Author Topic: What was your first expensive light?  (Read 36928 times)

Offline Stormdrane

• ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • View Profile
    • Stormdrane's blog
Re: What was your first expensive light?
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2005, 12:37:40 AM »
I bought my first 3D Maglight in the summer of 1988.  $20 for a light was alot of money for a guy just out of high school. 

Offline wallyrulz

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2005, 01:12:13 AM »
I blame Charlie. 

I bought an Arc AAA in '99.  Saw it from ritter's site.  Still carry it everyday on my keychain.

Discovering a certain forum and Mister Bulk lights a few years later did it though.  I could not believe I was spending $235 for a flashlight, but I have had it with me ever since that early Christmas present arrived.  My Lionheart has been in the shop twice.  Once for V2 upgrade, and once for switch repair.  I was like a lost puppy without it.  I use it all the time. 

I can't afford to buy as many as some, but I have a decent knife (Buck Mayo) Multitool (Charge) and Flashlight (Lionheart) with me all the time.  People used to make fun of me for carrying multitools all the time (since 1995) but guess who they're always asking for pliers or a screwdriver.  Now I get the same flak for flashlights, but once again how often do the same folks say "I need a flashlight, where's Paul"

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2005, 04:31:49 PM »
You bring up a good point about people making fun of the prepared.  People don't respond to the knife/multi-tool anymore (as so many people have them now), they still find it amazing that I have a light (or 2 or 3) with me even during the daylight.  But usually they see it when they need it so they don't complain too much otherwise I put it away.....
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline BuddTX

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2005, 05:09:58 PM »
PRINCETON TEC SURGE

AND

BRINKMANN LEGEND LX

The Surge is still one of my favorite lights. good run time, takes AA batteries, great beam, very small and compact for a 8-AA light, nice reflector, did I mention that this sucker is BRIGHT?

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2005, 05:35:58 PM »
OK I decided to list my 1st expensive lights by price range as we all know that the word expensive has changed a few times now....
At every occasion, I thought, "man that is expensive, but.....)

1st reusable light that I remember: (Age 5) Single AA plastic light - approximate cost 69 cents

1st metal light - Cub Scout Light (2 C if I remember).  I wish I still had this light! (estimated cost $2.00? it was expensive as it was offcial scout gear)

1st large light was the free Radio SHack 5 Cell light.  With enough battery club cards, this was so much fun!  Actually free but I had to list it....

OK now onto adulthood......

$10 MiniMag (I went through many mainy due to them being stolen, and one got munched and shattered by a lawn mower)

$15 Fluoresent Lantern (Everready if I remember correctly, with 2 latern batteries.  Moving reflector for "throw")

$20 Mag3D  This light has been everywhere and used for everything.  I am now contemplating modding it with a MR16 if I can get some more battery adapters cheap.

$25 LedLenser 3 LED light / 3N batteries- this was the killer light for work.  Everytime I needed light for fixing network, server, circuit issues, it was ALWAYS in the breifcase.  Now it sets on a shelf :(.

$30 SF G2  This light along with the Drop-In (another 35-40 bucks) set the addiction on fire.  Oh and also a UCL (another $7)...  Before that I was overdriving bulbs in Eveready lights.....

$50 SF E2e

$75.00 C2

$100 Mag85 (since this is a collection of parts vs. a seperate light, I will also list the)

$100 ORB RAW

$150 Bare LC

$200 Brass LC

Poverty....

There are bunches of other lights that fit into the $30-$100 range since then..... Much more fun sometimes to buy 2 or 3 less expensive lights instead of one expensive model.....

But then again which of these lights is expensive?

Had to repost it since I can never figure out what expensive means anymore....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:37:54 PM by Geologist »
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline BuddTX

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2005, 06:16:01 PM »
PRINCETON TEC SURGE

AND

BRINKMANN LEGEND LX

The Surge is still one of my favorite lights. good run time, takes AA batteries, great beam, very small and compact for a 8-AA light, nice reflector, did I mention that this sucker is BRIGHT?

Me Too.  I thought that a 20 and 35 dollar light was way expensive, back then!

Offline Solstice

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »
It seems that a lot of us view the $50 mark as the gateway to "expensive," myself included (although much less so now than a year ago).

I had several good lights, including a few colored Arc AAAs and an Inova T1 before breaking that $50 barrier.

