Author Topic: What was your first expensive light?  (Read 36930 times)

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
Re: What was your first expensive light?
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2005, 01:56:40 AM »
Surefire 6P that I bought as a Christmas present for a good friend who was the only other person I knew of at the time who was "into" flashlights. I did what any good flashaholic did and bought one for myself too. Then I found CPF and just had to get a M3.† Then I learned the phrase " EDC" and just had to get an E2E in Jungle Camo ;). Then the ARC LS First Run #156 which was a winner in the Luxeon lottery and remains one of my most prized possessions. Then... oh you know.

Wow I got a SF 6P for christmas once to :rolleye: Its all been uphill from their. Cant wait to see the K2's

Yep. 6P for me, too.  Bought it at a police supply store.

Offline simbad

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2005, 11:11:37 AM »
My LSHF-P, I love that light.

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
  • Send me all your lights!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »
OK I decided to list my 1st expensive lights by price range as we all know that the word expensive has changed a few times now....
At every occasion, I thought, "man that is expensive, but.....)

1st reusable light that I remember: (Age 5) Single AA plastic light - approximate cost 69 cents

1st metal light - Cub Scout Light (2 C if I remember).  I wish I still had this light! (estimated cost $2.00? it was expensive as it was offcial scout gear)

1st large light was the free Radio SHack 5 Cell light.  With enough battery club cards, this was so much fun!  Actually free but I had to list it....

OK now onto adulthood......

$10 MiniMag (I went through many mainy due to them being stolen, and one got munched and shattered by a lawn mower)

$15 Fluoresent Lantern (Everready if I remember correctly, with 2 latern batteries.  Moving reflector for "throw")

$20 Mag3D  This light has been everywhere and used for everything.  I am now contemplating modding it with a MR16 if I can get some more battery adapters cheap.

$25 LedLenser 3 LED light / 3N batteries- this was the killer light for work.  Everytime I needed light for fixing network, server, circuit issues, it was ALWAYS in the breifcase.  Now it sets on a shelf :(.

$30 SF G2  This light along with the Drop-In (another 35-40 bucks) set the addiction on fire.  Oh and also a UCL (another $7)...  Before that I was overdriving bulbs in Eveready lights.....

$50 SF E1e

$75.00 C2

$100 Mag85 (since this is a collection of parts vs. a seperate light, I will also list the)

$100 ORB RAW

$150 Bare LC

$200 Brass LC

Poverty....

There are bunches of other lights that fit into the $30-$100 range since then..... Much more fun sometimes to buy 2 or 3 less expensive lights instead of one expensive model.....

But then again which of these lights is expensive?
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Lightstream

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »
Reminds me of my 2C Eveready thin-as-a-coke-can-aluminium light! I can pick this one up at the nearest hardware store for $1.25. Yeah, no kidding. $1.25, same price as That Famous (infamous?) Keychain Light. Guess which one I'd rather have.. and guess which one puts out better output (the LED has a good chance of winning especially if I give it the 26K/35K treatment)

Then comes the $15 Maglite 2AA, what a kickass, properly built aluminium light! Well, it's hard to deny that they did get the machined housing right. That was ten years ago.

Introduced to the $15 Solitaire round the time of the dotcom crash, it was just amazing to have a LIGHT on a keychain at all. Lost one to corroded alkalines. Second one was forcibly retired.

Encountered the $20 Photon in early 2002. Wore it together with the Solitaire, but one night trekking through the grass, both it and the solitaire were totally inadequate - even when used together. Got really hopping mad.

Bit the bullet and shelled out money for the $75 Surefire E1e in early 2004. Had to make an extremely difficult call between 60 lumens (E2e) and pocketability of E1e (15 lumens). Went with the E1e, figuring it would be the last light I would ever need to buy. Blindingly bright, or so I thought at that time. (at this point the "famous last words" have already been said and there is no turning back...)

E1e bulb blows 4 months later after intensive use, withdrawal symptoms set in IMMEDIATELY. Decided to go for the $56 KL1 LED conversion, but needed an opinion. Stumbled across this bunch of "flashaholics". What a bunch of basket cases talking about nothing but lights! :rotflmao:

... the rest is history....

Memorable moments - Surefire U2 Digital Ultra, $260 (:illtakeit: :Paypal: without thinking). bwaites USL, $300+++. Mag2HID, $250 (another "decide *NOW* or forever hold your peace" moment). L4 Lumamax, $140. HDS Basic 60 - free, thanks to Batterystation and their kickass raffle. I hope the funds we raised and the extra red and white keychain lights I sent made a difference in a time of crisis.

And what about my E1e vs E2e dilemma? I know where we come from our watchword is "BUY BOTH!" - yup, I eventually would acquire an E2e, actually a L4/Z57 body combo with an E2e bezel, a full L4, a PR-T head for the first L4 body, an E2e in satin gray, an E1e in satin gray, AND a KL1 in satin gray.  :icon_biggrin:
Flashlights Review Database (FLDB) - Read or contribute user reviews on all kinds of lights!
Home of the ROP - and my projects, lights, and collected info

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2005, 03:27:40 PM »
Yeah another memorable flashlight - after lurking and lurking and lurking, I finally signed up at CPF and right about the same time, I entered a raffle and one the Predator Extreme!  Wow!  Does it THROW for a 1 watt!  Too bad it appears that the entire head is locktited - would be interesting if it could be modded.

Makes you kinda wonder if the winning that light was what pushed me full force into this addiction....

fate.
Dragon, Ti, and Classic Chammies, Blk, Bare, & Brass LCs, Blk & Bare LHs, X990, Rayzorlite, The Torch, Mag85, MagGH24, SF C3, C2, 6P, G2, & Winelights, Peak Caribbean, Pacific, McKinnleys, + more , Exolion Ti, Orb Raw NS, SS Gatlight, Eternalights, Nuwai QIII, Inova X5THAs, X1, ARCs, + more?

Offline Grox

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2005, 12:32:23 PM »
I guess I went a different road to most of you - my first expensive light was the SFA2 which I got on BST for only 125 :)

Then I went on to get a q3, e2e + e2c + c2 bezel + p61, then hds edc ult xr 60, mag85...

I guess the next one will be a USL (hopefully!)

Offline tyler

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:52 PM »
My first was also an A2.  Actually, it is my only expensive light. 

I did own a LionHeart at one point, but I had to make a tough money decision and sell it.  As hunting season approaches, I have been thinking a lot about that ol' Lion.   :'(

Since selling the LionHeart, I have not been following the goings on in the flashlight world.  It kinda took out my steam.  The recent raffles in this forum have pulled me though, and boy is it fun to be back.  Only bad thing is now I'm Jones'ing for some more of Mr.Bulk's handi-work.  Dangerous, dangerous man, he.   ;)

Tyler

Offline daloosh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »
I think the first non-Mag, higher performace torch for me might have been the Streamlight Scorpion, and the first expensive light was the LSH-P.  And back then I thought that *was* expensive.  Lites have a totally different scale now!

daloosh

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2005, 05:46:59 PM »
My first expensive light was a mini-mag, bought in the very early 80ís. $14 was a lot of money but I had heard it was a very good brand.
 My next one was a SF 6P in the late 90ís, I think for $50. A real heart stopping price but a real nice light.
 In the early 2000ís, I was web searching for a brighter SF and came across  CPF. Itís been downhill from there. :D

Offline Geologist

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2005, 07:29:50 PM »
Yeah in general, once you have had a taste of high end lights, it is really hard to settle for plain ole Mag 3d or a minimag. 

My conclusion has been, yes they are expensive, but they are among the best that money can buy. 

There are many areas in life where we would like the "best that money can buy" - autos, houses, vacations, jewelery/watches, girlfriends - nevermind...... needless to say that I work for a NPO, so my money ain't buying a lot.....

but even though it aint a lot, but when the lights go out, I've got the best!  Other lights be d@mn3d!

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2005, 08:26:22 PM »
Geologist, you are so right
After my 6P purchase, my mini mag languished in a drawer until upgrades became available.

Offline Shade

• []D [] []\/[] []D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2005, 08:31:34 PM »
My first expensive light was a Lioncub.....
I've come to chew bubble gum and kick flashlights....and I'm all out of bubble gum

Offline Hayabusaz

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2005, 02:45:39 AM »
Mine was the SF L5.
It`s the first flashlight when I started this hobby. Before that the only torches I own are cheapo Eveready lights that cost less than 10 dollars.
I remember that I don`t even know much about SF then. So I just grabbed any SF that was available at a local store.(it was paid for by my bro as a christmas gift by the way!)
Never regretted and it`s still my most used light nowadays!!

Offline The Count

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2005, 07:36:54 AM »
My "first" expensive light was an Orb 3 watt with green tritium locator.
My wallet has since filed for separation.
Exolion Ti, Chamelion, Brass LC+Lh, BA LC+Lh,CPF LE #017 Blk LC+Lh, RPM Custom LC, LionHeart, McLuxIII PD, 2Orbs, 2Orb Raw, Raw NS, Inova: T1, T2, T3, T4, X5, Xo, 24/7 
SF: C3, A2, L2, G2, E2D, E2wine, E1wine 
Fenix: L0P, L0P SE, L1P  LedLenser V2-3 watt, & various others

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
Hey Count,

Oh, it'll do that a number of times now that you've discovered this afflic - er, hobby...;)

Wow Shade, I never knew.  Now I feel badly...

NOT!  Welcome to the misery - er, club! :headbang:

Hayabusaz, I still have my 5 and I still do use it - but I tried an E1 body tube and an R123 and it works even cooler!  Same seeming brightness but in a significantly smaller package...
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"