Author Topic: New Policy Regarding CPF -  (Read 8585 times)

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
New Policy Regarding CPF -
« on: July 24, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »
I have not officially said anything about this, preferring to step in only if things got nasty as I was unsure what Sasha's own position was until a very nice telephone conversation took place between us last week, and then I saw her post on the subject (quoted below) and thought I should finally state clearly what OUR position shall be.

You see, on a certain CPF thread with some OT replies questioning why Andrew was "plugging" for MBF, Sasha had this to say:

Sasha said:
Look guys... CPF is not in competition with MBF... :sigh: ... and anyone who thinks that MBF is in competition with CPF, well I would suggest you talk to Charlie about that... I'm pretty sure he'd tell you that it's only in your imagination. I have it directly from Charlie that MBF is NOT in competition with CPF.

And even if that WERE the case... who cares?!?! :rolleyes: Guys... the internet is definately big enough for both of us... I mean... seriously... think about that... :thinking:

AND... if some of you here on CPF are offended by some of the stuff being posted on MBF about CPF, then don't go there!! And definately don't lower yourself to the same level by posting the same stuff here on CPF. MBF bashing on CPF WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!! ... Did everyone get that?!?!?  :scowl: ... Bannings WILL be the result.

I don't care if people want to post links to something anywhere on the net... Please see CPF's Rules & FAQs #5 for how to properly post the links. And no hotlinking to images... See #3 for CPF's rules on that.

Let's move on guys... geez... this is really getting old and very smelly... :shakehead:

And my own reply to this in the thread:

MR Bulk said:
Well said fair maiden!  To the rescue once again!

Actually although I have not said it in as strong terms as Sasha, I feel it bears repeating over at MBF and will put something out quite soon.  Constructive criticism is cool and beneficial - as well as linking back and forth salient information germane to the thread at hand - but potshotting is definitely not.

So here's the straight skinny for all of us -- it was agreed between Sasha and I that if nothing else, MBF might serve as a place to vent.  However, you should do it constructively and objectively, with facts and points to back up your assertion, and leaving the subjectivity out.  And please also do it courteously - put your writing in terms you would use if explaining it to your Mom or some other respected person because fellow MBF'ers should indeed be regarded as esteemed and respected colleagues and peers.  Not to mention that anyone you are trying to convince is much more likely to BECOME convinced if your point is made in a classy and respectful way.

Thanks for reading (and hopefully adhering to) this Policy.  Nufsed.

MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline ViReN_CPF

• MBF Member Number u=161
    • View Profile
Re: New Policy Regarding CPF -
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 06:15:48 PM »
 :thumbup:
Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

Offline indenial

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:55:13 PM »
I respect and will adhere to your expectation of courtesy on this site Charlie.

In my opinion, however, I do not believe that the same standards can or should be applied to both forums. I say this for a few reasons. First, MBF has no CPFU counterpart. Consequently, this forum should provide a bit more latitude than what is being allowed by the onerous and arbitrary rulemaking evident on CPF. 

Second, I think most adults here know and appreciate what it means to be civil to one another. For those who do not, a more "common sensible" approach tailored to the individual situation would be far superior to simply banning someone for some arcane, technical violation. And as we have seen, even when there are rules they are often applied arbitrarily.

I pray that I can continue to post as I have on MBF. I always felt intimidated from doing so on CPF for fear of violating some dumb rule!

Offline andrewwynn

• Flashaholic
    • View Profile
    • MiniMighty Page
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »
re: charlie.. couldn'ta sedit betta myself..

indenial.. i don't really think you have much to worry about.. civil and friendly adhere to the golden rule and use @%@ when necessary to keep it PG might be a sumamry of sorts.. as i've mentioned in my UG posts.. thre really is not a spirit of mean over here and there really shouldn't be a spirit of mean over there either.

the 4-step process built in this BBSoftware makes it really convenient for an admin to give a very suble fair warning to somebody in an automatic way one step at a time

in any event.. it's good to get the concept out in the air.. and it's good that Sasha and MrB are on the same page regarding the co-existence of our new home and old home..