When I did, it was an exactly $50 "Diamond" 3C LuxIII baton light. I wanted a larger "brighter" light, and it was my first LuxIII- I liked the style of it, and the build quality/feel is actually very nice. I didn't know much about regulation at the time, however, so as could be expected, it doesn't stay super bright for all that long.

Like many others, this "gateway" was followed up by the more "hardcore" Inova T3, Surefire L1, HDS Basic 60 (all of which I sadly am selling over on the other currently down site). While I appreciate nice lights, I can't justify the expense right now (saving for a laptop and grad school).

It's kind of funny since I've more or less come full circle in my light philosophy- a very good quality light for not a whole lot of money is more rewarding and impressive to me than an excellent quality light for lots of money. My EDC, the Fenix L1P v2.0, is a good example of this.

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2005, 06:03:31 PM »
My VIP, $162.00 shipped, or close to that.  Then I got the add on parts!! 

Bill

Offline cyberhobo

• View Profile
    • Moonlake Rottweiler Club
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2005, 06:12:56 PM »
MAG rechargeable +/- $100.00.

Offline cratz2

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »
Hrmm... I think my first 'more than a Mag' was a Brinkmann Legend LX.

Right now, I think my most expensive light is a 2C Mag with a UX1L on a Wiz2 937 running on two LiONs.

Also have an ARC AAA modded my LED_ASAP with a 1W Luxeon at 400 mA which would be the absolute last light I'd ever sell.

Haven't made the jump to the big leagues though I've bought enough < $100 lights to probably buy any single light period!

I'd love a Aleph III head with a 3W of some sort on a 3 cell body on 2 168s.

Offline Bullzeyebill

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2005, 06:31:39 PM »
cratz2, you might need a four cell body for those two 168s' with Aelph III head. 

Bill

zeissOEM2

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2005, 08:09:59 PM »
Magcharger in 1988
Magcharger in 1992
Magcharger in 1994/1995
Zeiss 250 in 2002
Surefire U2 Ultra in 2005
waiting for a M*g 85 and in desember a Tiger for my kids

Offline MorpheusT1

• "VIKING"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2005, 08:51:58 PM »
I got addicted this year! :dontknow:

My first,
A Pimped out Q-III with 2-stage and dorcy circuit.    105 USD
Q-III DD R/O luxIII

And the list continues.
======================================
LITEmania HA3 Nat Q-III with 2-stage and TXOK.   65 USD
Modamag Quad MagSc w/R/O Lux III Dimmable.
Modamag Minestrois MagSc(Tri-lux) TWOJ Dimmable.
Bare Al Li-on Cub+ LH+168A tube
Dspeck FF2
Ha Nat Aleph1 2x123 DB917 TWOJ
Chrome Tri lux Aleph 3  BB500 TWOJ By Icarus
Orb Raw Two-stage
======================================

And this is what i have commin my way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quad TXOK Mag 2-1/2C 2+2 DD w/Li-on Cub circuit
By Icarus
 :naughty:

2 of those new Mr.Bulk lights ;)

Couple o fenixes L1P

And the Son of Raw...

Man,
I have it Bad....
 :confused2:

I wonder what next year will look like.... :woot:

Benny

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:06:32 AM by MorpheusT1 »

Offline Readerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
I always had lots of flashlights around. I probably had 10-15 different relatively cheap lights around the house. The most expensive was a Lightwave 4000 that I bought off of eBay. I knew I was in trouble when I got one of each color LED of the Photon IIs. Then, about a year ago, I bought the Inova XO3 at Sharper Image during a trip on a whim. Despite the weird rings from the TIROS lens, I loved the throw and the flashlight. Still do!

Then I saw a Surefire E2E at a Bass Pro Shop near here, bought that, and that was the beginning of the end. After a few more Surefires (L1, L4, E1E), I sprang for my raw LionCub, which I've had a couple of weeks. So I guess you could say that I started small, but got hooked on the bigger stuff quickly. Now I can't wait for the Chameleon I preordered. It's kind of like a drug addiction - start out small and work your way up - but it's a lot more healthy!

--Bob

Offline cratz2

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2005, 01:43:24 AM »
cratz2, you might need a four cell body for those two 168s' with Aelph III head. 

Bill

Well, that's what I mean you silly...     >:(