes in series is too much of a step-up to maintain good efficiency normally when only having 2-2.4 volts as your source. This brute would only be good for 10 minute intervals without better heat sinking I'm sure, but bright...Man it'd be bright. It probably makes more sense to stick with 3 watts to each lux for a manageable heat level. I can set the driver for anything between 350mA per lux to 1500mA from a 2.3 volt source, so options will be available. I just wonder if the stock mag switch can handle 10 Amps of current?

Offline MorpheusT1

• "VIKING"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
Is something like this possible with 2D or 2C Alkalines?

Id really like a setup like this providing it can run on both Alk and NIMH.

Benny

Offline MillerMods

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
The highest power that's reasonable with 2D alkalines is 1 watt per lux. I have this set-up right now and I love it. I'm using 3 RV1H's and I've done some testing for runtime but no graphs or charts. It was down about 20% in brightness after 2 hours of continous run with Energizer D's. 135 Lumens typical output is just amazing with IMS 20mm reflectors. It throws very nicely and stays cool even when it's just sitting on by itself. It's the brightest most versatile flashlight I own at present (until I get the 9 watt and 20 watt versions done). I've used these drivers in my L2P mods for awhile now, and I know the NIMH versions are going to be jaw dropping!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:11:00 PM by MillerMods »