Author Topic: 99 to go...........  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Pydpiper

• View Profile
Re: 99 to go...........
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »
I'm game for the celebration :D.
In this instance though it's like celebrating a stores millionth customer even though you know the guy standing at the door with the counter is clicking for no reason...

Offline BraddahBill

• Flashaholic
  • Lumens, don't know what it means, but I want some.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:26:49 PM »
Record companies award the artist a gold album to celebrate the 500,000 album sold, it doesn't matter if the owner no longer listens to or owns the album any more, it is a milestone in its own right. I am pretty sure when the larger forums were just beginning, they did the same thing, and it's just the nature of a new board growing. I will celebrate the 1000 member and hope to be around to celebrate the 10,000 member, which will be another milestone. :D

Lips, I love this…… :thumbup:

What's more noticeable/pertinent are the members that say have 19 post and 18 of them are negative, more-so than the zero posters...

Bill

Offline Beamhead

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 11:13:17 PM »

What's more noticeable/pertinent are the members that say have 19 post and 18 of them are negative, more-so than the zero posters...

Bill

Interesting, before this post I had 19 posts, however I would not consider 18 of them negative. Is your definition of negative not posting meaningless fluff or refusing to brown nose. :rolleye: Would defending yourself also be considered negative? I won't delete MY account so SOMEONE can use my user name for what ever reasons.  :popcorn: Please by all means celebrate what ever you wish, that is fine by me but be aware that such comments may be retorted. 8)

Offline fore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 02:03:07 AM »
Beamhead, I asked you a question...a simple yes or no question.  It was semi rhetorical but you could've taken the rebuttal.  I care nothing for any brown nosing, but what would you suggest we do?  Boot the new member because his username matches a dead account?  Reserve all usernames for all dead accounts?  Why was it such a big deal for your friend to unregister, and why shouldn't he expect that username to be fair game after he terminates his account?  Moreover, why can't he just pick another username?

What sort of nefarious shadow posse of ninjas is stalking you?  I can understand concerns of identity theft where someone might open credit cards in your name, but a flashlight forum handle...to me this is stretching things mighty thin.  Moreover, what sort of solution would you suggest?  (2nd time I'm asking)
that rug really tied the room together...

Offline Beamhead

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
Beamhead, I asked you a question...a simple yes or no question.  It was semi rhetorical but you could've taken the rebuttal.  I care nothing for any brown nosing, but what would you suggest we do?  Boot the new member because his username matches a dead account?  Reserve all usernames for all dead accounts?  Why was it such a big deal for your friend to unregister, and why shouldn't he expect that username to be fair game after he terminates his account?  Moreover, why can't he just pick another username?

What sort of nefarious shadow posse of ninjas is stalking you?  I can understand concerns of identity theft where someone might open credit cards in your name, but a flashlight forum handle...to me this is stretching things mighty thin.  Moreover, what sort of solution would you suggest?  (2nd time I'm asking)

OK I will step up, First are you a Mod/Admin here? Second a reply to my "friends" inquiry would be the least a forum mod/admin could do. Third, while you can't prevent them from using a username, you/whoever as a representative of the forum can inquire as to why they and or others are using TWO admin's names on another forum here. Then if you are not satisfied with the response or non response delete the accounts. As of now they BOTH have zero posts so I doubt they are that vital but that is just my opinion.

And last I don't concern myself about *any* nefarious shadow weenies. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:24:15 AM by Beamhead »

Offline fore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 03:01:18 AM »
Ha!  Good to hear from you Beamhead.  I'm a moderator here and quite often not a very good one. 

With regard to the obvious example.  There were inquiries made, but there was no response.  We've been watching the account but as you say there hasn't been much activity let alone anything like slander so the issue remains where it is.  I'm not sure who the second admin you're referring to but please pm me and let me know so we can keep an eye on that account as well.  I wasn't aware that the request for IP information wasn't replied to, please accept my apology for this oversite.

I understand why your friend might be upset by the situation, but short of the new user doing something bad, terminating the account for no reason seems unjustified to me.  My apologies for the shadow conspiracy comment, but I wanted to hear your thoughts and reasoning.  Still, that does not excuse my tone.  My apologies once again.

Regarding your third point, I have to say I don't agree with the premise.  You're asking us to block off certain names and chase down users and interrogate them as to their intentions good or bad or whatever.  I don't see that as an acceptable policy.  As long as they don't break any rules, there is no grounds for termination of the account.  FF is a pretty laid back place.  If trouble arises, we'll try to deal with it, but we're not here to make our membership jump through hoops.

It seems we're at an impasse.  At this point I hope you can accept my apology and agree to disagree.  I will bring up your concerns with the other moderators, but as I stated before, it's a situation we've been watching.  Still, there's nothing wrong with expressing your dissent.

Offline Beamhead

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 03:48:18 AM »
fore, pm sent.

No apology is needed about the shadow posse remark, I took it as good old natured ribbing, but thank you just the same. My response to it was meant in good fun but I will apologize too. Sorry. :)

As for the third point and our agreeing to disagree, this is your forum and you create the policy, what I think is of little to no import.

So maybe this thread can get back on topic.  :)

Offline fore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 04:23:40 AM »
Pm replied.  :)  I'm glad you didn't take offense.  I was ribbing as you were, but my tone was still out of line for a moderator.

Beamhead, this is not my forum.  I think the forum belongs to all it's members and everyone's views matter.  However, I think that the staff is charged with some responsibility for the stewardship of FF.  I see nothing wrong with dissent and disagreement so long as it doesn't degenerate into name calling and pointless bickering.  I also see nothing wrong with you raising your concerns, but we chose our course of action only after a lot of discussion between the mods and admins considering the implications.  I just wanted to make that clear.

Nothing wrong with getting the thread back on topic, but I think a little digression every now and again is healthy.  ;)

Offline Pydpiper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »
Knowing the mods are aware of the names being *reserved* is somewhat comforting.. Knowing they are being monitored for signs of abuse is just awesome! I was getting a little concerned someone would use those names to post, that would be a very low point... Why do I care?  For the love of light, thats why.. :)

Ok, celebrate away!

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »
Yes, we're watching the threads very closely and we do discuss cases in our moderator forum.  During the short history of FF, we have had private communication with certain problem members and these cases have generally all been handled very professionally from both sides.  So, knock on wood, we're pleased with how things are going overall. 

Offline steveH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 03:29:57 AM »
Here, I'll add one more "real" user to the forum.  That should help alleviate any of the doubts as to *my* authenticity, at least.

I probably won't post a lot, but I will read and learn as much as I can.  Never discount all of the members who lurk for a long time (perhaps forever) and never post.  I've been a member of many, many forums...some I've posted on, some I've posted on like a guy with OCD, and some I've never posted on.  It usually boils down to the overall atmosphere.  Trivialities like this thread has degenerated into do not help.  Just saying.

Now, let me go poke around the boards...

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 04:22:31 AM »
Here, I'll add one more "real" user to the forum.  That should help alleviate any of the doubts as to *my* authenticity, at least.

I probably won't post a lot, but I will read and learn as much as I can.  Never discount all of the members who lurk for a long time (perhaps forever) and never post.  I've been a member of many, many forums...some I've posted on, some I've posted on like a guy with OCD, and some I've never posted on.  It usually boils down to the overall atmosphere.  Trivialities like this thread has degenerated into do not help.  Just saying.

Now, let me go poke around the boards...

Poke away, Steve.  This place is fun!  Welcome again.   :thumbup:

Offline Lips

• Flashaholic
  • Mighty Fine :>) - Tasha Nicole and Marisa Miller
    • View Profile
    • Paypal = vdcjr@comcast.net
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 06:10:32 AM »
 :lurk:
Fire Foxes FF4 in stock and ready to ship.
You can send me a PM me here at site or contact me directly at FireFoxes@comcast.net for information.
Prices and info at the top of this post:
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 05:44:58 PM »
I don't want to stir the fire too much here -

Does CPF regularlly respond to requests by users by offering up users information, IP addresses, etc?  If so, I would be personally concerned that my information is being given to a third party.  'course it would help solve a few the few bad eggs who are cheating others in B/S/T......

Sorry I missed the discussion - I thought everybody was gettin' all fired up for:

member #1000
WOOHOO!
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Pydpiper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 01:23:43 PM »
I doubt any forum would surrender personal information about another member, but I don't think that was ever the issue. I think it was an issue of someone registering under a name that was a duplicate with their administration. For instance, if someone registered as "Mr Bulk" at CPF it would probably raise an eyebrow, or two. It would be a different world if simple requests for information were granted. The BST would be a different place but that's just the tip of the iceberg..

I don't want to stir the fire too much here -
Does CPF regularlly respond to requests by users by offering up users information, IP addresses, etc?  If so, I would be personally concerned that my information is being given to a third party.  'course it would help solve a few the few bad eggs who are cheating others in B/S/T......