=-awr
Regulated hotwire driver. click here now for the Surefire M6
3-level high-power LED drop-in for mag. click here (coming soon)

Offline MaxaBaker

• High Intensity Delusions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 09:11:02 PM »
Sounds good to me :thumbup: :hello2:
01011001 01100101 01110011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01001000 01001001 01000100 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100001

Offline Datasaurusrex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
the 4-step process built in this BBSoftware makes it really convenient for an admin to give a very suble fair warning to somebody in an automatic way one step at a time
Wow, a warning system... now that is not only ingenious , it's down right FAIR.
Proudly surfing the WWW anonymously, when needed, using Torpark!   www.torrify.com

BC0311

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 11:51:32 PM »
MR Bulk said:
Well said fair maiden!  To the rescue once again!

Really ?    :icon_scratch:   

CPF/MBF>  :love6: ?   

I'll try to get used to the idea like a good little CPF/MBF  :icon_smurf:

Offline 3rd_shift

• Bedtime at sunrise! ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 03:55:15 AM »
I got banned from cpfu with little warning.  :thumbdown:
It was at a time when Sasha was under a lot of stress though.
So no hard feelings anymore on that on my side of it.  :)
I'm now glad I wasn't down there to be a part of any of the mess that came after until it finally rose to the top briefly.  :angel5:
Myself and most cpf'ers were having a good time topside  :wav:  :occasion18: :toothy4: :laughing6: :headbang: :hello2: :occasion16: :occasion14: :rolf: :wav: :glasses9: :hello:
while just a relative few were fighting below.   :cussing:  :boxing:   :angry5:  :argue:  :protest: :protest:  :protest:  :pottytrain2:  :puke:  :hal:
And, I'm just as glad to be here now on this and a few other forums on the net as cpf.  :thumbup: 8)
plantruler@hotmail.com
is my email and paypal address. :)
Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight. ;)

Offline flashlight

• Flashaholic
  • Too many flashlights, not enough money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 06:41:27 AM »
 :thumbup:
'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.'
Albert Einstein

Offline MR Bulk

• SUPREME GALACTIC COMMANDER and
  • Administrator
  • Flashaholic
  • Supreme Galactic Commander
    • View Profile
    • MR Bulk's Flashlight Website
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 06:56:30 AM »
Inde - thank you kindly for your well-reasoned input as usual.  Note that there is no restriction on content, as long as it is true and/or can be backed up with facts, unlike elsewhere lately.

The only real caveat as Andrew stated is to post unto others as you would have them post unto you.  And usually this can be covered by putting your writing in the same terms you would use if posting to your Mom or some other respected person because fellow MBF'ers and CPF'ers should indeed be regarded as esteemed and respected colleagues and peers.

Okay Britt, good boy! (heh heh).  I'll talk to you privately soon.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:39:55 AM by MR Bulk »
MR Bulk
Supreme Galactic Commander
"A day without sunshine is like...night"

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »
So it's sort of a "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" policy, eh?  Our mothers would be proud.  :toothy12:

Offline DavidR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 10:58:29 PM »
Sounds good Charlie... :thumbup:

Offline Mark2

• View Profile
    • PhotonForums
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »
Congrats on this forum! The predefined avatars are great!

I agree with Sasha, there is room for several flashlight related forums, and competition is good after all. Please delete this post if mentioning another (more general) flashlight forum is not allowed here. (It is not allowed on CPF.) ->www.photonforums.com

Offline raggie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »
well i will always love cpf  but i realy hate cpfu/some of there post there are  pretty much moronic im like wtf quit drinking the bong water or something.

Offline arewethereyetdad

• Flashaholic
  • 2008 National Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 10:37:02 PM »
im like wtf quit drinking the bong water

:rotflmao:  Good one Raggie!  :laughing4: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: